Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Strange Diff Issue with locking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Strange Diff Issue with locking

So I just got my rig today, and according to the person I got it from it came this way from Traxxas. At any rate the way the diffs lock is beyond strange. It is Rear Lock, Front Lock, Full Unlock... Instead of the normal Rear Lock, Full Lock, Full Unlock. Really would love to get Full Lock lol, any help would be appreciated.
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Strange Diff Issue with locking

I don't know for certain, but sounds to me like it is a servo direction issue. Like maybe the servo for the front diff lock is backwards. This is pure speculation, but damn, it sounds good!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
ebbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

It sounds like they may have plugged in the servos backwards if thats possible or they programmed it wrong.

If you have or pick up a Traxxas link you can use their app to adjust your servos to get them back to normal. It may just take some trial and error, reverse the servo then check until you got it dialed.

Or they may send you a new truck if you contact them (they seem to do that a lot), except you're not the first owner so maybe not.

It seems like you might have full lock at the middle position, or does it unlock the rear?

Or is it possible the toggle switch just got spun 180 degrees on the transmitter?

Here's my transmitter, it has a notch in the switch facing the front as you hold the controller

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-12-2017 at 09:12 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

they are not gonna replace a truck. lol All you need to do is switch the servo direction on the transmitter. It's in the manual.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:53 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by malickie View Post
..Instead of the normal Rear Lock, Full Lock, Full Unlock..
no, that's not the normal way from traxxas.

out of the box, it's:
1. switch back .. all unlock
2. switch middle .. front lock
3. switch forward .. front and rear lock
ubernewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:40 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Currently my is:

1. Switch Back .. Rear Lock
2. Switch Middle .. Full Lock
3. Switch Forward .. Front Lock
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:46 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

first step would be to try a controller reset. it's possible channels may be reversed. in fact, it sounds like your rear servo channel (don't know which that is off the top of my head. 5 maybe?) is definitely reversed, as it's doing the exact opposite of what it should be doing. 1&2 should be off, 3 on. you have 1&2 on, 3 off. the front one is correct as is

Last edited by ubernewb; 07-13-2017 at 12:48 AM.
ubernewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:14 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Sounds more like the previous owner did something. I bet the diff lock servos are plugged into the receiver backward. People were trying that to get rear lock not front lock and would end up with a situation similar to this.

Could also be in the radio, and best bet would be a full reset.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:01 PM   #9

Hey guys,
I’m new to the Hobby.
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what could cause a front differential servo to “move on its own”?
If I have the remote switch to fully unlocked and swap it to the front lock position (middle position)... the front differential doesn’t seem to engage all the way, & if I swap back to fully unlocked, the front servo goes haywire and starts spazzing our moving back and forth? Almost like it’s glitching back and forth. Not too familiar with these things completely just yet. Recently got into the hobby as something to do with the nephew, but recently have found myself playing with this thing solo as well. It’s hard not to take it out as these things are pretty awesome.

I have a Trx4 79 Bronco version.
It’s basically stock besides the mods listed below.

-1.9 bead lock wheels
-1.9 BFG M/T’s
-ESS Dual plus
-Mytrickrc light kit
-12mm wheel spacer kit
-Front bumper brush guard w/lights
-Bronco spare tire kit/mount
-Some Custom paint added
-A newbie behind the controls ����

I’m new to this site as well. Actually just registered, in hopes I could possibly get some answers as to what’s going on with the Crawler & maybe some solutions on how to fix it! Thanks in advance guys. If I knew how to upload a pic of it on here I would.
Kanuspel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Unplug the questionable servo from the reciever. Plug the "known good" rear lock servo in its place. If it now works properly, you have a bad front lock servo. If the issue remains then either the reciever or the actual switch on the radio is bad. The reciever will also do weird things if even a drop of water gets on the circuit board. I've only had all 3 of these issues in the course of a year. Long term solution was moving away from all the stock electronics. The switch in the radio is fairly easy to change. I pulled the radio apart and matched the switch up at a hardware store.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Unplug the questionable servo from the reciever. Plug the "known good" rear lock servo in its place. If it now works properly, you have a bad front lock servo. If the issue remains then either the reciever or the actual switch on the radio is bad. The reciever will also do weird things if even a drop of water gets on the circuit board. I've only had all 3 of these issues in the course of a year. Long term solution was moving away from all the stock electronics. The switch in the radio is fairly easy to change. I pulled the radio apart and matched the switch up at a hardware store.
Hey meatmonkey,

I’ll give this a try sometime this weekend & see if it fixes the problem or at least clarifies somewhat what might be going on. I was thinking of swapping out the electronics soon. I’ve seen some videos on YouTube that are of people who swapped out their ESC, Motors, & servos. It looks pretty awesome though with some of the upgrades I’ve seen people do to theirs. Definitely cool that you can really customize these things and get a little more excitement out of them just by swapping out some items on them like that. I’ve actually thought about getting a new remote too, because I’ve seen a guy on YouTube put on some things that allows him to control his mytrickrc light kit from the remote he bought. (can’t remember what they were called though, will have to check the comments/msgs he left me letting me know what to get to make it work).

I’ve got some vids of my rig on YouTube as well. My name on YouTube is the same as here. Also have a video up of a DIY 1/10th scale trailer I built to pull behind my Bronco. Haven’t added vids of pulling it yet but it’s pretty cool. Made it with a independent suspension, & it’s like a 2 for one trailer. Looks like a Camper style, but I can remove the shell and use it as a flatbed trailer too. Because I plan on getting the Trx4 Blazer version sometime this year too.

I greatly appreciate the information though, & will give it a try once I get the time to tinker with her again!! Thanks again Meatmonkey!

-Kanuspel
Kanuspel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:13 PM   #12

i just unpackaged my trx4 with a bad transmitter that would not activate the transmision servo, but i would try resetting factory transmitter settings based on the trx4 as well as testing all the channels on receiver by plugging some servos into other channels and making sure all are functioning on the other channels.
jimyoung2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Strange Diff Issue with locking - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
strange radio issue 1375 Traxxas Crawlers 2 08-12-2013 02:29 PM
Strange glitching issue aircruiser Electronics 5 10-04-2012 10:56 AM
Strange issue, please help. Beej Axial Wraith 12 02-03-2012 04:29 PM
A strange issue. 92xjlaredo Axial SCX-10 11 12-30-2011 06:37 PM
Strange Electrical Issue JeremyH Electronics 8 07-04-2008 06:45 AM