Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Levi's trx4 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Levi's trx4 build

So I've had my trx4 for about a year and a half. It rides stock except the savox sw1210sg servo. The stock one was good but upgraded it to this savox shortly after getting it. It might get something different down the road maybe when the upgrades are complete depending on how much bigger servo I need. I'm thinking it should be just fine.

I also picked up this jeep body back some time ago and finally just been sitting down to get it going. Still got some edges to clean up on it.

Than just over the weekend I got everything else I ordered. New bumpers, bumper mounts, wheels and tires, and some new foams. I need another set of foams but seems like most of everyone was out of stock. So I'll be picking up another set later down the road.

So I've got plenty to keep busy with for some time. I work way to much to get alot done on rc stuff. Not including what time I spend with family, which is very little.

I've got more plans for the build sometime in the future. Brass weights, winch, lights, and eventually go brushless.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #2

Default Re: Levi's trx4 build

Why the "extra" set of wheels and tires?
tdo805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
So I've had my trx4 for about a year and a half. It rides stock except the savox sw1210sg servo. The stock one was good but upgraded it to this savox shortly after getting it. It might get something different down the road maybe when the upgrades are complete depending on how much bigger servo I need. I'm thinking it should be just fine.

I also picked up this jeep body back some time ago and finally just been sitting down to get it going. Still got some edges to clean up on it.

Than just over the weekend I got everything else I ordered. New bumpers, bumper mounts, wheels and tires, and some new foams. I need another set of foams but seems like most of everyone was out of stock. So I'll be picking up another set later down the road.

So I've got plenty to keep busy with for some time. I work way to much to get alot done on rc stuff. Not including what time I spend with family, which is very little.

I've got more plans for the build sometime in the future. Brass weights, winch, lights, and eventually go brushless
It's sad that work consumes so much of our lives - some more than others.

I'm interested to see that body painted up and mounted. It has to be a massive body to fit the TRX-4 Defender.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:10 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdo805 View Post
Why the "extra" set of wheels and tires?
The extra set of wheels and tires are for the spare tire that mounts to the rear bumper/rack that I will be putting on.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:14 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
It's sad that work consumes so much of our lives - some more than others.

I'm interested to see that body painted up and mounted. It has to be a massive body to fit the TRX-4 Defender.
Yep, it's very sad...you get use to working so many hours and getting very little sleep. I've seen a local guy that did a jeep body on a trx4 and it didnt look to bad imo.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:57 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Well like I said, it's going to be a slow process on this build. Got the tires mounted and also installed the new bumpers and bumper mounts. With the new wheel and tires even with the defender body on looks much better. The jeep body has now been washed and drying tonight. Start painting soon.... still have to adjust the body mounts when the jeep body goes one.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:13 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Making some progress, I think, lol. So I did it, I'm taking my trx4 off it's diet and feeding it some brass weight where its do. Got some samix brass for the front and rear axles. I'm amazed how heavy each package it is. Than I ordered some more ssd wheels and pitbull rock beast tires. I wanted to try some other tires with this project.

Last time I did put together some ssd rugged wheels and rc4wd Goodyear mtr tires. Excited when I get this all together and go see what different the tires make between the mtr and rock beasts. Not to mention adding the samix brass and trading out the heavy defender body and putting on the jeep wrangler body.

Thoughts I'm feel like I should make one step at a time. Finish the jeep body, than go do some good test runs. Than try some different wheels and tires and more test runs. Than add the brass weights and again more test runs. Sounds like it would take some good time to do. Time I dont have. Truth is if I could buy more hours in the day I would do so. So I'm putting all theses goodies on, than go do some good test runs. Now just need another weekend to put it all together and find some foam for the wheels I like better.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:46 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Sometimes you just have to make time for the hobby, lol. Got a opportunity to sit down and install the front and rear samix brass weight sets from the stock setup.

The brass when packaged was awesome. Everything in it's own separate pocket in the package. The brass itself was really great quality and everything fits perfectly.

Imo it was a well worth every penny for it. After I installed everything, you definitely noticed the weight difference between stock and after the adding on the brass. Adding the brass should for sure help with the unsprung weight.

Can't wait to see how good this truck climbs when I'm done. Next on the list is mounting the last 3rd set of wheels and tires for the space. Than mounting the other set wheels and tires. I do have to get some new hubs though. The screws in the back of the wheel hit the rotors. So I need to find something more to space it out and should be good.

I even ordered a new bumper after seeing it online. So it might swap out the front bumper or save the new one on the way for the scx10 project that's on hold.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:29 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

You can use vanquish hubs and screws with ssd wheels. I have a set of ssd wheels with 450 vp hubs and fits nice on my trx4. What tire foams did you get for the mtrs? I have 4.19 mgrs on my trx4 that I've been building
89lxmorepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:55 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89lxmorepower View Post
You can use vanquish hubs and screws with ssd wheels. I have a set of ssd wheels with 450 vp hubs and fits nice on my trx4. What tire foams did you get for the mtrs? I have 4.19 mgrs on my trx4 that I've been building
The foams are a ci #cwr-2031 4.75 standard inner w/soft outer + tuning ring. I've never used them before. I have another set of theses foams waiting to be installed with some pitbull tires. My lhs owner crawler guy swears by them. So I thought I'd give them a try.

Last edited by Levi; 01-30-2020 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:16 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Got another order in this past week. Got theses sweet looking arb diff covers for the front and rear axles. Also installed a set of samix brass bushings for the c hubs. Had to get a set of 8mm wheel hubs to clear the rotors. Even got the spare wheel and tire together. Getting excited to finish this project more.

I have to reset the tires though. They are not balanced and have that stupid wobble in them. As I sit on the kitchen table working on my trucks. It makes me remember how much I hate working on the dinner table. Just like the old days all over again. My work space is on hold till I get more materials to finish it up. Oh how I miss my workbench/hobby space.

Last edited by Levi; 02-09-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Nice build comin along!! The Samix stuff looks good.
I love the RC4WD ARB diff covers!!
You'll feel the same way as the LHS owner about the C.I foams!!!
Summitonslingrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summitonslingrs View Post
Nice build comin along!! The Samix stuff looks good.
I love the RC4WD ARB diff covers!!
You'll feel the same way as the LHS owner about the C.I foams!!!
Thanks. Cant wait to see how these tires do with the ci foam. One of the many reasons why I visit this one lhs is because of the owner. He's very knowledgeable about crawlers and I trust his opinions.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:24 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Another slow weekend of truck building. Managed to get some ssd wheels and pitbull rock beast tires mounted. And yes I even have one for the spare tire. I just ran out of time to swap it over from the mtr tire that's on the spare before leaving to pick kids up from school, lol.

Now for the sad part. For a while I've been working on the body for this trx4. It started out pretty good. Than somewhere in the process the body started cracking by the fender flares. I was ok with it and thought I'd shoe goo the four cracks. Than me being stupid and knowing better I tried painting more than one coat at a time, you know trying to save some time.

So I screwed up and the paint bleed though the edges of the type. I tried fixing it but just not completely happy with the way its turning out. So time to throw it away and start all over again. This time, just slowing down and do it right, the second time lol.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

The last while working on this project has been paying off. I've got it mostly done enough where I felt like I could run it. Although not completely done, I still have wheel wells, lights and interior to work on, it was time to put what I had to the test.

So it was a good day of weather yesterday so what to do. Gather up some friends and go run trucks. Loaded up the car and went on our adventure. I took 4 trucks out to play with and only ended up running only my trx4, lol.

I've got 3 sets of wheels and tires for this build. Pitbull rockbeasts, rc4wd mtr, and a set of pre mounted hyrax. I have the samix brass weight kit for the front and rear. I set aside the defender body and swapped for the proline jeep wrangler body. Added front and rear bumpers, rock sliders, and a few other small goodies.

Of course the first thing I had to do was take some pictures before it ran and got its first set of scratches on it since I've been working on upgrading it.

So what can I say so far about the build. Is wow, so sweet, there is a difference between day and night from when it was stock with the defender body and running with the mods that I've got so far. I was able to climb things that were never possible. I was climbing slopes that I had to have a hand to hold onto the rocks to climb up myself. I was completely blown away after making these climbs.

The samix brass weights paid off for sure. I'm now a believer in the pitbull rockbeast and rc4wd mtr tires. I can't say for sure but I'd like to believe that the crawler Innovations foam paired off for sure. I didnt run the stock foams with the tires before hand to see how they would do. I weight the truck in at 9.4 lbs, plus or minus which tires I put on and without a battery.

Overall I'm really thrilled with the build. I'll continue to work on it when I can. It was great just to get out for once. With all the hours I work, the mess that's happening in the world, sometimes you just have to get out and enjoy life.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Really good looking TRX you've got there! Love the color.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:00 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Really good looking TRX you've got there! Love the color.
Thanks really happy how it came out. What I really wanted was a teal color. Tamiya and the others dont make that. Or I also wanted what jeep or everyone seems to call it bikini blue. So this was the next best choice. While out running yesterday I got complements on the body and wheels on it.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I like the build so far Levi, nice color choice.
myjrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:54 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

It's taking me awhile but I finally got at least the front inner fenders done. The trx4 bronco fenders fit right up of course. Had to do some chopping to make them fit the proline jeep body.

The back fenders are being a problem. They sit to low and leave a pretty good gap and looks like crap. So I've got to come up with something better or figure out something to fill in th gap.

I've been eyeing out some metal axles for the front and rear for another date down the road.

Levi's trx4 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Levi's scx10ii build Levi Axial SCX10 II 44 07-13-2021 09:06 PM
Trx4 Sport build Shawns303 Traxxas TRX-4 15 01-12-2020 08:41 PM
Trx4 blazer build trex4Owner Traxxas TRX-4 10 11-20-2018 09:42 AM