Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: grey's 2017 Wrangler TRX4 Sport Unassembled Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2020, 11:57 AM   #1

Default grey's 2017 Wrangler TRX4 Sport Unassembled Kit

Hello All, I just subscribed to rccrawler after lurking for some time and am excited to share my own very first build; a TRX4 Sport Unassembled Kit with a SCX10.2 2017 Wrangler body. I picked the Unassembled Kit because I knew I wanted to choose my own components, for it's quality of parts and for the detailed instruction guide. I was not disappointed with my decision. As for the body it took me longer to decide on one. I went back and forth on a few options but finally decided to go with an unfinished Axial 2017 Wrangler Unlimited. I realize there are many other Wranglers already out there but I couldn't deny my love of Jeeps. I also have a love for graphic design so I will be creating some of my own parts as well as using some parts from other designers on Shapeways. My first custom part is a new tail light that will fit inside in the Knight Customs Smittybilt Rear body armor. I have a few more parts in the works as well. More to come.

I want to thank carpetfuzz17 for answering my questions and for documenting so much of his process to fit this body on his TRX4 TRX-4 2017 Jeep JK; and I also wanted to thank rpm for his build threads RPM's Traxxas TRX4 JK Wrangler Build and RPM's TRX4 JK Wrangler Build. They both have provided much needed inspiration, ideas and advice! Thank you guys!

I have a little wiring left to finish, to test the electronics and then I can start working on the inner fenders. I will be posting my modifications as often as possible in this build thread, as I enjoy building just as much as anything else, but progress will be slow as we had a new member of the family join us three weeks ago. I have found myself with a bit less free time lately!

Attached some images of the body roughly sitting on the chassis. I also made myself a component/wiring diagram - see attachments - to keep it all straight in my head and to share with other newbies.
Attached Images

Last edited by grey; 11-01-2020 at 05:48 PM.
grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2020, 11:57 AM   #2

Default Re: grey's 2017 Wrangler TRX4 Sport UA Kit

Part List

Chassis: Traxxas TRX4 Sport Unassembled Kit
Motor: Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster Sport 550 Brushed Motor (21T)
ESC: Hobbywing QuicRun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC (2-3S)
BEC: HeyOk No Brainer BEC (Dual Channel & Dual XT60 Connectors)
Servo: ANNIMOS 25KG Digital Servo Full Metal Gear High Torque Waterproof for RC Car Crawler Robot Control Angle 270°
Battery: Gens Ace Adventure 3S 50C LiHV Battery Pack w/XT60 Connector (11.4V/4300mAh)
Transmitter: Spektrum RC DX5C 5-Channel DSMR Surface Radio
Receiver: Spektrum RC SR6100AT Receiver
Spur Gear: Traxxas 8053 45-Tooth Spur Gear (TRX-4)
Pinion Gear: Traxxas 6747 11-T Machined Steel Pinion Gear, 32P

Body: 2017 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited AX31578 (Axial SCX10 II)
Interior: Pro-Line PL-C Interior
Wheels: SSD RC 1.9" Steel 8 Spoke Beadlock Wheels (Black)
Tires: Pro-Line Class 1 BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 1.9" (4.19" OD) Rock Terrain Truck Tires
Hubs: SSD RC +3mm Offset Wheel Hub w/Brake Rotor; SSD RC Scale Rear Hubs (Black)

Misc:
Tamiya PS-62 Pure Orange
Tamiya PS-55 Flat Clear
Tamiya PS-1 White
Tamiya PS-5 Black
Traxxas 8080 Narrow Inner Fenders
Yeah Racing TRX4 Aluminum Servo Mount Black
AX31574 Axial Body Details 2017 CRC JK
AX31572 Axial Front Fender Flares CRC JK
AX31575 Axial Rear Fender Flares CRC JK
Knight Customs AJ10018 Hood Latch (2 pairs)
Knight Customs JK17011 2017 JK Rear door hinges
Knight Customs JK17009 Smittybilt Rear body armor
Knight Customs AJ10019 Rear lights JK
Knight Customs JK17006 2017 JK ANGRY Grill
Knight Customs JK17005 2017 JK Grill light lens
Knight Customs JK17022 Smittybilt Stingray Hood
MOHERO 2 Leds Angel Eyes & Demon Eyes LED Light Headlights for 1/10 RC Model Crawler Cars Headlamps (Purple+Yellow, 22mm)
totalelement.com 1/2 x 1/4 x 1/8 Inch Strong Neodymium Rare Earth Ring/Donut Magnets N52 (20 Pack)

I still need to choose a light controller and bumpers; and I may pick up some 80mm shocks to get lower.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: grey's 2017 Wrangler TRX4 Sport Unassembled Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey View Post
Hello All, I just subscribed to rccrawler after lurking for some time and am excited to share my own very first build; a TRX4 Sport Unassembled Kit with a SCX10.2 2017 Wrangler body. I picked the Unassembled Kit because I knew I wanted to choose my own components, for it's quality of parts and for the detailed instruction guide. I was not disappointed with my decision. As for the body it took me longer to decide on one. I went back and forth on a few options but finally decided to go with an unfinished Axial 2017 Wrangler Unlimited. I realize there are many other Wranglers already out there but I couldn't deny my love of Jeeps. I also have a love for graphic design so I will be creating some of my own parts as well as using some parts from other designers on Shapeways. My first custom part is a new tail light that will fit inside in the Knight Customs Smittybilt Rear body armor. I have a few more parts in the works as well. More to come.

I want to thank carpetfuzz17 for answering my questions and for documenting so much of his process to fit this body on his TRX4 TRX-4 2017 Jeep JK; and I also wanted to thank rpm for his build threads RPM's Traxxas TRX4 JK Wrangler Build and RPM's TRX4 JK Wrangler Build. They both have provided much needed inspiration, ideas and advice! Thank you guys!

I have a little wiring left to finish, to test the electronics and then I can start working on the inner fenders. I will be posting my modifications as often as possible in this build thread, as I enjoy building just as much as anything else, but progress will be slow as we had a new member of the family join us three weeks ago. I have found myself with a bit less free time lately!

Attached some images of the body roughly sitting on the chassis. I also made myself a component/wiring diagram - see attachments - to keep it all straight in my head and to share with other newbies.

Thank you for the kind words it greatly appreciated glad I could help you out with your build. If you need any help or advice on what I did please send me a PM as I don’t check in here at all ( only found out about this from Animalhippie). I still have me TRX4 so I can reference things off of it.
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:01 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Assuming that the new addition to the family is a baby and not an unemployed brother in law sleeping on the sofa... Congratulations!

Great looking project. I think you'd be happier with a stronger/ better servo but at least it's not the Traxxas 2075x. Appears that you've really studied things and are headed in a smart direction. Will be following along.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetfuzz17 View Post
Thank you for the kind words it greatly appreciated glad I could help you out with your build. If you need any help or advice on what I did please send me a PM as I don’t check in here at all ( only found out about this from Animalhippie). I still have me TRX4 so I can reference things off of it.
Thanks again; I am sure I will have more questions and I'll be sure to stay in touch through PMs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Assuming that the new addition to the family is a baby and not an unemployed brother in law sleeping on the sofa... Congratulations!

Great looking project. I think you'd be happier with a stronger/ better servo but at least it's not the Traxxas 2075x. Appears that you've really studied things and are headed in a smart direction. Will be following along.
The new addition to our family is unemployed but sleeps in a bassinet and weighs 7 pounds 15 ounces I couldn't be happier to be a father. I can't wait to work on projects with him when he gets a bit older!

Thanks. There is not much to look at just yet but I'm excited to begin the stage of the build where it really becomes its own. I read so many positive and negative servo threads that I got to a point where I decided I would just try something and at $22 I figured it was pretty low risk. I am open to suggestions for when it reaches it's end of life.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:50 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I think you did right by trying the 25kg. Plenty of folks are happy with it but I eventually swapped mine out for a HH shv500v2 ( running 3 of em in various rigs). But I think that's a smart move on your part... not investing too much $ and you get to see if it's going to be enough torque for your particular vehicle. I never had any issues with mine... just wanted more torque and all metal gears.

Congrats again and I'm sure your little boy has a great dad to make a ton of memories with. Wish these kinds of toys were feasible when I was a kid!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I think you did right by trying the 25kg. Plenty of folks are happy with it but I eventually swapped mine out for a HH shv500v2 ( running 3 of em in various rigs). But I think that's a smart move on your part... not investing too much $ and you get to see if it's going to be enough torque for your particular vehicle. I never had any issues with mine... just wanted more torque and all metal gears.

Congrats again and I'm sure your little boy has a great dad to make a ton of memories with. Wish these kinds of toys were feasible when I was a kid!
Thanks I look forward to creating those memories with him; and I cant imagine what will be available to him in 10 years! I had that servo on my radar but it seemed like everyone was out of stock - perhaps one day I'll find one for my rig!

I finished the wiring (although I need to do some wire management) and started cutting the inner fenders with my dremel. I used a plastic cutting disc and it cut through the fenders easily. I used a sanding drum on the edges to smooth them out and am pleased with results. I bolted them back on and I am pretty close. I need to cut a bit more off the front of the inner fenders and then will need to make additional cuts to mount the light buckets. I also need to cut the frame tomorrow.

Parts have also arrived from shapeways and carpetfuzz17 sold me his unused KC smittybilt front armor so I have plenty to keep me busy now!

11/1/2020 Update:
- Removed hood and grill; replaced with Knights Customs parts
- Additional cutting of the inner fenders; needs to be cleaned up but...
- ...the Axial 17 Jeep JK body now fits on my TRX4 Sport!
- More to come
Attached Images

Last edited by grey; 11-06-2020 at 08:38 PM.

Tags
2017, jeep, scx10, trx4, wrangler

grey's 2017 Wrangler TRX4 Sport Unassembled Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 or TRX4 Sport Kit? Help please. m4inbrain Traxxas Crawlers 13 09-01-2021 07:47 AM
Axial 2017 Wrangler JK Body on TRX4 Sport Kit westerlycarrot9 Traxxas TRX-4 3 11-02-2019 04:21 PM
TRX4 Sport kit or TRX 4 Crawler kit Question redpeppers Newbie General 13 09-15-2019 06:00 PM
TRX4 Sport body on TRX4 Crawler kit chassisc redpeppers Paint and Body 7 09-14-2019 12:59 AM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM