Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Just Picked up a Bronco after 10 years off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2021, 06:41 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Just Picked up a Bronco after 10 years off

So I last logged in almost 10 years ago and at that time i was into the competition crawlers. This time i wanted scale so yeasterday i picked up a TRX4 Bronco over the SC10 iii i was considering. Trying to catch up on whats new and mods and such. They didnt have any Lipo in stock so here i am with 2 Nihm and some brass portal weights on the way because in the first day i rolled many times. Next looks to be battery relocation and maybe a Lipo later today. Gonna see where this one takes me. Suggestions on mods welcome. Cant wait to see what i can learn and do. And i know everyone loves pictures so ill try to post some later if i get out today with the rain.

Cole
JOMJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2021, 07:53 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Just Picked up a Bronco after 10 years off

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOMJ87 View Post
So I last logged in almost 10 years ago and at that time i was into the competition crawlers. This time i wanted scale so yeasterday i picked up a TRX4 Bronco over the SC10 iii i was considering. Trying to catch up on whats new and mods and such. They didnt have any Lipo in stock so here i am with 2 Nihm and some brass portal weights on the way because in the first day i rolled many times. Next looks to be battery relocation and maybe a Lipo later today. Gonna see where this one takes me. Suggestions on mods welcome. Cant wait to see what i can learn and do. And i know everyone loves pictures so ill try to post some later if i get out today with the rain.

Cole
Order a metal servo horn now, don't wait. The plastic servo horn will soon fail. The basic TRX metal one is as good as they get.

If you are used to a comp crawler you will notice your TRX is very top heavy. You can lighten it up or like you have already ordered add weight down low.

The electronics are a weak point. As it gets heavier you will soon see the servo sucks. Get a direct power servo. I really like my 3Bros G13 and Holmes V2. People also seem to like the Ref 777. BUT GO DIRECT POWER!!!!!

If you don't go direct power you will need a BEC to power the servo and a bypass so you do not over power the other electronics.

Your motor and ESC too may not be up to the task of a heavier RC. For inexpensive and brushed people like the 1080 ESC and there are various decent brushed motors for about $20 from Holmes Hobbies, the Sport line. There are better options for brushed but unless you are picky they will suit you well. I would spend the extra dollars and get an SW4 for brushed or non-sensored brushless. The SW4 will not work for sensored brushless.

For brushless I like the MambaX, it allows you to choose from a wide variety of motors, brushed, Brushless sensored and brushless non seonsored.

There are the one and done ESC motor combos from Axe and Fusion (I think that is what they are called). People seem to like them but they offer less programmability and you won't be able to change out to different motors with them.

The you have tires and rims but not sure what has changed (other than styles and names) with them over the last 10 years.

Last edited by MOguy; 05-03-2021 at 08:40 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:18 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Bowhouse also makes an lcg battery tray, it's an inexpensive upgrade over the stock one. Just get a battery strap with it. Definitely gonna need an upgraded servo. You got the brass weight down low covered lol that's gonna help a bunch.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
talltee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Order a metal servo horn now, don't wait. The plastic servo horn will soon fail. The basic TRX metal one is as good as they get.

If you are used to a comp crawler you will notice your TRX is very top heavy. You can lighten it up or like you have already ordered add weight down low.

The electronics are a weak point. As it gets heavier you will soon see the servo sucks. Get a direct power servo. I really like my 3Bros G13 and Holmes V2. People also seem to like the Ref 777. BUT GO DIRECT POWER!!!!!

If you don't go direct power you will need a BEC to power the servo and a bypass so you do not over power the other electronics.

Your motor and ESC too may not be up to the task of a heavier RC. For inexpensive and brushed people like the 1080 ESC and there are various decent brushed motors for about $20 from Holmes Hobbies, the Sport line. There are better options for brushed but unless you are picky they will suit you well. I would spend the extra dollars and get an SW4 for brushed or non-sensored brushless. The SW4 will not work for sensored brushless.

For brushless I like the MambaX, it allows you to choose from a wide variety of motors, brushed, Brushless sensored and brushless non seonsored.

There are the one and done ESC motor combos from Axe and Fusion (I think that is what they are called). People seem to like them but they offer less programmability and you won't be able to change out to different motors with them.

The you have tires and rims but not sure what has changed (other than styles and names) with them over the last 10 years.
Thanks for the details. Seems tires and Wheels havent changed much. Got to get back familiar with all the sites.

Looks like i also have a metal servo horn stock.

Motor and ESC will be watched but for now i will replace it as i break it. thinking of staying 2s to help with that.

Cole
Old 05-03-2021, 12:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Be prepared to break/buy a lot things. I had nothing but problems on my TRX4 Bronco. . And I babied it. I'd always stop when shifting gears or switching the diffs, then back up before going forward to engage it properly. But, a lot of people don't for whatever reason.

I hope you don't have the same experience as me, but I'd still baby it if I was you.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:27 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

As you add brass, you may want to go down to a 9T motor pinion. With the 2 speed you'll never miss the lower top speed but definitely appreciate the better low speed performance and modulation.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:36 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Be prepared to break/buy a lot things. I had nothing but problems on my TRX4 Bronco. . And I babied it. I'd always stop when shifting gears or switching the diffs, then back up before going forward to engage it properly. But, a lot of people don't for whatever reason.

I hope you don't have the same experience as me, but I'd still baby it if I was you.

Realistically your experience can be applied to all brands. Not just Traxxas.

Things do happen and sometimes poor quality gets through. The term Monday/Friday comes to mind.

I’ve had zero issues really. Stripped out stock lower panhard mount after servo upgrade. Not surprised.

Mine has had a lot of dead cat bounces falling onto rocks roof first from a couple if feet up. Scratched lexan is the worst of it.

I understand your frustration with your situation, I do , I get it. Actually I think we all do.

But the chirping at every chance you get to say traxxas is essentially trash and stay away, IMO is getting tired.

Worded differently like “this was my experience , take it for what it’s worth” would get you farther.

Just my .02.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Realistically your experience can be applied to all brands. Not just Traxxas.

Things do happen and sometimes poor quality gets through. The term Monday/Friday comes to mind.

I’ve had zero issues really. Stripped out stock lower panhard mount after servo upgrade. Not surprised.

Mine has had a lot of dead cat bounces falling onto rocks roof first from a couple if feet up. Scratched lexan is the worst of it.

I understand your frustration with your situation, I do , I get it. Actually I think we all do.

But the chirping at every chance you get to say traxxas is essentially trash and stay away, IMO is getting tired.

Worded differently like “this was my experience , take it for what it’s worth” would get you farther.

Just my .02.

Yes, I agree. It can happen to any brand.

I probably do say it too much, but for how many people here say it's essentially the most durable crawler I would expect it to be better. I based my TRX4 buy off this forum thinking it was the best of the best, when really it's the opposite. Compared to my 10.2 that is literally half the price(and apparently worse than the TRX4) it's way more enjoyable to drive and I'm not breaking stuff every run.

I'm just trying to help the people who are in my past situation where I was searching google and rccrawler kept coming up saying it was the most durable. That's it. Im not trying to be a nuisance, just trying to help all the new guys.

But maybe my TRX4 was just a lemon? I had that issue with my Ender 3, first was one a lemon, second one has been printing perfectly ever since. I don't know, but what I do know is I'm not going to be buying another TRX4 just to see if it was a lemon. IMO it seems most of my situations have played out the exact opposite than what people say. (i.e 10ii being plastic junk when it's my favorite truck)I bet you my TF2 will be the most durable

Just my opinion on it.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:07 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

For what it is worth, I've been running, or rather my 2 kids have been running my 2 TRX4s over the last 5 months. They have been using, abusing and put them to any test possible that could break something on the rigs. There were moments that I was pretty sure something must have broken after watching them perform something ''stupid'' with the cars. Honestly I can't think of anything I had to replace all this time because it was broken, except a shift servo.

I can't say much for other brands quality, because I never owned one, but if these rigs can take such abuse from 2 minor drivers, without any serious damage, then I would imagine that in the hands of a serious adult, they will be practically indestructible.
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Yes, I agree. It can happen to any brand.

I probably do say it too much, but for how many people here say it's essentially the most durable crawler I would expect it to be better. I based my TRX4 buy off this forum thinking it was the best of the best, when really it's the opposite. Compared to my 10.2 that is literally half the price(and apparently worse than the TRX4) it's way more enjoyable to drive and I'm not breaking stuff every run.

I'm just trying to help the people who are in my past situation where I was searching google and rccrawler kept coming up saying it was the most durable. That's it. Im not trying to be a nuisance, just trying to help all the new guys.

But maybe my TRX4 was just a lemon? I had that issue with my Ender 3, first was one a lemon, second one has been printing perfectly ever since. I don't know, but what I do know is I'm not going to be buying another TRX4 just to see if it was a lemon. IMO it seems most of my situations have played out the exact opposite than what people say. (i.e 10ii being plastic junk when it's my favorite truck)I bet you my TF2 will be the most durable

Just my opinion on it.

I know waht you are saying. I had issues with my Enduro (performance related) that I beat up for a while. I did finally find some smart people and did some research and learned how to fix the Enduro's flaw. My TRXs have been fine other than needing better electronics.

I also remember enjoying our conversation about the scale vs servo winch for scale points.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:07 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I know waht you are saying. I had issues with my Enduro (performance related) that I beat up for a while. I did finally find some smart people and did some research and learned how to fix the Enduro's flaw. My TRXs have been fine other than needing better electronics.

I also remember enjoying our conversation about the scale vs servo winch for scale points.
Oh yeah, that was a fun conversation
Old 05-06-2021, 08:17 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Welcome back. The bronco is a good choice. We got our boy a bronco a few years ago and he loves it. It's really rough on it and it's still pretty durable. Think the most he broke was a rear axle housing, we had to replace the motor and the steering servo stripped out. The stock electronics do the job. I think the worse piece would be the servo. I love the traxxas metal servo horn, it's been very good. I really love my trx4 build. It's probably one of my favorite trucks right now. Hoping to replace the esc and motor this summer. I think you'll really like the bronco. Happy upgrading to you.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

So I got a tad excited with this and jumped in with both feet. I grabbed me a Jeep MJ body even though it's not a great model it is plenty close enough for the nostalgia. This was my first vehicle as a 15 year old and my first Jeep I built for crawling. I regrettably sold it and this scale way is how I will get it back. I got BFG Krawler tires, Proline dual stage foams, Beadlocks, new servo, and a few other odds and ends to go with it. I'll try to throw some pics up.

I also got a redcat gen 7 pro for a deal for my daughter's to bash since they like mine so much.

Pics are the first time on the trails in the bronco and my 1:1 I will be duplicating.

Cole

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #14

Quote:

Want to upgrade to brushless... you think mamba x over hobbywing fusion or axe? Want to add some punch to my bronco... not wanting to bash or anything, but can get pretty boring going 5 mph from obstacle to obstacle.
50misson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:37 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50misson View Post
Want to upgrade to brushless... you think mamba x over hobbywing fusion or axe? Want to add some punch to my bronco... not wanting to bash or anything, but can get pretty boring going 5 mph from obstacle to obstacle.

If you can swing it, my .02 would be mamba x all day.

You’re not trapped by a proprietary sensor plug like the axe system.

You can use whatever motor you want with the mamba x. I’ll be on motor 4 here this summer with the same mamba x. 2 sensored brushless, unsensored outrunner, and brushed.

Cant do that with your other 2 choices.

Tuning the mamba x on the pc with the castle link can be daunting but Holmes Hobbies has step by step videos walking you through it making it super easy.

I’m absolutely spoiled by the mambas throttle curves.

So that’s my suggestion.

And while you’re at it, solder in a Jst plug to the battery connector in case you’re entertaining a direct powered servo. If not no biggee, if you do, you’re set.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
If you can swing it, my .02 would be mamba x all day.

You’re not trapped by a proprietary sensor plug like the axe system.

You can use whatever motor you want with the mamba x. I’ll be on motor 4 here this summer with the same mamba x. 2 sensored brushless, unsensored outrunner, and brushed.

Cant do that with your other 2 choices.

Tuning the mamba x on the pc with the castle link can be daunting but Holmes Hobbies has step by step videos walking you through it making it super easy.

I’m absolutely spoiled by the mambas throttle curves.

So that’s my suggestion.

And while you’re at it, solder in a Jst plug to the battery connector in case you’re entertaining a direct powered servo. If not no biggee, if you do, you’re set.
Cool. What motor do you suggest?
50misson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:06 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Cool. What motor do you suggest?

I’m currently running a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 2700 and am happy with it.

All I do is crawl so my sport is geared 9/45.

Great low speed control and with 3s also I have some pop if needed.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:18 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
NO QUESTION, MAMBA X. With the Mamba X there is allot more programming you can do. You can set it so you can turn on and off your drag brake.

With the Mamba X you can change motors. Today you can run a brushless sensored 4800, a minute later you could than to a 2800 then to a brushed motor of your choosing and them to a brushless non sensored such as a Revolver and use the same ESC. And the Mamba X will handle up to 6s.

You can't do that with an Axe of Fusion.

Castle now has a new ESC (Copperhead I believe). I believe it will run all the motors but you can not turn on and off your drag brake and I am not sure what batteries it can handle.

As far as motor, I like revovlers and nice brushed motors. I also have a Tenkin rock 412 (sensorless brushless) I like.

I have a 3800 Holmes Hobby Trail pro that didn't do well at slow crawling speeds but kicked ass for moving out.

Last edited by MOguy; 05-12-2021 at 08:21 AM.

Just Picked up a Bronco after 10 years off - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
25 Years Ago Today: The Juice Was On The Loose In A White Ford Bronco STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 5 06-21-2019 04:41 PM
Just picked this up... 1tonblazer Tamiya Bruiser 10 01-03-2018 02:41 AM
Just picked up.... pastorjosh Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 05-07-2015 03:19 PM
Picked one up.... paintballer9876 XTM Crawler 25 03-28-2010 10:30 PM
Picked up a CR-01! lt. Tamiya CR-01 2 08-18-2009 07:07 AM