Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX4 Sport Trax slowness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2020, 01:17 PM   #1

Default TRX4 Sport Trax slowness

Hey guys I bought the RTR version of this and with the tracks on the top end is very slow and not much punch. Is this because of the trax on the unit and if I put tires on it will be faster? Or is it something to do with the gear ratio, i thought it would be because of the motor but it has a 21 turn motor in it and my 35 turn in my axial is faster.
jpedersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #2

Default Re: TRX4 Sport Trax slowness

Traxx will most definitely slow down the Sport. If you put on tires it should go faster.

You can also increase the gearing when you remove the Traxx and that would also help your speed.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:48 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpedersm View Post
Hey guys I bought the RTR version of this and with the tracks on the top end is very slow and not much punch. Is this because of the trax on the unit and if I put tires on it will be faster? Or is it something to do with the gear ratio, i thought it would be because of the motor but it has a 21 turn motor in it and my 35 turn in my axial is faster.
What battery are you using? For me there is probably as much or more different between a 2 to 3 LiPo cell than NiCad to a 2 cell Lipo.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #4

I thought I read that the trax themselves had a gear reduction. Is that correct?
Mixelplix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:22 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I run my sport kit with tracks on a 3S to pick up the speed a bit. But, my truck is already geared lower than a sport RTR.

Tracks will always be slower, because you have to think of the drive sprocket as your "tire". It is smaller in diameter, and thus circumference compared to a regular full tire. Thus for every rotation it makes, it will travel less linear distance compared to a tire. The length of the track does not matter at all. Whether the track is 6" in length or two feet, the drive sprocket will only move so much of it per rotation.

And because the drive sprocket is smaller it effectively behaves like further gear reduction.
CamoColton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:48 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

It is general feature of all tracks. Your rig speed is in direct proportion to the tire diameter or drive wheel diameter of the tracks. When you replace 4.6” wheels with tracks that have <2” drive wheels your rig becomes ~3X slower. You can make it faster by gearing up, lower turn motor or higher voltage battery. But be careful going too fast since tracks probably won’t last long at high rates.
And I am not sure you can compare directly turns of 550 size traxxas motor to 540 size axial motor.
nersik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #7
RCC Addict

If you measure the diameter of the trax drive sprocket compared to the diameter a wheel/tire you will see the difference. With wheels the truck will run approximately twice the speed of the trax. The trax are a HUGE performance killer.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX4 Sport Trax slowness - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 or TRX4 Sport Kit? Help please. m4inbrain Traxxas Crawlers 13 09-01-2021 07:47 AM
Hoping someone has TRX4 Portal Axle STL / TRAX adapter stl RaunchyFartBomb Traxxas Crawlers 0 11-28-2019 10:02 PM
TRX4 Sport body on TRX4 Crawler kit chassisc redpeppers Paint and Body 7 09-14-2019 12:59 AM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM