Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX4 body fitment questions for the experts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #1

Question TRX4 body fitment questions for the experts

I have a TRX4 sport kit to which I fitted the Axial XJ Jeep 2000.

I'm wondering a few things...

1. Are "TRX4" specific bodies that Proline sell just a special 12.8" wheelbase Vs the more common 12.3"? Or are they dimensionally different in width/height/length?

2. I would like the shell to sit a bit lower but the front cannot go down anymore due to the underside of the hood hitting the front inner fender flares. Will I encounter this with most bodies, including the ones made by Traxxas? If not, I guess it's something I'll have to live with, or remove the inner fenders?

This picture is at full suspension compression; I'd like it to sit like this at normal ride height...!

3. The Jeep body is too narrow and the wheels poke out a little and I'd like the wheels to tuck under the fenders, especially under articulations. Does the TRX4 have a wider than 'normal' track width?

Here you can see, I'm fairly sure that when this body was initially fitted on a SCX10 II the wheels tucked under more. Maybe I just need a different body? Are TRX4 specific bodies wider?

I know it's very minor but I like my toy trucks to look a little more scale. I will add 10mm of spacers inside the shocks to limit up travel and keep it looking a bit more realistic and the high body, wider wheels and too much suspension travel get my OCD kicking in

Some bonus pics from today's outing with the other half a TRX6

Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: TRX4 body fitment questions for the experts

First I will tell you that a full size XJ is not a large vehicle compared to say a Bronco or Blazer. If you want the body to set lower just trim the inner fenders so the body sets down over them. I actually have several sets of inner fenders which have been trimmed for specific bodies. Here are a couple pics of my TRX4 with the Axial XJ body and it sets much lower on the chassis than what yours appears to. The last pic is my 1:1 XJ so you can see how the wheels fit on a full size XJ. To be perfectly honest, the Axial XJ body is my favorite in part because it is slightly smaller than the Bronco or Blazer. Also, rather than limiting your shock travel with spacers just install the optional Traxxas GTS .30 springs which are softer and will allow you to easily dial in 50% droop which will in turn improve your overall suspension performance.
Attached Images

Last edited by Inspector86; 03-03-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:43 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I run the same body as inspector86 does. I got my body tucked down super low also and tire poke gives a better stance and scale look. I have my tires quite poked out with no rubbing issues and climbs like a champ
89lxmorepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:45 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Also what tire/wheel combo are you running? Honestly I think your rig looks nice as it is
89lxmorepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:26 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I've just rebuilt the axles and transmission after the last outing so will be able to play around with a few things later.

The tires are eBay copies of Super Swampers, 110mm outside diameter on some generic 1.9 beadlocks.

I'll remove the inner fenders and have a play about. I think when fitting the body it's a tad too far back especially at the rear, looks like I need to extend the links by 5mm maybe just to move the axle back a tad to center it.

I also do really like the XJ too so I'm keen to tweak it to fit better!
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX4 body fitment questions for the experts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 wheel fitment info svt923 Traxxas TRX-4 144 02-15-2022 05:57 PM
Ok TRX4 experts, HELP!! gilnasty82 Traxxas TRX-4 9 04-10-2018 11:45 AM
TRX4 Winch Fitment mobgma Traxxas TRX-4 18 08-14-2017 08:54 AM
a few questions for the lnc/lcc experts jebster Team Losi Comp Crawler 14 10-12-2015 06:54 AM
New Wraith...some questions for you experts cooners_wraith Axial Wraith 18 08-19-2013 02:22 PM