Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Fricker08’s what were you thinking... trx4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2020, 06:07 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Fricker08’s what were you thinking... trx4

Skip to post 6 for the latest build.

Just picked this thing up today, basically new trx4 sport with traxx. Has some nice upgrades including savox 1212sg and some brass parts up front. Was hoping to get a kit and go that route, but for $600 I think I got a good deal.

If I sell all my other stuff I still may end up with a kit because I really want the lockers/2 speed or a 10.3

Took it out on a local trail, can’t say I’m super pleased with it. Kind of slow lol but hey it looks cool!
Attached Images

Last edited by Fricker08; 05-22-2020 at 08:18 PM.
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2020, 07:39 PM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Fricker08’s trx4

Congrats on the rig!

Traxx look like fun out there in all that wet dirt.

It will be faster with normal wheels and tires, you can usually find take offs around 30-40 so maybe something to look out for to give the rig another dimension.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:28 PM   #3
Slow is the new Fast

Good score Fricker!

The X4 that comes Traxx equipped is geared down a touch. Throw a wheel set on there and swap out your pinion gear if you want some giddy-up
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:44 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I got a new set of sport wheels and tires with the deal, and the matching pinion for that setup. So I’ll definitely be using that too.
I think the traxx will be fun in the snow and at the beach. I’ll look into adding a 2 speed, I’d just need a new radio setup which is fine

Last edited by Fricker08; 03-24-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
RCC Addict

So I’ve since sold this rig, and traded the traxx with cul8tr.
As luck would have it I stumbled across another one locally. Bone stock hardly a scratch on the body. Rtr with lipo and charger for $400. Have a set of stock wheels and pinion in route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2020, 08:32 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Default Re: Fricker08’s what were you thinking... trx4

I’m going to start with this.. if you’re considering buy a rig second hand, and when you show up the car is not clean and presentable... just walk away.

So here we are, as you can tell I’ve owned a couple Trx4’s I parted with both the traxx rigs and found what seemed to be a decent deal local on a defender. Which is what I’ve been wanting for a while.
To start I should have taken a closer look at things but the guy was nice and seemed pretty straight up. The rig was dirty but looked clean at a glance. Had a broken front dog-bone, no big deal.

Came with a “like new” proline 12.8 jk body... which once you got the mud off has some pretty decent damage and monstrous holes to mount the lights and other stuff. Came with a yeah racing trailer with a “custom” cover done. Upon getting the thing home, the cover was cardboard. So that got tossed, but the trailer cleaned up pretty ok.

On to the rig.. it looked “clean” because it had been spray painted black over rust, dirt, mud, grass, etc. the shocks, steering servo, you name it, it’s got black spray paint on it. Said to have a brushless setup in it.. come to find out it’s out of a boat. Broke off screw in the motor mount, and a wheel hex so stripped out he wrapped the drive hex in electrical tape and cranked the wheel nut down.

I’m not going to say what I paid, or what I have spent on replacement parts that are in the mail, but I could have a brand new kit with quite a few nice upgrades.

So this is more of a restoration than a build. I’ll post progress as I go, but I intend on going through every millimeter of this thing. I’ve got new bearings, stainless hardware and a ton of other stuff in route. Holmes Hobbies 21T hobbywing 1080 and more

Old 05-22-2020, 08:44 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Some more pics
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2020, 08:54 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Man, that would make me see red...

Props on taking on this nightmare project!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:29 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Man, that would make me see red...

Props on taking on this nightmare project!
Man at first I was like whatever.. I’ve been at work the last couple days so I didn’t get a good look at it until today. I wrote the guy and told him how I felt, but I had already ordered so much replacement parts because it kept snowballing, I didn’t really want to hear what he had to say in return so I cut off the communication line. I bought it as is and he got me.. I’m the sucker. Never again though.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:37 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Im in the middle of trying to buy a 1:1 XJ Cherokee. Things are looking very similar to your ordeal.

Hate to see you go through it but with a little work you will end up with what you want.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:50 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
Im in the middle of trying to buy a 1:1 XJ Cherokee. Things are looking very similar to your ordeal.

Hate to see you go through it but with a little work you will end up with what you want.
Man that’s a tough deal, I mean at the end of the day, these are toys. I get it.
But yea used 1:1 car shopping is a whole other ordeal with real Money. I hope you find a good deal on a clean XJ!
I bought a used Subaru Outback 2 years ago from a Subaru service team manager.. maybe the cars just a lemon idk but I’ve had nothing but issues and bad luck with that car since I got it. Now it needs a torque converter, but with 130k miles I should do head gaskets and so on that adds up to more than the cars worth. I can do the labor but it’s just not worth it and I still owe $5k on the car.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:33 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

tough one.
splyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:36 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by splyn View Post
tough one.
Yea looks like I’ve got some of the stuff sold I pulled off, so that helps offset the cost a little. See what else I can get rid of lol
Old 05-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Well some parts have started showing up, and I’ve started the daunting task of cleaning this thing up... and it hasn’t gotten any better. If anything, I’d say it’s worse on the inside than the out.
Attempted to clean the shocks up, and get the black paint off. 5 minutes in some degreaser and I ruined the shock bodies. So more money will be coming out of my pocket.
I sold the stock tx/rx motor and esc. So that softened the blow a little. Unfortunately the stainless screw kit won’t be here for another week but I’ll have bearings tomorrow. So I started tear down of the axles. Thankfully the gears look ok, no missing teeth or anything chewed up. But I’ll tell you, this thing was submerged in water at some point and it was never service.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2020, 04:49 PM   #15

Man that's rough.
Hope you get it all back together and show it some needed love.

Are you in Wilsonville Oregon?
Catbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:06 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbox View Post
Man that's rough.
Hope you get it all back together and show it some needed love.

Are you in Wilsonville Oregon?

Thanks, I’ve got the front carrier rebuilt and the rear diff/portals. Waiting on my stainless hardware kit before I go all the way back together.
Yea man I am, see you’re in Portland?

Old 05-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Years back, I bought an ATV off eBay that ended us like that; submerged and ran like crap. Totally misrepresented on eBay. Drove 600 miles to pick it up. Should have driven away, but paid w/ Certified Check. As soon as I got home cancelled the Certified check. Turns out they can be cancelled because of fraud. Took the ATV to a local dealer and had the top end redone, etc.. Seller was barking mad! Deducted cost of repairs and that's what I paid.

It's the principal that is most annoying.
Rockin140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:14 PM   #18
RCC Addict

There are people out there that just should not be allowed near machines. By the time it is all said and done you would have been money ahead to buy a new kit. On the plus side you are resurrecting with would otherwise be a basket case.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:24 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Default Fricker08’s what were you thinking... trx4

Yea it’s all about the principle. I would have low balled the guy but he made it clear he was firm on the price before we met up. So I figured it was a solid rig.

That’s good you were able to get the repairs done on the quad on his dime. It’s only fair when it’s not as described as promised.

I received all new plastics today and got the frame rails sanded and painted. Hopefully I’ll be able to start assembling the chassis this weekend
Attached Images

Last edited by Fricker08; 05-29-2020 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Transmission wasn’t pretty, but a lot better looking than the axles.
All 40 new bearings installed through the truck. Little grease and the transmission will be going back together tomorrow.
Attached Images

Fricker08’s what were you thinking... trx4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 or TRX4 Sport Kit? Help please. m4inbrain Traxxas Crawlers 13 09-01-2021 07:47 AM
Trx4 value? TIREBUSTER Traxxas TRX-4 7 03-19-2020 04:27 PM
TRX4 Sport body on TRX4 Crawler kit chassisc redpeppers Paint and Body 7 09-14-2019 12:59 AM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM