Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Bowhouse N2R high clearance skid and setting gear mesh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Bowhouse N2R high clearance skid and setting gear mesh

I installed a Bowhouse N2R high clearance skid yesterday on my TRX-4 crawler (started life as the TRX assembly kit with 2-speed trans and selectable lockers). While I had the motor off, I also changed to a 10T pinion; a Robinson Racing hardened gear. I mounted the gear mesh adapter on the motor to "B" as per the manual. Driving it around it was really loud, much louder than it was with stock parts. I felt based on the loudness that the pinion/spur mesh may be too tight. So I changed the adapter back to the "C" setting it originally had. You can probably see where this is headed.

Yep, I destroyed the spur gear in just a few minutes.

Someone at the crawler course said he used to have a TRX with the same N2R skid and had the same issue--very loud. He said he tried numerous brands and materials of pinion gears but it was always very loud. He said he had also ran a 10T pinion and used the "B" setting with no problems. He theorized that there's something inherently "off" with the skid in the way the motor sits in the slot in the skid leading to the much louder operating noise.

What do you think--go back to "B" setting per the manual? Is there a way to reduce the noise?

Has anyone else had this same issue? It's the first time I've heard of it in all of the reviews I read.

Last edited by RCTom; 03-09-2020 at 10:43 AM.
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2020, 08:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Bowhouse N2R high clearance skid and setting gear mesh

I'm running one in mine and it's definitely noisier than the stock skid. I use an alloy motor mount and a 8t pinion with the stock spur, which is a bit noisier to start with, but the BowHouse skid made things even louder. I think in part it's the different plastic and also the 1-piece design seems to resonate the gear noise more. The benefits outweigh the negative of the noise to me.

jim
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:29 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have used all the versions from prototype up to the current V2 and the only time gear mesh was an issue was on the early prototypes when using aftermarket motor mounts. It was discovered some aftermarket mounts have variances in the depth where they slot into the skid and caused mesh problems. A revision was made early on and I have been running a GRC motor mount with the skid for quite a while now with no mesh issues. I'd say if you are getting good mesh with the B hole and not overly tight, then keep running that setting.

As for the gear noise, can't say I've noticed if there was any more than stock since the Revolver drowns all that out.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
I'm running one in mine and it's definitely noisier than the stock skid. I use an alloy motor mount and a 8t pinion with the stock spur, which is a bit noisier to start with, but the BowHouse skid made things even louder. I think in part it's the different plastic and also the 1-piece design seems to resonate the gear noise more. The benefits outweigh the negative of the noise to me. jim
I was looking at alloy mounts at my LHS yesterday (both a Traxxas and and STRC brand). I agree with you--I can put up with the extra noise as long as the mesh is set correctly and it doesn't tear up any more spur gears. I wish Traxxas would've designed in an inspection hole/cover to check it. Had they done that I could've verified that the clearance was OK and I wouldn't have made the error of switching back the to the "C" hole on the motor mount based on the loudness of the gears alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I have used all the versions from prototype up to the current V2 and the only time gear mesh was an issue was on the early prototypes when using aftermarket motor mounts. It was discovered some aftermarket mounts have variances in the depth where they slot into the skid and caused mesh problems. A revision was made early on and I have been running a GRC motor mount with the skid for quite a while now with no mesh issues. I'd say if you are getting good mesh with the B hole and not overly tight, then keep running that setting.

As for the gear noise, can't say I've noticed if there was any more than stock since the Revolver drowns all that out.
I just checked out the GRC mount you mentioned and it's pretty slick. I like the inspection cover (hint, hint Traxxas). In your opinion, is the GRC version better performance-wise than the a regular alloy mount like the Traxxas and STRC versions I mentioned to Dr. F (aka will any of them work correctly with the N2R skid plate)? Also, how do you tell a V2 skid from an earlier one? I purchased two of these skids last summer/early fall from another LHS but have no idea which versions I bought.

Yeah, no denying that those Revolvers are loud. They don't bother me but some of the folks I crawl with get all twisted over it. Of course, I haven't heard anyone disputing how well they perform though!
Old 03-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTom View Post
I just checked out the GRC mount you mentioned and it's pretty slick. I like the inspection cover (hint, hint Traxxas). In your opinion, is the GRC version better performance-wise than the a regular alloy mount like the Traxxas and STRC versions I mentioned to Dr. F (aka will any of them work correctly with the N2R skid plate)? Also, how do you tell a V2 skid from an earlier one? I purchased two of these skids last summer/early fall from another LHS but have no idea which versions I bought.

Yeah, no denying that those Revolvers are loud. They don't bother me but some of the folks I crawl with get all twisted over it. Of course, I haven't heard anyone disputing how well they perform though!
The earliest versions of the skid were printed on a regular filament based printer so there are visible print lines, later versions are printed on a MJF machine so the surface texture is much closer to a molded part. The latest version of the skid has V2 engraved on the side by the diff lock servo mount.

Early version:

Current V2:

As for the motor plate, I really like it. It takes a way all the play between the motor plate and the clamp that secures it (some trucks have this issue more than others) but the ability to check mesh while everything is installed is the biggest win.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:39 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Mine's a V1, but, like svt', I run a GRC (copy) motor mount. It really helps with gear mesh, and makes it easy to grease 'em without tearing anything down too.
May have to get a V2 now.

jim
Old 03-09-2020, 01:45 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The earliest versions of the skid were printed on a regular filament based printer so there are visible print lines, later versions are printed on a MJF machine so the surface texture is much closer to a molded part. The latest version of the skid has V2 engraved on the side by the diff lock servo mount.
Based on the pics you provided I definitely installed a V1 last Saturday. I'll check when I get home but I'm pretty certain that the unopened one is also a V1 since I bought them at the same place at the same time.

So based on your previous comments, my V1 should still work with both the stock Traxxas plastic motor mount and the Traxxas aluminum or STRC mount? I looked for the GRC mount to order but it looks like I'll have to get it from China direct. Normally that'd be fine but I'll be running in another comp this Saturday so I need to fix the truck right away.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Mine's a V1, but, like svt', I run a GRC (copy) motor mount. It really helps with gear mesh, and makes it easy to grease 'em without tearing anything down too.
May have to get a V2 now.

jim

What brand copy did you buy? I've never had a copy of Chinese-made part before. Is the quality the same or does it get worse, like say when you photo copy another copy of a color image?

Last edited by RCTom; 03-09-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What brand copy did you buy? I've never had a copy of Chinese-made part before. Is the quality the same or does it get worse, like say when you photo copy another copy of a color image?
I found mine on eBay. I just found the cheapest one of that style. It seems to be about the same quality as the GRC high-clearance front hub set that I got. The fit and finish is great, although I did file the motor mounting holes just a bit to run the 8t pinion.

jim
Old 03-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I found mine on eBay. I just found the cheapest one of that style. It seems to be about the same quality as the GRC high-clearance front hub set that I got. The fit and finish is great, although I did file the motor mounting holes just a bit to run the 8t pinion.
jim
Gotcha. I've been looking and they're all (both GRC and its knock-offs) coming from China. I placed an order last night for a couple of GRC's.

In the meantime, I picked up an aluminum Traxxas motor mount so I can run this weekend. I guess now I get to do some product comparison testing in the near future.

But the GRC (and it's clones) are already one point ahead in scoring due to the removable inspection cover.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:21 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I have the GRC motor mount and it helps a lot allowing some access but XtraSpeed have an interesting mount. There are plenty of aluminum motor mounts available but this one is attached to the aluminum lower spur gear cover using a screw. This leaves the whole pinion and spur much more open than the GRC mount for checking engagement and mesh clearance. Having the aluminum lower cover "might" even help with the noise from the Bowhouse skid.

Another advantage is that the bulk of the weight is lower down and you can still use the original upper cover which is a few grams lighter, improving the CG, even if only in a small way, but every little bit helps. In the words of the immortal Smokey Yunick if you want to lighten your race care by 100 lbs the thing to do is look for 1600 places you can shave an ounce.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Last edited by bbrigg; 03-10-2020 at 11:37 PM.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
I have the GRC motor mount and it helps a lot allowing some access but XtraSpeed have an interesting mount. There are plenty of aluminum motor mounts available but this one is attached to the aluminum lower spur gear cover using a screw. This leaves the whole pinion and spur much more open than the GRC mount for checking engagement and mesh clearance. Having the aluminum lower cover "might" even help with the noise from the Bowhouse skid.

Another advantage is that the bulk of the weight is lower down and you can still use the original upper cover which is a few grams lighter, improving the CG, even if only in a small way, but every little bit helps.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
That is an interesting design that I had not seen yet.

However, if I'm not mistaken (and someone please correct me if I am), the two ears sticking off of the mount is for one of the control arms, no? If that's the case, then I don't see how it would work with the N2R skid plate since it incorporates the tranny skid and the bottom portion of the motor mount into one unit.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:33 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

BTW, I forgot to mention that I installed an STRC aluminum motor mount for the time being until the GRC mounts arrive. I also used the "B" mounting position per the manual for my gearing.

The new mount fit into the N2R skid better than the stock plastic Traxxas mount. When I tightened the clamp I could see the motor was at a slightly different angle. Test running on the bench and on the floor went well with a reduction in noise from the first time I did this swap, although it' still a bit louder than stock.

I won't get to take it to the course until Saturday to try it out but it seems very good now.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:25 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That is an interesting design that I had not seen yet.

However, if I'm not mistaken (and someone please correct me if I am), the two ears sticking off of the mount is for one of the control arms, no? If that's the case, then I don't see how it would work with the N2R skid plate since it incorporates the tranny skid and the bottom portion of the motor mount into one unit.
I hadn't looked that closely at the Bowhouse skid and didn't realize they had amalgamated the skid and lower spur cover. That's probably a big part of why people are getting more noise with the larger panel resonating more.

~more facts, logic and personal responsibility would make the world a far better place than all the leftist ideas could dream of.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #15
JC3
Quarry Creeper

This is my second go around with the Bowhouse skid. V1 was pure 3D printed garbage and I promptly sent it back. However, this new V2 skid is the real deal. Excellent fit and finish. I do however have the problem with gear mesh and noise. I just installed it yesterday and I think I know how I'm going to resolve the gear mesh matter and we'll see if that reduces the noise. I think it will.
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
This is my second go around with the Bowhouse skid. V1 was pure 3D printed garbage and I promptly sent it back. However, this new V2 skid is the real deal. Excellent fit and finish. I do however have the problem with gear mesh and noise. I just installed it yesterday and I think I know how I'm going to resolve the gear mesh matter and we'll see if that reduces the noise. I think it will.

Does it really make a solid difference offroad? Ive always wanted one but i also dont feel like its my skids that usually get hung up. Its usually the sliders, links or axles.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #17
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
Does it really make a solid difference offroad? Ive always wanted one but i also dont feel like its my skids that usually get hung up. Its usually the sliders, links or axles.
I literally just installed it and haven't used it yet. My comment about it was mainly regarding the vast improvement in fit and finish compared to version one. Version one of the skid was so bad I immediately took it out and sent it back without ever using it! My truck is set up strictly for crawling performance so I've trimmed down the side rails considerably. For my setup, I'm quite confident that overall the new skid will be a performance improvement. Time will tell and I'll try to report back after a few crawls and comps.

Following up, I was wrong about the gear mesh. After checking it, the mesh was actually perfect! We'll have to see if the noise changes with some run time break in.

I've been looking at some 100 and 110 shocks in order to give your excellent shock upgrade a try!
Attached Images

Last edited by JC3; 04-24-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:13 PM   #18
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Reading that the GRC mount had a gear mesh viewing port in it, I decided to make my own viewing port in a stock gear cover. I had a spare gear cover and trans to experiment with. I used a spare plug from the receiver box to seal the port up.
Attached Images

Last edited by JC3; 04-24-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Bowhouse N2R high clearance skid and setting gear mesh - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
N2R High Clearance Skid for Traxxas TRX-4 by BowHouse RC new2rocks Traxxas TRX-4 10 02-24-2019 11:58 PM
REDESIGN of the BowHouse RC N2R TRX-4 High Clearance Skid! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 02-07-2019 02:40 PM
In Stock Now the NEW BowHouse RC N2R TRX-4 High Clearance Skid! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 10-17-2018 03:34 PM
Coming Soon the NEW BowHouse RC N2R TRX-4 High Clearance Skid! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 09-27-2018 11:46 AM