Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Terrible wheel wobble - anyone balance their tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2020, 03:29 PM   #1

Default Terrible wheel wobble - anyone balance their tires

Hey all,

I just got finished putting my trx4 kit together.

All the tires wobble with the two driver side tires being very bad.

I have swapped the worst with a passenger side wheel and the wobble mostly follows, so I am fairly confident the wheels are the issue.

Not sure if I just really botched the gluing of the tires - which is entirely possible or if it is something else.

Has anyone else experience wobble on a brand new vehicle?

Can anyone recommend a balancer that will work with the trx4 wheels?
Foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Terrible wheel wobble - anyone balance their tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghat View Post
Hey all,

I just got finished putting my trx4 kit together.

All the tires wobble with the two driver side tires being very bad.

I have swapped the worst with a passenger side wheel and the wobble mostly follows, so I am fairly confident the wheels are the issue.

Not sure if I just really botched the gluing of the tires - which is entirely possible or if it is something else.

Has anyone else experience wobble on a brand new vehicle?

Can anyone recommend a balancer that will work with the trx4 wheels?
If you don't make sure they are glued perfect it happens. Just like Beadlock. If you don't get it just right it's really bad. Sometimes it's the foams and you can massage them to straighten it out but if it's the beads you would have to reglue them to get it right.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Wheel or tire run out(wobble) has nothing to do with balance. I assume you are referring to the TRX4 kit wheels/tires. It is possible to glue tires on wrong and that can be problematic. The internal foams can and do get deformed when you mount any crawler tire which is why you must spend some time kneading the tire to work the foam into place inside the tire. In answer to your question, you do not need a balancer it will do nothing to address wobble. You just need to spend some time working the foam into place by hand. Also, crawler tires tend to wobble less the more drive time you put on them.

Last edited by Inspector86; 02-16-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
If you don't make sure they are glued perfect it happens. Just like Beadlock. If you don't get it just right it's really bad. Sometimes it's the foams and you can massage them to straighten it out but if it's the beads you would have to reglue them to get it right.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
I wish I would have thought to put the wheels on the truck before I glued them to see if they were true. The tires came mounted, given this, not sure why they didn’t come glued as well - as I assume they do in the RTR version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Wheel or tire run out(wobble) has nothing to do with balance. I assume you are referring to the TRX4 kit wheels/tires. It is possible to glue tires on wrong and that can be problematic. The internal foams can and do get deformed when you mount any crawler tire which is why you must spend some time kneading the tire to work the foam into place inside the tire. In answer to your question, you do not need a balancer it will do nothing to address wobble. You just need to spend some time working the foam into place by hand. Also, crawler tires tend to wobble less the more drive time you put on them.
Yes. The wheel/tire combo that came with the kit.

The tire came mounted - so I assume the foams were not deformed?

I have no gluing technique - just tried doing 4 equidistant points on each side of wheel - as per the instructions. But I did not think to pay attention to amount of glue at each point or to line up the points on both sides of the wheel - if that is even what you are supposed to do.

I will try see if I can tell if the foams are seated properly. Assuming the glue is the issue, what are my options here?

I will also try drive around a bit and see if that helps.

Can you elaborate on why balancing would not help - again, assuming the foam is properly seated.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

As to glue it depends on the type. short answer.. Rim metal or plastic, metal you have a better chance of removing tire and scraping the glue off the rubber and rim.... it will take some effort, not impossible

pep
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheRipper View Post
As to glue it depends on the type. short answer.. Rim metal or plastic, metal you have a better chance of removing tire and scraping the glue off the rubber and rim.... it will take some effort, not impossible

pep
Ya. The rims are plastic. I cannot see myself cleaning those off only to try glue again and mess it up again.

Am inclined to just purchase the traxxas premounted/glued canyon trail tires.

Or maybe some beadlock wheels to use on my existing tires - just not sure how well they would work with with previously glued wheels. Or how difficult it is to install beadlock wheels properly - all those hex bolts looking like a bloody pain.

Terrible wheel wobble - anyone balance their tires - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel Wobble Farmers00 Vaterra Twin Hammers 26 03-20-2014 10:50 PM
New (Used) Summit - Wheel Wobble MailManX Traxxas Crawlers 13 02-21-2014 03:58 PM
Tire wobble is terrible! Any suggestions? Acs23 Axial Wraith 8 08-18-2013 01:36 PM
Wheel Wobble h8z2luze Team Losi Comp Crawler 8 07-13-2009 09:52 AM
Wheel Wobble JaDeR Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 03-30-2009 11:41 PM