Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Trx4 single speed transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2022, 10:55 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Trx4 single speed transmission

Hello so my tactical trx4 transmission started as a 2sp now it is a single speed. And it starts getting warm really quick i have no binding parts not to much grease. And the power plant is a HH 3500kv puller pro brushless motor. With a 1/10 castle creation MX esc running 3s 11.1v batteries. And slipper eliminator kit. Drag brake ramp is at the slowest setting, Drag Brake is at 60% was going to lower it a bit like 45% i do a lot of flat terrain walking at the current moment. Still try to get to challenging terrain when i can.

What could be causing the transmission to heat up? So much.
Gearing is currently being adjusted it sits currently at 14/45 till i find that sweet spot for gearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2022, 11:37 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Trx4 single speed transmission

Well, I run 9/45 with an AXE V2 3300kv, and that still seems a little brisk-- though the gearbox never gets hot.

I have to ask-- did you take parts out, or did you just lock it into low gear?

When the gearbox heats up, does the motor/ESC get hot as well? Because if they don't, you've got something binding.

I have four TRX-4 gearboxes in service here-- three two-speeds and one single speed. None have ever heated up past ambient.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:11 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Well, I run 9/45 with an AXE V2 3300kv, and that still seems a little brisk-- though the gearbox never gets hot.

I have to ask-- did you take parts out, or did you just lock it into low gear?

When the gearbox heats up, does the motor/ESC get hot as well? Because if they don't, you've got something binding.

I have four TRX-4 gearboxes in service here-- three two-speeds and one single speed. None have ever heated up past ambient.
They all seem to be heating up around the same time. I tore open and dug up into the transmission at least 3 times now can not find a binding source as of yet if there is one. As for the the single speed conversion I got the one offered by traxxas same gearset for sport transmission.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2022, 12:23 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Forgot to mention that I got the hot racing aluminum transmission case not the stock plastic one. Ran it in the yard and it was 32°C outside when I last ran the truck.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Schs2013; 08-21-2022 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

So did a test of powered the motor up and let it free spinning up to approx* 45% throttle not connected to the transmission the motor started heating up with no load at a certain rpm range. The truck rolls smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trx4 single speed transmission - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beast II R3 Scale single speed transmission conversion? The Dark Knight Multi Axle Rigs 1 04-27-2022 03:48 AM
TF2 Transmission: R3 2-speed vs R3 single-speed vs R4 single-speed Panther6834 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 9 11-05-2019 12:40 PM