Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Traxxas TRX-4 Sport Kit LED lighting module and Hobbywing 1080 ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2020, 01:58 PM   #1

Default Traxxas TRX-4 Sport Kit LED lighting module and Hobbywing 1080 ESC

I have run into a little snag..

I added the Traxxas LED light module and I have a Hobbywing 1080

We added the same module to my son's Tan Sport and the XL5 ESC has an extending cable to connect the LED light module to.

Would I need to create a conversion connection to the open Hobbywing ESC 3 prong? Has anyone done that before?

Thanks for any help and guidance.
ChrisSandstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2020, 02:25 PM   #2

Default Re: Traxxas TRX-4 Sport Kit LED lighting module and Hobbywing 1080 ESC

If you look closely at your stock ESC, you will notice that the lighting wires are connected in at battery level voltage, right where it comes out of the ESC.

I too am running a light kit with the 1080, and have wired in my own connector that matches what was on the stock ESC.

I soldered the lighting wires at the battery connector (I use XT60 battery connectors) since I didn't want to risk damaging the 1080 ESC trying to solder the lighting wires near the sensitive electronics.

You can get everything you need from Amazon (or perhaps a local RC shop) if you don't already have it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
niggemannb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggemannb View Post
If you look closely at your stock ESC, you will notice that the lighting wires are connected in at battery level voltage, right where it comes out of the ESC.

I too am running a light kit with the 1080, and have wired in my own connector that matches what was on the stock ESC.

I soldered the lighting wires at the battery connector (I use XT60 battery connectors) since I didn't want to risk damaging the 1080 ESC trying to solder the lighting wires near the sensitive electronics.

You can get everything you need from Amazon (or perhaps a local RC shop) if you don't already have it.

Awesome! Thank you, can you add a pick of yours when you get a chance?
Old 04-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #4

Here is a picture. (just got home from work).

You can see I got some other wiring going on in the background. I built my own light kit.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Here is a picture. (just got home from work).

You can see I got some other wiring going on in the background. I built my own light kit.

Thanks!

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 04-30-2020 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Please don't quote photos. It clutters threads.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #6

Quote:

Thanks again for the tip, on locating the JST connectors! I picked these up from the zon.

20 Gauge Silicone JST Connector, SIM&NAT 5.9 inch 2 Pin Male Female JST RCY Plug Connectors Cable Wire for LED Lamp Strip RC Toys Battery (10 Pair)

Old 04-30-2020, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSandstorm View Post
Thanks again for the tip, on locating the JST connectors! I picked these up from the zon.

20 Gauge Silicone JST Connector, SIM&NAT 5.9 inch 2 Pin Male Female JST RCY Plug Connectors Cable Wire for LED Lamp Strip RC Toys Battery (10 Pair)
Great! You're welcome!

You can also use them to make custom lighting kits. I actually have the bare connectors and a set of crimpers, a bunch of wire, a bunch of LEDs, soldering equipment, etc. I find it enjoyable to build that sort of stuff.

My favorite lighting project so far was my friends wedding present. A couple of coworkers and I went together on getting him a TRX4 Tactical, battery and charger, toolkit, etc and then I also wired up a lighting kit with 50 LEDs including a switch for 16 red/blue flashing lights.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 04-30-2020 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Please don't quote photos. It clutters threads.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:20 PM   #8

Dude that is seriously cool!! Your table organization enviable!

I am excited for phase 2 now, Lights!! Build complete and got to wheel it today, but then go dark. So ready to get going on lights! Keep the pics coming! Great stuff.

Traxxas TRX-4 Sport Kit LED lighting module and Hobbywing 1080 ESC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hobbywing 1080 esc help b_mock Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 11 01-24-2020 07:31 AM
Axial Capra vs Traxxas TRX-4 Sport kit Stomp General Crawlers 27 10-31-2019 08:27 PM
Hobbywing 1080 esc Bjorn Electronics 2 03-18-2019 12:36 PM