Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Cantalever suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #1

Default Cantalever suspension

I've recently bought a trx4 sport and I'm wanting more suspension travel. I've seen a few cantalever style setups. Is there a noticable advantage to that style than just throwing longer shocks at it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
djg828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Cantalever suspension

First off, Welcome to RCC. So how much more travel do you think you need? There is such a thing as too much travel with these trucks. The stock Traxxas 90mm GTS shocks are considered some of the best shocks on the market but they need a little TLC to make them really work well. There are a number of threads here on RCC discussing how to tune these shocks you just need to spend some time reading. Traxxas also sells a series of optional rate springs which can be used to fine tune the suspension and you can further adjust the shock tuning by changing shock oil weight. Stock the TRX4 Sport comes equipped with I think .39 springs and 30wt shock oil. Just FYI this is one of my TRX4s with the stock GTS 90mm shocks with .30 springs and 10wt shock oil set at about 50% droop. I have never felt the need for more suspension travel. I have seen a lot of guys install the long arm kit in order to get more flex only to remove it soon after when they find out the truck actually works worse.
Attached Images

Last edited by Inspector86; 03-02-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:17 PM   #3

Default Re: Cantalever suspension

Thank you for your input. I'm super new to the hobby so dont know anything. I had some friends help me tune the car and weight it and it is an amazin trail/crawler! Now I gotta scratch the faster trail machine itch hahaha

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
djg828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Cantalever suspension

Long Travel Buildup
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Check out my thread trying to achieve a decent long travel setup without raising my ride height.

As with anything, it seems to be a trade off. In straight rock crawling i felt it helped and made the truck more stable and just kept all the tires in contact which helped it claw through obsticles. I do think it hurt climbing, decending and sidehilling as it lets the truck lean farther in the downhill direction which results in it rolling earlier.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote

Cantalever suspension - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dinky cantalever madtinner General Scale Talk 24 10-11-2015 10:03 PM
Help with suspension!!! Colorofkris Axial SCX-10 15 02-02-2011 06:02 PM
rustler suspension arms versus bandit suspension arms... STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER Non Crawler RC's 5 08-30-2010 11:05 AM