Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Ring and pinion shimming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2020, 11:50 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Ring and pinion shimming

What’s the best solution to shimming the ring and pinion on the front and rear axles?

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2020, 11:14 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Ring and pinion shimming

I have never found it necessary to shim the R&P on any of my TRX4 axles.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:36 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Right on. My truck rolls .75" front to back sitting on level ground. The biggest area of slop I see is in the ring and pinion and next is the axle to the diff, this is both front and rear. I'm super anal and I just want to get the most out of my rig.

Lou
Old 04-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I think you're chasing windmills. But if you feel you have excessive play in the R&P you would need to move the pinion closer to the ring gear. You do this by placing the shim between the pinion gear and inner bearing. A little goes a long way so you may need a selection of shims to find the one that you need.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I'm an A&P helicopter mechanic by trade. I've rebuilt a few gearboxes in my day...

I'm knee deep into my SCX10.3 build. I spent 1.5hrs shimming the axles on it. I found a nice shim set that is 5x8 ID, OD with thicknesses from .1mm to .3mm. I just cant seem to find the same for 6mm ID to match the TRX-4 pinion shaft.

Here is where I ended up with on the 10.3.

Lou
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
I'm an A&P helicopter mechanic by trade. I've rebuilt a few gearboxes in my day...

I'm knee deep into my SCX10.3 build. I spent 1.5hrs shimming the axles on it. I found a nice shim set that is 5x8 ID, OD with thicknesses from .1mm to .3mm. I just cant seem to find the same for 6mm ID to match the TRX-4 pinion shaft.

Here is where I ended up with on the 10.3.

Lou
Lou.

Nice I like the tuning on the gear, where did you find the shim set mentioned?

Pep
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:47 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391733629202

Now that I looked it up again, I see the6 have the same kit for 6mm... problem solved

Lou
Old 05-01-2020, 11:53 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/391733629202

Now that I looked it up again, I see the6 have the same kit for 6mm... problem solved

Lou
The crowd roars ... going pick some of those up, thanks for the pointer. Knowing these can be had, I will dig in and get rid of the slop ....
Best thread read so far. ..... 10pts
Pep

Last edited by JacktheRipper; 05-01-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:39 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheRipper View Post
The crowd roars ... going pick some of those up, thanks for the pointer. Knowing these can be had, I will did in and get rid of the slop ....
Best thread read so far. ..... 10pts
Pep

Thanks bro.

I know this level of work is not for everyone and that's totally cool. As for me, I just want my equipment to perform as good as it possibly can. When I find a limit, or a problem I can't correct, then it will start looking for a new rig.

I DO chase the dragon... I do that same with my drones, I keep trying different stuff until I'm happy with how the quad flies.

There is no wrong way to "hobby", as long as you are having fun, roll with it!

Lou
Old 05-01-2020, 01:20 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I went over board shimming the diffs on my wraiths. Even filed down my LURC locker to be able to shim the ring gear over. Got them perfect and now there's absolutely no slop. Took quite a while to get it right, but its worth it. You probably know already since you did one already, but leave a tiny amount of back lash when shimming it without grease, so there is room for the grease when you add grease. First one I did ended up to tight once I greased it, and had to take it apart again.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:

Lou

A&P mechanic! Now I understand your attention to detail. A little context makes a world of difference.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:20 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
I went over board shimming the diffs on my wraiths. Even filed down my LURC locker to be able to shim the ring gear over. Got them perfect and now there's absolutely no slop. Took quite a while to get it right, but its worth it. You probably know already since you did one already, but leave a tiny amount of back lash when shimming it without grease, so there is room for the grease when you add grease. First one I did ended up to tight once I greased it, and had to take it apart again.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Actually that clearance can be set, and repeatable using note book paper or wax paper.

Cut a strip 1/4 wide or so, bout 2"" long. Roll it in between the gear mesh. Shim the gear with paper in place .

Have a lathe, used setting the clearance of lead screw, drive gear of carriage. Just one example.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:35 PM   #13

I'm a nut for trying to get the most out of a rig but the mesh on mine was already as perfect as I would want it. Axial uses helical gears, they NEED to be meshed right or they will damage.

Just be careful, the trx4 pinion has a flange at the base of it don't go swimming so much that it hits that flange.

You may want to take everything apart and see if its just worn out. I don't know how old/new your rig is.
CNCist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:43 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I got the rig second hand from FB marketplace. The chassis and links didn’t hardly have a scratch on them. The previous owner also has a trx4 rtr and I’m wondering if some parts didn’t get the swaperoo... I’ll get back to it once I’m done with my 10.3 and really get into the weeds.

Lou
Old 05-02-2020, 02:11 AM   #15

Quote:
I got the rig second hand from FB marketplace. The chassis and links didn’t hardly have a scratch on them. The previous owner also has a trx4 rtr and I’m wondering if some parts didn’t get the swaperoo... I’ll get back to it once I’m done with my 10.3 and really get into the weeds.

Lou
Yeah man just check the axle gears. I just checked mine (3 weeks old) and all my slop comes from the portals, not the diffs. I replaced all my lube with Lucas red n tacky, but I don't think that will take away a lot of slop. Lucas will just lubricate/cool much better than Chinese grease.
CNCist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I’ll have to look into the Lucas stuff. I’ve used Tri-flow grease for all my RC stuff for years. I’ll for sure take a closer look at the portal gears too, thanks!

Lou
Old 05-02-2020, 01:11 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCist View Post
Yeah man just check the axle gears. I just checked mine (3 weeks old) and all my slop comes from the portals, not the diffs. I replaced all my lube with Lucas red n tacky, but I don't think that will take away a lot of slop. Lucas will just lubricate/cool much better than Chinese grease.
going to get some of that Lucas red n tacky grease for my TRX 4 and may use it on my push bike bearings too
BREL is offline   Reply With Quote

Ring and pinion shimming - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ring and Pinion PileDriver Axial Wraith 5 05-11-2014 09:01 AM
Shimming a ring gear josephi Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 17 12-02-2013 08:24 PM
Helical ring and pinion gears sets with an offset pinion? Calderwood General Crawlers 6 09-14-2013 09:06 PM
Shimming the ring and pinion? Joiner Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 07-27-2008 07:59 PM
? shimming tlt ring and pinion skid Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 05-13-2005 07:17 PM