Old 03-26-2020, 09:27 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Traxxas TRX-4 vs. SCX10 III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I'm a big fan of the locking diffs which the new SCX10 III still will not have
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerjunkie View Post
and the SCX10 (any version) does not have locking differentials...
Technically true...but, NOT 100% true. badhorsie.com has a diff locking grease (for vehicles up to a 10lb max) that effectively "locks" the diff.According to their own info, it can be used in vehicles as large/heavy as the T-Maxx, and can be used in the front, center and or rear diff. This was brought to my attention by someone in the Baja Rey thread, who used it to 'lock' their center diff. Honestly, I haven't tried it...but, several others have indicated how well it works. While not a true 100% locked diff, this stuff supposedly gets it as close as possible, without using a locking spool.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2020, 09:46 PM   #22
RCC Addict

You understand, when we said "locking diffs" we were referring to the ability to lock and unlock the TRX4 diffs on demand right? Maybe I should have said "on demand lockable diffs". In any case, please explain why anyone would want to use a locking compound on the SCX10 iii axles.

Last edited by Inspector86; 03-31-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:38 AM   #23

What in the world?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:06 AM   #24

Maybe he was on drugs/ not enough sleep etc. But funny in all cases.

About trx4 vs scx10 iii:
My opinion is:
The 2 platforms are very adjustable and can be configured in many different ways.

Witch ever is better from objective way is too early to say. Trx4 is few years old. Scx10iii just now is geting some testing miles.

From personal way its very subjective to every single person. Most of the time when i read some posts its personal opinion. Even if the person is trying to speak from some angle like everybody/ most think the same.

I have trx4 for few years now and i moded it for one purpose. That is very high performance when crawling/ trailing the mountains.
The public opinion of so many is this high center of gravity b ullshit because of portals. I dont see it! When i run with other people NO ONE have as capable as mine truck! Better looking they have yes.

But beauty is also very subjective.

Also more options is almost every time better. So its good for the crawling rc side there is another strong option.

(Sorry for the bad english)

Also here is a pic of my most beatifull* body so far. But will not crawl as good as a some lexan simple 200gram body.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Veygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veygr View Post

(Sorry for the bad english)

Also here is a pic of my most beatifull* body so far. But will not crawl as good as a some lexan simple 200gram body.
Your English is fine!

Where did you get that body? It is awesome!
Old 03-30-2020, 12:08 PM   #26

Quote:
I wonder how the new SCX10 III will compare to the TRX-4. it is about the exact same but way more realistic. Any thoughts?
I dont think it's more realistic than the trx4, maybe as much though.

The trx4 has locking/unlocking diffs, portal axels, no dig mode and a body that's very detailed. All realistic points when you compare it to the competitors.
TRX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:13 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
One doesn't need to have actually driven them to make a PERSONAL decision. I primarily made my determination based on the functionality & features, as stated by the manufactures.

Both have 2-speed (well, one variant of the TRX4 does) & portals, but only one includes a dig. Also, un regards to wheelbase adjustability, the SCX10.3 uses a more 'intelligent' system for trail length adjustability. Finally, while older Axial kits used lower-quality, lower-strength plastics, the "new" generation of Axial kits have the majority of their plastic parts made in the Losi/TLR factory, which is higher-quality, higher-strength plastic (as an owner of a few TLR kits, I'm familiar with the working of Losi/TLR plastic).

I could (easily) give additional reasons for my decision, but these are the most important ones.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
This maybe doesn't mean much yet where it's only 2 times but the first 2 videos I saw were on instagram of the 10.3 being ran, and both videos the rod end on the panhard link? I think it was broke where as their trx4 have never broke. Again, it isn't necessarily a fact that the plastic isn't as strong where it's only 2 people but a good possibility that their plastic may not be as good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
TIREBUSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIREBUSTER View Post
This maybe doesn't mean much yet where it's only 2 times but the first 2 videos I saw were on instagram of the 10.3 being ran, and both videos the rod end on the panhard link? I think it was broke where as their trx4 have never broke. Again, it isn't necessarily a fact that the plastic isn't as strong where it's only 2 people but a good possibility that their plastic may not be as good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The Panhard bar on the SCX10 III is a disaster. The link itself is too thin and flexible and the rod ends appear to be fragile and a nonstandard item. I've also seen the Panhard mount break on more than one truck, but I'm not sure how. That plastic is so tough. But it may be so stiff that it's brittle. I can't wait for the aftermarket to fix both the Panhard bar and the mount.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:28 PM   #29
v33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX4 View Post
I dont think it's more realistic than the trx4, maybe as much though.

The trx4 has locking/unlocking diffs, portal axels, no dig mode and a body that's very detailed. All realistic points when you compare it to the competitors.
i bought the sport and never really cared about the locking diffs and 2 speed options, also never really liked the scale bodies that came with the first wave of TRX4... it's a looker from afar but really far from nice, the tinted windows and toy like scale items looks wack.

i think the jeep body on the scx10.3 is the best out there, considering it is 3rd gen scx10. the portal c-hubs and axle pumpkin also looks like it has better clearance on rocks. the turn off i have with the trx4 axles is the size of the pumpkin... its huge! but i guess they had to make it beefy due to the weight of the rig.

there are a lot of things i hate about my trx4, but with the custom setup i have been slowly building... i know it will perform well.

i really am curious about the SCX10.3, imho, it has a lot of potential... maybe in the near future i will get one.
v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:17 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Here's a video. Both vehicles look pretty close to stock.

rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:56 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

At the end of the day we all prefer certain brands regardless. I've owned axial scx and wraith in the past and wouldn't touch them again, traxxas I've had a t maxx, emaxx, nitro sport, 3 slash and now the trx4, needless to say they can do no wrong in my eyes, blinkered no, a realist yes.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:50 PM   #32
RCC Addict

I'm just waiting till the new Axial Jeep body is available separately.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:21 PM   #33

I'm somebody that thinks blind brand loyalty is stupid. And when you refuse to try other brands or refuse to give other brands a second chance, you only short yourself of great stuff. Both the SCX10 III and TRX-4 are worth owning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v33 View Post
i bought the sport and never really cared about the locking diffs and 2 speed options, also never really liked the scale bodies that came with the first wave of TRX4... it's a looker from afar but really far from nice, the tinted windows and toy like scale items looks wack.

i think the jeep body on the scx10.3 is the best out there, considering it is 3rd gen scx10. the portal c-hubs and axle pumpkin also looks like it has better clearance on rocks. the turn off i have with the trx4 axles is the size of the pumpkin... its huge! but i guess they had to make it beefy due to the weight of the rig.

there are a lot of things i hate about my trx4, but with the custom setup i have been slowly building... i know it will perform well.

i really am curious about the SCX10.3, imho, it has a lot of potential... maybe in the near future i will get one.

I'm guessing you never used the locking diffs. They're awesome for various reasons.

I'd argue the Traxxas Bronco and Blazer bodies are still the best Lexan bodies out there. I'm not sure how tinted windows look like a toy. Tinted windows of all shades exist in real life. Which items are toy like?

The remote lockers increase the size of the pumpkins. And I wouldn't call them huge. Also, the SCX10 III is a very heavy truck itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
At the end of the day we all prefer certain brands regardless. I've owned axial scx and wraith in the past and wouldn't touch them again, traxxas I've had a t maxx, emaxx, nitro sport, 3 slash and now the trx4, needless to say they can do no wrong in my eyes, blinkered no, a realist yes.
I think this is closed minded thinking. Everything changes including brands. Axial has changed for the better under Horizon.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:26 PM   #34
v33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm guessing you never used the locking diffs. They're awesome for various reasons.
never had to, unusable for us here, we dont usually trail. most in our group are comp oriented and locking diffs are an advantage so we are not allowed to use them.

Quote:
I'd argue the Traxxas Bronco and Blazer bodies are still the best Lexan bodies out there. I'm not sure how tinted windows look like a toy. Tinted windows of all shades exist in real life. Which items are toy like?
i am not literally talking about tints that way, their windows are blacked out. dont tell me you don't find that toy like?

pls don't get me wrong, bronco and blazers are great looking bodies when properly dressed up and i know a lot of collectors and fans of these bodies. but like i said, we are not trail oriented so top heavy is not the norm, we try and opt for comp oriented bodies.

but i do find the scx10.3 body really nicely detailed. having said that, i'm sure if i ever purchase a v3, that body would be sold off.

Quote:
The remote lockers increase the size of the pumpkins. And I wouldn't call them huge. Also, the SCX10 III is a very heavy truck itself.
if that's not huge then i dont know what else is, i mean comparing it to an scx10.1 sure it's not really that big. I understand the funcation of the lockers, i have performed maintainance on a TRX-4 bronco rig. but in comparison to the scx10.3 they are larger.

yes, i heard the scx10.3 is heavy... how heavy compared to the stock trx4 (without body), i have no idea.

anyways, i bought the TRX4 so that i can experience first hand and compare portals to none portals. so far i am loving it, OOB, there are a lot of positives driving with portals and i am really enjoying this rig.

Last edited by v33; 03-31-2020 at 11:28 PM.
v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:10 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Your English is fine!

Where did you get that body? It is awesome!
Thanks Jato! This body comes with all the accessories you see in the pictures. Here is a link for it. Bumpers Are included also. Not sure its available in the US.

Ps. First time weathering a body.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbyte...roducts/441843

Veygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:15 AM   #36
Gold Star Baby!

That came out great Veygr!
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:10 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by v33 View Post
never had to, unusable for us here, we dont usually trail. most in our group are comp oriented and locking diffs are an advantage so we are not allowed to use them.

i am not literally talking about tints that way, their windows are blacked out. dont tell me you don't find that toy like?

pls don't get me wrong, bronco and blazers are great looking bodies when properly dressed up and i know a lot of collectors and fans of these bodies. but like i said, we are not trail oriented so top heavy is not the norm, we try and opt for comp oriented bodies.

but i do find the scx10.3 body really nicely detailed. having said that, i'm sure if i ever purchase a v3, that body would be sold off.

if that's not huge then i dont know what else is, i mean comparing it to an scx10.1 sure it's not really that big. I understand the funcation of the lockers, i have performed maintainance on a TRX-4 bronco rig. but in comparison to the scx10.3 they are larger.

yes, i heard the scx10.3 is heavy... how heavy compared to the stock trx4 (without body), i have no idea.

anyways, i bought the TRX4 so that i can experience first hand and compare portals to none portals. so far i am loving it, OOB, there are a lot of positives driving with portals and i am really enjoying this rig.
Oh if you're just comping and they aren't allowed it makes sense while you haven't tried them. Out on the trail they are a ton of fun and even act like a dig if you use them properly.

There is real life tint that it's as black as that. It doesn't bother me.

They are heavy bodies for sure, but I agree they look great.

No idea how close the TRX-4 and SCX10 III are in weight. My TRX-4's have extra weights or else I'd weight the chassis for the comparison. Hopefully somebody else can do it.

I agree the TRX-4 is fun, but there's room for both trucks. They're both great. And we all have our own preference so not everybody is going to like everything.

If you're just competing you probably wouldn't want
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veygr View Post
Thanks Jato! This body comes with all the accessories you see in the pictures. Here is a link for it. Bumpers Are included also. Not sure its available in the US.

Ps. First time weathering a body.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbyte...roducts/441843

Thank you!

It looks great for your first time weathering!
Old 04-01-2020, 09:11 AM   #38

Suppose that no mini-servos are installed in SCX10 iii, in order to compare a basic performance between [SCX10 iii kit] and [TRX-4 sport kit].

Furthermore, let us consider AXE550 motor and esc combo and C900W servo for both of them.

Can you compare their performances in crawling?
Veteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
this is true, but the SCX10.3 is a kit. It does not have any electronics(if you didn't realize). you can also get a dig unit off shapeways for the trx4. this makes the dig unit optional on either and the SCX10 (any version) does not have locking differentials...
You can buy axial kit completed. Getting bead locks is a big deal. Changing glued on tires is a PIA. Changing tires on a bead lock is easy. Bead locks are expensive. Getting a set with your RC has real value. Unless you plan on keeping your stock tires and rims, glue on wheels/tires just suck butt.

Dig is an assume feature. Using it in competitions puts you in a different class that would be difficult for a scaler to compete in. BUT it is a very cool feature.

Do you know anybody who has a dig unit in their TRX4.

Last edited by MOguy; 04-01-2020 at 10:04 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
You understand, when we said "locking diffs" we were referring to the ability to lock and unlock the TRX4 diffs on demand right? Maybe I should have said "on demand lockable diffs". In any case, please explain why anyone would want to use a locking compound on the SCX10 iii axles.

I am with you. I like having selectable lockers. I even have them on my real off road vehicle. Jamming up open diffs to lock them does not seem like a good option.

Using lockers increases traction but it also limits the ability to do tight turns. Turning them off makes you more maneuverable. With the TRX4 unlocking the rear diff can help turn even sharper in some situations (kind of kind of but not really) like dig.

Last edited by MOguy; 04-01-2020 at 10:05 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Traxxas TRX-4 vs. SCX10 III - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10 2 or Traxxas Trx-4? jksquires43 General Scale Talk 12 08-27-2017 08:59 PM
Axial SCX10-II vs RR10 Bomber vs Traxxas TRX-4 vs Vaterra Ascender MasteroFlego Newbie General 39 08-05-2017 08:08 AM