Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Servo stripped within 14 days of use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #1

Default Servo stripped within 14 days of use

Our 2075x Servo stripped in 14 days of moderate use...

Our Tan Sport TRx-4 arrived on 4/14. Within a few uses we stripped out the plastic servo horn. I would say most of the use was mild crawling and a little bit of speed driving on the grass in the back yard. Nothing abusive.

I had picked up a flat aluminum servo horn locally for a second TRX-4 Sport build kit, as I did not know the Sport Kit build came with a metal TRX-4 specific servo horn.

So when my son's plastic horn was stripped, I installed the flat Servo horn I picked up locally.

Well last night the steering was not responsive on the TRX-4 Tan Sport and we realized the horn was loose. Tightened it and it did not hold, took it apart again and noticed the servo wheel teeth were stripped.

I think this is probably my fault. Traxxas' TRX-4 horn shape is not flat, and I believe the flat servo horn I installed obviously caused the servo wheel to strip.

Stripped 2075x servo

Traxxas TRX-4 servo horn installed on my TRX-4 Sport Kit

Rather then rebuild the stock servo, I reached out to Savox and they recommended...

Purchased this and a Traxxas TRX-4 specific servo horn.
ChrisSandstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2020, 03:57 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Servo stripped within 14 days of use

The stock servo is good for trail running and light crawling on the rocks, but anything rougher than that and it will give up the ghost.

For the most part, you want a servo with at least 300oz of torque, and to steer with authority on the rocks, at least 400oz. I have good luck with Savox servos, and using 1231s in my TRX4s and TRX6 (@7VDC), and have had no issues.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
RCC Addict

That's impressive that you got 14 days out of the stock unit! Joking, but not really..

With that Savox servo running off a Traxxas ESC, you're want an external bec. the stock esc won't push enough Amps to feed that servo and keep it happy.

If you stripped the output as you indicate, it's more likely that the horn came loose to cause that. Very unlikely it has anything to do with the horn itself. Doesn't particularly matter at this point, I just want to highlight the importance of installing a metal horn correctly - tighten the pivot bolt to be snug (not so tight it creates restriction on the horn), then tighten down the clamp bolts, then tighten the pivot bolt all the way down.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:22 PM   #4

RTR electronics, from any brand that I can think of, are temporary. They are built to meet a price point which means they are low quality and they usually don't last long. I've had great luck with Traxxas ESC's and motors, but not their servos. That sucks, but it's the result of modern day profits margins. The good thing is that, outside of electronics, the truck is built like a tank.

As was said above, Savox servos are power hungry which can cause brownouts. If you experience that you may need to get a BEC. I don't know if the BEC from Traxxas is sufficient as I have never used it.

Ensure you are using a drop of blue thread lock on both the screw that holds the servo horn onto the servo and the screw that holds the link onto the servo horn. Forgive me if you already know that. I don't know how new you are to this hobby.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
The stock servo is good for trail running and light crawling on the rocks, but anything rougher than that and it will give up the ghost.

For the most part, you want a servo with at least 300oz of torque, and to steer with authority on the rocks, at least 400oz. I have good luck with Savox servos, and using 1231s in my TRX4s and TRX6 (@7VDC), and have had no issues.
Super helpful thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
That's impressive that you got 14 days out of the stock unit! Joking, but not really..

With that Savox servo running off a Traxxas ESC, you're want an external bec. the stock esc won't push enough Amps to feed that servo and keep it happy.

If you stripped the output as you indicate, it's more likely that the horn came loose to cause that. Very unlikely it has anything to do with the horn itself. Doesn't particularly matter at this point, I just want to highlight the importance of installing a metal horn correctly - tighten the pivot bolt to be snug (not so tight it creates restriction on the horn), then tighten down the clamp bolts, then tighten the pivot bolt all the way down.
Thanks did not know there was a sequence but makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
RTR electronics, from any brand that I can think of, are temporary. They are built to meet a price point which means they are low quality and they usually don't last long. I've had great luck with Traxxas ESC's and motors, but not their servos. That sucks, but it's the result of modern day profits margins. The good thing is that, outside of electronics, the truck is built like a tank.

As was said above, Savox servos are power hungry which can cause brownouts. If you experience that you may need to get a BEC. I don't know if the BEC from Traxxas is sufficient as I have never used it.

Ensure you are using a drop of blue thread lock on both the screw that holds the servo horn onto the servo and the screw that holds the link onto the servo horn. Forgive me if you already know that. I don't know how new you are to this hobby.
Very helpful, I am as green as they come.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:39 PM   #6

I wonder if I am going to need a BEC with the Savox 1210 and HobbyWing 1080 ESC I installed in my build Sport kit?
Old 04-28-2020, 06:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSandstorm View Post
I wonder if I am going to need a BEC with the Savox 1210 and HobbyWing 1080 ESC I installed in my build Sport kit?

You shouldn't need an external BEC with the 1080 and that servo. The 1080 has a good internal BEC.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You shouldn't need an external BEC with the 1080 and that servo. The 1080 has a good internal BEC.
Awesome thanks!
Old 04-28-2020, 11:31 PM   #9
RCC Addict

What Jato said. I run the Savox 1230SG and HW1080 with no external BEC on my Sport and it has somewhere around 500 hours now without any power related issues.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
What Jato said. I run the Savox 1230SG and HW1080 with no external BEC on my Sport and it has somewhere around 500 hours now without any power related issues.
Cool, Thanks! I am learning a ton with this hobby, super fun. I am going to solder some stuff, that will be first!
Old 04-30-2020, 01:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSandstorm View Post
Cool, Thanks! I am learning a ton with this hobby, super fun. I am going to solder some stuff, that will be first!
There's definitely lots to learn and that's part of the fun IMO.

Soldering isn't easy to learn, but it can be fun when it's not frustrating. Good luck.

Servo stripped within 14 days of use - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stripped servo Leadchucker RC4WD Bully 19 04-01-2013 09:12 AM
stripped servo gear judgeshock Venom Creeper 0 04-26-2012 07:00 PM
New 7950th servo stripped??? Help! JimmyJam Electronics 9 03-22-2011 08:38 PM
Stripped servo arm AdverseCity Electronics 6 03-26-2008 06:42 PM
Stripped my servo horn... again... myke52081 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 17 10-03-2007 08:51 PM