Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Spacing-up the steering servo for more clearance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Spacing-up the steering servo for more clearance

While making a repair to my TRX-4, I noticed that my Holmes Hobbies SHV500 servo (yes, it's a V1) had a mark on the case where the servo arm is making contact with it.

Comparing it with an all-stock TRX, I noticed that the servo protrudes a small bit below the mount. Has anyone ever spaced there servo up for more clearance? I figured I'd just use some washers unless someone suggests something better.

Has anyone had any problems with the linkage being at too much of an angle or encountered any other detrimental effect on steering performance?
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2020, 02:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Spacing-up the steering servo for more clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTom View Post
While making a repair to my TRX-4, I noticed that my Holmes Hobbies SHV500 servo (yes, it's a V1) had a mark on the case where the servo arm is making contact with it.

Comparing it with an all-stock TRX, I noticed that the servo protrudes a small bit below the mount. Has anyone ever spaced there servo up for more clearance? I figured I'd just use some washers unless someone suggests something better.

Has anyone had any problems with the linkage being at too much of an angle or encountered any other detrimental effect on steering performance?
So long as you're only moving it a tiny bit or moving it closer to the stock location you shouldn't be messing up the steering geometry. If moved too far you might start to notice some bump steer. If you do end up moving it out of spec you could potentially fix the link angle with more spacers.

I've used washers and even 3d printed spacers. I think I preferred the spacers because they make installation a bit simpler (2 pieces instead of 4). If you wanted spacers but dont have a printer you could also fab up some out of styrene.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 03-12-2020 at 02:39 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the heads-up. I like the spacer idea. I’ll have to look into that.

I was also just thinking about the servo horn. Will a horn with a small drop make more sense? What horns are y’all running?

For reference, I used the Traxxas aluminum servo horn that came with my kit. It seems pretty straight with no drop at all that I can tell.
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:38 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Can you post up a pic or elaborate on what its rubbing?

So are you saying the horn itself is too close to the servo? or is it rubbing something on the chassis?

I've ground down many a sevro horn to get clearance, just leave enough meat around the threaded holes. If its the horn not clearing the servo case just file the bottom portion of the horn, I just had to do that with a VP horn on a Tekin servo.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I clipped the mounting tabs off an old dead servo and use them as shims to raise mine just a bit. Also filed and polished the arm for clearance.

jim
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Spacing-up the steering servo for more clearance - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get Steering Servo Clearance form your Links on a SCX10.2 Rock Concepts Videos! 1 12-16-2016 02:10 PM
Steering clearance Zrazer HPI Wheely King 6 01-14-2013 08:14 PM
Servo Mount and High Clearance Steering Arm ripper7777777 RC4WD Bully 124 12-12-2010 06:56 AM
High Clearance Steering Links Sinastir Axial AX-10 Scorpion 35 11-23-2008 06:10 PM
steering clearance? Thaadius Tamiya Clod Buster 16 01-13-2006 06:30 PM