Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: topher Drives a TRX6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
Gold Star Baby!

Default topher Drives a TRX6

Finally bit the bullet and snagged one of these! I don’t plan on doing much to it other than upgrade the motor/esc/servo and I’ll throw some brass portal covers up front and OD (to help with the turning radius) but otherwise I’m going to keep it stock. Including wheels and tires (for now).

I hit the bed with some bed liner so it wasn’t all white, may hit the whole body with some matte clear, and on the inside spray some silver then black on the to keep the light from bleeding through. Hopefully I’ll get to wheel this soon and have some footage to share.

Pics for now and a baby flex since the garden rocks aren’t too big around here.
Attached Images

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: topher Drives a TRX6

Nice buy!

Great flex!

Can’t wait to see this monster out on the red rocks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #3

It's a pretty truck. Just a shame there are no other 6x6 bodies yet.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

Thanks BMow and Jato!

I’m half tempted to get a power wagon and hack a couple beds together for a new body. Maybe in a couple months.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

it looks like a vehicle in the Floyd Mayweather garage .
you should build the coronavirus apocalypse truck with this
antigacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Thanks BMow and Jato!

I’m half tempted to get a power wagon and hack a couple beds together for a new body. Maybe in a couple months.
Yup, the power wagon is exactly the body I had in mind for a 6x6. *sigh* we'll see.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:33 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Awesome buy!!! Can't wait to see that thing run some of those amazing lines you have out there! Power Wagon would be sick! DO IT!!!!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:34 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I've got one on the way also. Pretty much planning the same thing - keeping it mostly stock. Maybe wheels and tires later down the road. I like the idea of watching 6 tires digging into the spring mud we're about to have.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:13 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Thanks BMow and Jato!

Powerwagon hack would be sick dude. Have you had a chance to wheel this bad boy yet? They always look surprisingly capable in the videos I've seen in spite of their size and heft.

As far as the Powerwagon hack, I think it'd be cool to have it in sort of a mil-spec finish. Flat OD or some other drab, and maybe some low-key alpha-numeric stenciling that you always see on military rigs. Awwww man dude, now you've got me thinkin.....errrr, I've got myself thinkin, and that's never a good thing!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:22 AM   #10
Gold Star Baby!

Got a handful of parts in the mail to install after I drop my munchkin off with her mom this weekend. This will be it for mods except foams and maybe wheels and tires, but I’ve heard good things about the stock ones and considering how well the cut canyon crawlers did for me Im going to give these some time.

Today’s haul:
Hobbywing 1080
HH crawlmaster sport 12t
Traxxas metal servo horn
Traxxas OD Gears
1 pair of ssd brass portal covers

I’m trying to avoid buying servos till the HH V3 is available again so I’ll likely steal one from another rig for now. Probably a protek 150t since it does okay at 6v and I can avoid running a bec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antigacho View Post
it looks like a vehicle in the Floyd Mayweather garage .
you should build the coronavirus apocalypse truck with this
Haha that would be funny. I’ll probably keep this body relatively normal but I think they have clear ones available so I may eventually take a stab at a different scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Yup, the power wagon is exactly the body I had in mind for a 6x6. *sigh* we'll see.
I lost the post, but someone on face space posted their WIP of this same idea yesterday and it looked great

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Awesome buy!!! Can't wait to see that thing run some of those amazing lines you have out there! Power Wagon would be sick! DO IT!!!!
Thanks J!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I've got one on the way also. Pretty much planning the same thing - keeping it mostly stock. Maybe wheels and tires later down the road. I like the idea of watching 6 tires digging into the spring mud we're about to have.
Nice one! 6 wheels churning mud would be fun to watch. We don’t get much mud but have plenty of loose dirt. These things don’t seem to need much to perform well so a bunch of mods didn’t make sense. Oddly enough when this one is done it will be at a lower cost than my original trx4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Powerwagon hack would be sick dude. Have you had a chance to wheel this bad boy yet? They always look surprisingly capable in the videos I've seen in spite of their size and heft.

As far as the Powerwagon hack, I think it'd be cool to have it in sort of a mil-spec finish. Flat OD or some other drab, and maybe some low-key alpha-numeric stenciling that you always see on military rigs. Awwww man dude, now you've got me thinkin.....errrr, I've got myself thinkin, and that's never a good thing!
I agree, PWag would definitely be mil spec matted out. Tamiya has some nice TS paints for that and since I had success using Mikes tip with PS-55 as a base layer I was going to give those another shot if I do go that route.

Haven’t wheeled yet since I’ve had my daughter in town but will be wheeling it next week! Can’t wait.

I like it when walsh gets thinkin lol. It’d be cool to see what you come up with for one of these big guys as well.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 03-21-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Someone needs to do a Dodge T-Rex.

mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

This is what I was thinking.... The Pitbull 6x6 Power Wagon.

soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

"I like it when walsh gets thinkin lol. It’d be cool to see what you come up with for one of these big guys as well"

I wish my wallet liked it as much!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #14
Gold Star Baby!

Got out at the crack of down for a short shakedown today, I was the only one out at the spot thankfully. I lost power on the stock esc so I was only out for about a half hour. I’m pulling the stock stuff out soon anyway but will still send for a replacement if there’s an issue but I have a feeling it’s just the plug.

This thing is a lot of fun to drive, it’s enjoyable watching the 3 axles work to get through obstacles. Didn’t get hung up or have maneuvering challenges as much as I anticipated either. Here are a couple pics and some video

Attached Images

Old 03-28-2020, 09:59 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Nice, thanks for taking the time to post up vid. I put my 6x6 build in a box for now. It seems that for me having several different builds going at once is very productive for any of them!! Good job Youngman!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:28 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I like the factory 6x6 tires better than Canyon Trails - the tread pattern and the texture in-between the blocks on the sidewall especially.

Might be worth keeping them and just swapping wheels and foams down the road...at least for a while, see how they are when broken-in.

IMHO, the worst thing about the white body is the lack of definition around the headlights and front bumper.

Not sure how to correct that easily, though!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:31 AM   #17
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Nice, thanks for taking the time to post up vid. I put my 6x6 build in a box for now. It seems that for me having several different builds going at once is very productive for any of them!! Good job Youngman!
Ernie
I know what you mean about too many builds at once, even with just the bolt on ones like I do it takes a lot of time to keep up with. Luckily for me, I have time in spades.

Hope we get to see that 6x6 wrapped up sometime, the bed was looking really good

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I like the factory 6x6 tires better than Canyon Trails - the tread pattern and the texture in-between the blocks on the sidewall especially.

Might be worth keeping them and just swapping wheels and foams down the road...at least for a while, see how they are when broken-in.

IMHO, the worst thing about the white body is the lack of definition around the headlights and front bumper.

Not sure how to correct that easily, though!
Agreed on all fronts above. I like the specific size, the look, and the compound of the tires as well. I don’t see it being worth the wallet hit to me to swap out 6 of them any time soon. I’ll definitely need foams though and have been having a hard time figuring out what to do with because of the 2.2 wheel size. Feel free to throw out any suggestions if you you have them.

I wish I trusted myself more with a ultra fine tip sharpie, I’d try and add some lines. I tried to do one door line on the 10.3 and it didn’t look very good so I washed it off shortly after. Need to practice it on some spares.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #18

This isn't a word I'd typically use, but it looks "elegant" in white. I love it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:40 AM   #19
Gold Star Baby!

The trx6 has been getting some love again. I took it out a few weeks ago and broke one of the front driveshafts, not sure how it happened but I upgraded to the yeah racing shafts.

I waited to do the repair till some brass got here off the slow boat. These are from a brand called DJX (found on fleabay) however they sure seem to be made by the same manufacturer that made the Samix v1 brass. Much cheaper to obtain. I got the knuckles, portal covers, chubs, and brake discs for $60 all together. I paid more than that for just the chubs on a new trx4 sport build I’m compiling.

Also getting an electronics upgrade. The trx10.2 has finally been cannibalized so I’m taking the mamba x and slate 2280 out of there, and throwing in a v2 hh servo I have around. Keeping it all at 6v for the sake of the micro servos.

Here are a few pics, axle isn’t hung completely since I’m changing the servo next.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Like this ?

Other body

Quote:
Q
Takes a little while and some shoe goo and a razor.
Attached Images

Last edited by Topher Builds; 10-29-2020 at 07:03 PM.
Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote

topher Drives a TRX6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
topher builds a TRX10.2 Topher Builds Traxxas TRX-4 60 01-05-2021 07:59 PM
topher builds a Capra Topher Builds Axial Capra 100 03-16-2020 08:03 AM
Topher revives a TRX4 Topher Builds Traxxas TRX-4 16 01-16-2020 09:19 AM
topher gets the royal treatment Topher Builds SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 32 01-06-2020 07:31 PM