Rock Stacker

Default Hood mounted spare

Has anyone mounted the spare tire to the hood? And how did you do it. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
pieterv3814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2020, 11:24 PM   #2

Default Re: Hood mounted spare

i have seen it, honestly seems unrealistic in that the driver wouldn't be able to see, the CG is actually higher, but will move weight forward. 1 step forward two steps backward. but if you wanted to do it you would get washer and screw of length, and then just use the existing wheel nut to mount to the hood.
jimyoung2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:37 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimyoung2 View Post
i have seen it, honestly seems unrealistic in that the driver wouldn't be able to see, the CG is actually higher, but will move weight forward. 1 step forward two steps backward. but if you wanted to do it you would get washer and screw of length, and then just use the existing wheel nut to mount to the hood.
Alright thanks. Where else would you recommend mounting the spare? Or would you not have one

pieterv3814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:56 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The spare on the hood was back in the old Land Rover days. It would be hard to find skinny RC tires that would work like that in the attached picture.

There are lots of rear bumpers available with a tire mount, some swinging, but that puts the weight at the back and up high as well. It's doable but you would need some brass down low and biased to the front to balance things out. That makes your whole rig heavier, something most of us try to avoid. It depends how much you are willing to sacrifice performance to look scale.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterv3814 View Post
Alright thanks. Where else would you recommend mounting the spare? Or would you not have one

what body are you using? obviously the spare is just for scale look, but diminishes your lower center of gravity. I dont run one because i think the truck still looks cool without it.
jimyoung2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Same as above.. no spare on my d110. I will say that I really like the look of a spare mounted on back but it comes at the price of performance. My buddy's defender has a real spare mounted to the back but on steep hill climbs it has a tendency to wheelie and tip backwards. I wasn't willing to add that weight to the back of mine but I found that adding some lighter scale accessories filled the void. At this point I'm happy with how mine looks from the rear although I'll still probably add some hinges and window netting at some point. Maybe mount the spare to the rear and see how you think it performs. You can always remove it. But yeah.. I def wouldn't mount it on the hood.

high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Hood mounted spare - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tailgate or Bumper Mounted Spare San Juanson RC4WD Trail Finder 2 0 02-28-2017 10:47 AM
Front mounted Summit trans under hood? spoo76 General Scale Talk 0 09-25-2015 03:55 PM
My CC-01 Unimog with Spare Tires Mounted... Gimpdiggity Tamiya XC/CC01 3 07-29-2012 07:21 AM
1/6 Nylint mounted spare tires. Thorsteenster Tires and Wheels 0 03-21-2007 10:38 AM