Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX-4 Performance vs. Stock SCX10 Gen 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #1

Default TRX-4 Performance vs. Stock SCX10 Gen 1

**THIS IS NOT A DEBATE THREAD. JUST LOOKING FOR A LITTLE FEEDBACK**

Hey all...

Getting back into RC after a 6-7 year hiatus. The landscape has certainly changed. I ditched the majority of my collection back when I got out of things (a new wife, and a house payment certainly can make an impact on your hobbies). I kept my trusty Traxxas Summit (one of the first truck I ever owned) and my 1st gen SCX10. I'm looking at getting a new kit or two to occupy my time during COVID-19, and to have something modern to run once this junk finally clears up.

I've bounced back and forth on a TRX-4 (likely the Sport kit). I'm also considering an Axial Capra (for something different than my current trucks). The question I have, or at least what I'm looking for feedback from you TRX-4 guys is this:

How does a TRX-4 stack up against a first generation SCX10?

It's a loaded question, but let me try to make it less so. My current SCX10 is running a nice Hitec servo, Holmes Hobbies brushed setup, beadlocks with decent tires from RC4WD, and every single part Vanquish made for the original SCX10. It's far from stock, but I didn't do anything custom or different than the original SCX10 design. I didn't change the wheelbase, or mess with suspension geometry, etc. I run 2S lipos in it.

If I built a TRX-4, I'd go with a high end steering steering servo, a similar Holmes motor/ESC, beadlocks, decent aftermarket tires, and likely some portal weights as those seem pretty important based on what I've read. I'd probably stick with 2S most of the time.

I'm not insanely technical, and I'm not a tinkerer. I tend to do the easy, obvious upgrades when I build a kit, upgrade for durability over time, but leave the stock "design" mostly alone. My motto is do the essentials and have fun with what you end up with, I guess.

I should also state that I'm primarily on trails, and NE Indiana doesn't lend it self to a ton of actual exposed rock. So it's really a trail truck that can crawl (which feels like what the SCX10 and TRX-4 were built for anyways).

So having said that...I guess my question has changed. If I build a TRX-4 like I described above, will I end up with something that drastically out performs my old, reliable SCX10. I'm trying to ease back into the hobby (both for my wallet and my marriage's sake). I'd love to have a TRX-4, but there's a couple of other things on my list that might make more sense unless I'm getting a completely different experience than what I have already. I know there will be technical differences with portals, etc. I'm really just looking for some opinions, or if any has both trucks and can give some feedback. It's not really a debate, just a question on whether or not I should put my money into a TRX-4 first, or stick with the trail truck I've got and look at a couple other projects first.

Thanks all!!
evan9hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: TRX-4 Performance vs. Stock SCX10 Gen 1

You'll love the Trx for trailing and crawling. I have modified scx10 dingo and modified Trx. Both very capable. I would say the Trx has an edge due to ground clearance.

Your parts list sounds like a good start. Hobbywing 1080 and servo are #1 then the other parts. Good luck! Can't wait to see it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have a few TRX4's and two scx10.2's. I'm going to assume the 10.2 performs better than the 10.1.

With a light body and some brass up front, the TRX4 is nearly impossible to beat. The 10.2 is no slouch, but it simply can't outperform the TRX4.

That said, I love both trucks for their own reason. The 10.2's are beautifully simple to maintain and the TRX4 with all the bells and whistles is a joy in the trails.
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:06 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have the defender, and have just gone with a lightweight lexan body and a few brass bits, it's now a beast. I have had my scx for 8 years I think, and whilst it was OK in the day, the trx4 is now wearing the crown, and for good reason.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #5

Great feedback guys! Appreciate a few of you weighing in. I’d likely go with the Sport kit so it will be the lighter body. I’m assuming portal weights on all four corners?
Old 04-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9hunter View Post
Great feedback guys! Appreciate a few of you weighing in. I’d likely go with the Sport kit so it will be the lighter body. I’m assuming portal weights on all four corners?
I run a 5000mah pack or two stacked on each other in a low center of gravity 3d printed tray in the center of the truck. I only put brass on the front. If you run a battery pack up front, it's less likely that you'll want brass unless you do more serious crawling. I mainly trail but do crawl quite a bit on the side, but not competitively, and brass up front works well. I've only got weight on the portal cover.

Photo is my son's truck, which he's kept dirty since our last outing
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:50 AM   #7
RCC Addict

For what you want to do , I would say the TRX 4 sport. Better ground clearance on the trails, then like others have said portal weights up front if you need it and the truck is an absolute Beast. I love my TRX 4 sport

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:45 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The big difference is the ground clearence of the axles. So if your axles don't hang up the performance difference is minimal. Harley designs and scale builders guild did an build off showing some good cheap upgrades like flipping bumper mounts and lowering the body for the trx4 that's worth a watch.

Rc scale review seems pretty biased to the trx4. Over hyping it.

Bottom line it's durable and soso capable out of the box. More durable then the scx10 for certain.

I found the scx10 easier to improve.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Have you run your SCX10 much since deciding to get more active with RCs again? Sometimes some time on the trail can help shed some light on what type of experience you want your next truck to provide.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:33 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I have never had a scx10 but have run with quite a few. I do have 5 trx4’s and think their great more skid and axle clearance better shocks stiff frame. Trim stock tires add portal covers and the big hot racing brass addon weights and drop in a 2 s short pack in a lower position and you have a real crawler. Capra is great too especially on 2.2 pins and 2s shorty. Crawls as good ax my sporty
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #11

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the TRX-4 Sport kit direct from Traxxas.com. I took a few days of PTO late next week, so I'm hoping it gets here in time so I can start building. I really appreciate all of your help!

I did run my SCX10 the other day for the first time in a long time. It ran okay (pretty much how I remembered it). But, another rig probably won't hurt anything (especially if a break something on a run and don't have a spare part, I'd have a spare vehicle).
Old 04-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I ran my SCX10 today which is pretty much stock. It was pulling some lines I didn’t think it could. This was the 1st time I ran it on 3s & I must say I liked it. Much more controllable on the low end. On hard surface it will pull the wheels & torque twist. Today was also the 1st time I drove it on my Fatuba radio, before was the Txx3pp Tatic. Don’t have a TRX4 as of yet to compare, I bought the kit but the PO seems to be having a problem getting it delivered to my house. Should have been here Thursday.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:33 PM   #13

Default TRX-4 Performance vs. Stock SCX10 Gen 1

Well I had typed a reply but it got deleted. either way here is my blazer. I love the 2 speed this has which is why I went with it over the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by BDRiskey; 04-25-2020 at 04:36 PM.
BDRiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX-4 Performance vs. Stock SCX10 Gen 1 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trx-4 with or without lockers for max allround performance? Ola. Traxxas TRX-4 22 02-21-2023 04:04 PM
Stock SCX10 Performance Tech. 6sharky9 Axial SCX-10 174 08-20-2018 09:48 AM
Bronco for 1st gen trx-4 secondcircle Traxxas TRX-4 5 03-22-2018 03:29 AM
Vanquish Currie axle vs stock performance uclabruins89 Axial SCX-10 3 07-05-2013 01:18 AM
stock cr-01 tire performance Defender Tires and Wheels 1 06-18-2008 09:08 AM