Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX6 "No-Wire" Lighting Mod (Maybe TRX4 too)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default TRX6 "No-Wire" Lighting Mod (Maybe TRX4 too)

This thread will likely make the EEs that work at Traxxas puke... But, to be fair, this is a mod I had seen some years ago, and 3D printing has opened up the possibility to do it so that it functions well, and looks good.

It is a minor thing, but that little wire that connects power to the LEDs on the body is very annoying. In truth, they are all annoying, but Traxxas upped the game here with that little-bitty connector. So, this mod basicly eliminates the need to touch that connector again. Simply put, you drop the body on and the electrical connections feeding the body's LED are made automatically, with nothing to plug in, just put the body clips in and you are good to go, lights and all.

First, here is a video I shot, it explains what the mod does, and how. Below that is a write-up with lots of pictures...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lpZVseARwI

I designed and printed two parts, one to hold the contacts on the body, and another to hold the contacts on the back shock tower. I thought about using the front shock tower, but the electronics up there are busy enough.

The chassis...
The bracket is designed so that it self-centers, and is held on with two zip-ties.

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr

And the body...
Two 4mm (3mm) screws hole the bracket on.

The parts...
The contacts are AA-sized contacts, both spring and cup. These can be gotten off of Amazon, just search for "Spring Contacts". After soldering, the contacts just push into the 3D printed parts, and are held securely in place when mounted.

by Scott O, on Flickr

The wires for the chassis mount have to be routed before they are soldered on to the contacts. I designed the stupid thing and forgot this step... Once the contacts are soldered they are pushed in and the slack pulled out, the wires will rest if guides.

I used 24ga silicone wire, but servo wires should be good as well. The connector will need to be snipped, leaving enough room for soldering and tinning. The blue wire is high, the black is return.

At this point the bracket just slides on to the shock tower. There is a pocket between the shock tower and zip tie that is an excellent place to secure the wires through.

The body...
The holes on the bracket are 2.8mm, which allows a 3mm screw to screw into it. These holes are 12mm apart on center. Contacts line up directly with the body posts, and positioning is fairly simple. I put a piece of blue masking take between to body posts to maker everything out, then punched the holes. The body post holes are 65mm edge-to-edge...

Verify all electrical paths before your connect up power. This goes double for making sure you have the contacts on the proper side. When it is all done you should be able to drop the body on and have lights!!!

If interested, the files can be found here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4319700
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2020, 09:05 PM   #2

Default Re: TRX6 "No-Wire" Lighting Mod (Maybe TRX4 too)

Very cool! It's funny you posted this today when I posted something along the same lines.

I kinda like your idea better though.

Wireless LED Light Connector
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:48 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I really like this idea. Like you I hate having to mess with lighting connections between the body and my rigs. I may have to give this a shot. Thanks for posting up.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #4

Very nice. I've never installed lights on anything because of the wiring mess and need to hook and unhook. This is clean and easy. Thanks for the share.
WhiskeyThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:24 PM   #5

Fantastic idea, really neat solution, will definitely give this a go so thanks for sharing the detailed plans. I've always found it a nuisance to have the body tethered to the chassis with these fiddly light-kit wires, more often than not I just don't bother to hook them up, as its a right pain in the A to keep connecting and disconnecting. Great solution.
nginsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Lol I doubt the traxxas team will be that bothered, but it's not a bad idea ��
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX6 "No-Wire" Lighting Mod (Maybe TRX4 too) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
photographers: cheap "studio" lighting? STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 13 01-30-2008 07:49 PM