Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX4 lowered

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2020, 08:53 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default TRX4 lowered

I am thinking about going bigger tire, re gear and low center of gravity. I tried searching but the search won't work on my phone.

Anybody gone this route? any suggestions? I have to issues cutting things to make things work.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TRX4 lowered

It may or may not have been done before...
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:28 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
It may or may not have been done before...
Hoping for a little more up travel.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:25 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Which platform trx4 do you have? If you bigger tires and lower it u run into rubbing issues. I went with smaller tires on my trx4 and lowered it down by taken spring tension off and allowing a natural sag. Stock gearing in trx4 is already super low.
89lxmorepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89lxmorepower View Post
Which platform trx4 do you have? If you bigger tires and lower it u run into rubbing issues. I went with smaller tires on my trx4 and lowered it down by taken spring tension off and allowing a natural sag. Stock gearing in trx4 is already super low.

I have the Mercedes version with the lockers and dual speed transmission. I've changed the body, wheels (1.9s) and tires. I still want to be able to compete and that 1.9 inch rims, extra large tire.
The steering servo is next. I know a lot of people just throw a bunch of brass on the axles and call it good. I'll end up doing that also but I'd like to take it a little bit further but I still want it to be considered a scaler when it comes to competition. I don't mind cutting and trimming away fender wells or body or getting different shock mounts. I would like to keep us some sort of inner fender because I do like to trail it and I do end up in some dirt and water.

Last edited by MOguy; 03-01-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #6
RCC Addict

When you say "extra large tires" what exactly are you thinking? I assume you are aware that comps limit the maximum tire size in each class. I run a class II 4.75" tire with a lowered suspension and the truck works exceptionally well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Inspector86; 03-02-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:42 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
I tried searching but the search won't work on my phone.
the Google custom search has been broken for a long time but just above it is the other search, this one still works.

EDIT: sorry never mind mobile does not have the other search feature.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 03-02-2020 at 05:45 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:01 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
When you say "extra large tires" what exactly are you thinking? I assume you are aware that comps limit the maximum tire size in each class. I run a class II 4.75" tire with a lowered suspension and the truck works exceptionally well.
Probably somewhere around your size. How did you lower it? This is what mine looks like now.
https://ibb.co/wWYpcpm

Last edited by MOguy; 03-04-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #9
RCC Addict

To start with I slicked up the stock GTS shocks with green slime on the X-rings and left the retainer cap about 1/4 turn loose. I then installed a set of optional Traxxas .30 rate springs. This allows you to dial in some droop in the suspension. I typically shoot for getting the shocks close to mid stroke at static ride height.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
To start with I slicked up the stock GTS shocks with green slime on the X-rings and left the retainer cap about 1/4 turn loose. I then installed a set of optional Traxxas .30 rate springs. This allows you to dial in some droop in the suspension. I typically shoot for getting the shocks close to mid stroke at static ride height.
Thanks for the reply.

I do have more questions.
Your shocks don't leak? What weight oil for the shocks? What is the stock spring rate and don't get rubbing with that much up travel using that body?
Old 03-05-2020, 09:23 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I do have more questions.
Your shocks don't leak? What weight oil for the shocks? What is the stock spring rate and don't get rubbing with that much up travel using that body?
A better way is to use the white spacer in Traxxas 2362 rebuild kit to replace the black spacer in the bottom of the shocks. It’s super easy & 2 kits runs $5. This allows you to fully tighten the lower retainer and have perfect shaft movement.

You won’t be happy with anything heavier than 15wt shock oil. Factory Team 150cst is perfect.

Stock springs are .45/.54 on yours (I think). The point is: the stock setup is just too stiff.
R/C controls YOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:29 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I run aftermarket shock mounts that let you run 0, +5, or +10 mm on the upper shock mount. This will drop the truck accordingly, however, the front axle and linkages will start hitting stuff if you go this route and dont run a longer shock as well(IE longer shock body will keep the same bottom-out point). You could run 100mm shocks at the +5 and 110's at the +10 and still have the same bottom out point.

My goal was to try and run 110mm shocks(vs the stock 90's) but retain the factory ride height. I got there and the truck had an insane amount of flex, which was mostly down, as the up stopped at the same point as stock. Later I went back and put the stock shocks back on but at the +5 setting and I was hitting things on the front suspension and it was limiting uptravel.

The rear is less of an issue unless you run a low COG battery tray like the Bowhouse. In that case I was fine on the side to side flex/travel, but the straight up-n-down travel would cause the links to hit the tray.

Last edited by mass-hole; 03-09-2020 at 10:36 AM.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:41 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
I run aftermarket shock mounts that let you run 0, +5, or +10 mm on the upper shock mount. This will drop the truck accordingly, however, the front axle and linkages will start hitting stuff if you go this route and dont run a longer shock as well(IE longer shock body will keep the same bottom-out point). You could run 100mm shocks at the +5 and 110's at the +10 and still have the same bottom out point.

My goal was to try and run 110mm shocks(vs the stock 90's) but retain the factory ride height. I got there and the truck had an insane amount of flex, which was mostly down, as the up stopped at the same point as stock. Later I went back and put the stock shocks back on but at the +5 setting and I was hitting things on the front suspension and it was limiting uptravel.

The rear is less of an issue unless you run a low COG battery tray like the Bowhouse. In that case I was fine on the side to side flex/travel, but the straight up-n-down travel would cause the links to hit the tray.
Thanks
Old 03-09-2020, 01:33 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Hi Inspector. In your response above, you said in your tips about the shocks "to start with...". Just curious, what other shock tricks did you perform?

I also want to tune my TRX for a droop setup because I find my rig is top heavy with the body on (Pro-Line 1966 F100 and their back half cage kit). Recently, I removed the body and ran the same course and made every obstacle at the crawler course. With the body on it makes about 75%. I was really surprised how much better it did without the body.

Later the same day, someone lent me a set of custom length shocks that fully compressed at static ride height and extended fully when dropping into holes. It also lowered my rig a little over an inch. The truck (with body) performed noticeably better except for maybe side hilling—it may have driven a little worse here (too close to tell).

I am tying to duplicate a similar setup with the stock shocks. I have some .22 and .30 springs to try out.

I’m still hoping more folks still chime in on this thread with more suggestions. It seems like a lot more things can be learned here.

Last edited by RCTom; 03-12-2020 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Added more info
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX4 lowered - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 or TRX4 Sport Kit? Help please. m4inbrain Traxxas Crawlers 13 09-01-2021 07:47 AM
TRX4 Sport body on TRX4 Crawler kit chassisc redpeppers Paint and Body 7 09-14-2019 12:59 AM