Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Long travel for 60 bucks. Prepare to read.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2020, 05:01 AM   #1

Default Long travel for 60 bucks. Prepare to read.

All I bought was the servo drop and 110mm desert lizard shocks. There are a couple main limit issues with getting more travel if you already have longer shocks. Just be aware that the front is the main issue.

1. Drive shaft angle limit(free)
2. Steering servo link limit. (Around 9 bucks)
3. Shocks (around 50 bucks for Desert Lizard 110)

The first I tackled was the front upper link. All I did was unscrew the upper link until I saw the first thread. In my profesional opinion this wont affect the strength, I machine for a living. This fixes the drivshaft angle limit.

There is a caveat to doing this. Your servo could be stressed more if not done right. You want that limit there if you have a weak servo. Traxxas L.T. kit won't help you here at all. The upper link on the LT KIT is 5mm longer but the bottom links are also longer, that will help limit your shaft limit thus help your servo. (DL shocks can limit too)

The next was the servo link limit. I first planned on heating the plastic baljoints to bend them more. Until I saw the price of a servo drop. This completely fixes the servo link limit, to an extent. *In the pictures you can see that even with the servo drop at full tilt, passenger full decompression, the servo link limits it slightly.

As far as the shocks go. The very first thing I purchased were 110mm desert lizard shocks. These shocks are NOT 110mm at full extension, they're 120. The awesome feature to these is that they come with internal springs that you can tailor to have stiffer decompression. I did put the stiffest small springs for decompression in the fronts. The compression springs have done the best with the lightest springs in all 4.* I will be swapping the rear decomp springs for the stiff ones.

Rear is easy just add longer shocks. Tune as needed.

Thats what I did to get a TON more travel with the trx4 on a budget. You don't need to buy the 180 dollar kit from traxxas, its overpriced. These reviewers can't say that cause they get money/gifts for their reviews.

If you can add a servo horn that has an inside hole. This will give you more leverage, and less stress on the servo.

I'll post pictures as soon as i can but I'm tired, I gotta go to bed. If I have any edits to this ill do my best to label them. Theyre labeled with a *

Last edited by CNCist; 05-02-2020 at 11:05 PM.
CNCist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Long travel for 60 bucks. Prepare to read.

So are you doing this with the stock shock towers? So the maximum up-travel is lower but you gained a lot of downtravel?

I ran 120mm rear shocks and 110mm in the front With 10mm taller shock towers. My biggest issue was getting the chassis to settle at the stock ride height with that long of a shock. It was just too much length to take up before the springs ramped up.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #3

It does raise the truck just like the traxxas kit will, and yes these are the stock shock towersNow the higher belly is going to do better over obstacles, so it is a trade off. Simply running longer shocks will yield you better travel.

I ran ecopower wp120 then a 110, the breakage was due to me rolling off a hill into bricks. My obstacles are leftover cinder blocks from the yard. Now I don't think any long travel mods will be for everybody. My obstacles call for a lot of downtravel.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2020, 10:03 PM   #4

This is the little obstacle I have at the moment. This little area will turn into a creek in the near future, with the sides dry enough to crawl on.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2021, 12:19 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

any updates on how this setup has worked out? i am not a machinest so i will be looking for a longer upper link as i just got the 110mm shocks with Team raffee shock towers giving me 9 tuning spots for the shock to mount front and rear. and the top row is roughly 10mm taller than a stock shock tower by the old eye ball mesuring system.
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:11 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Default Long travel for 60 bucks. Prepare to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCist View Post
It does raise the truck just like the traxxas kit will, and yes these are the stock shock towersNow the higher belly is going to do better over obstacles, so it is a trade off. Simply running longer shocks will yield you better travel.

I ran ecopower wp120 then a 110, the breakage was due to me rolling off a hill into bricks. My obstacles are leftover cinder blocks from the yard. Now I don't think any long travel mods will be for everybody. My obstacles call for a lot of downtravel.

Nice setup.

I put the 110 desert lizards last summer But not the servo drop.

One big thing I did was also get a full set of spare springs for the 4 shocks. If I’m thinking correctly, I’m running small softs in each shock.

It sits at stock ride height. I have pretty much zero up travel but all the drop. The desert lizard just sitting there is the same length as the stock traxxas shock.

I’ve been running 15 weight oil all around. Rig articulates and settles pretty good.

My biggest issue has been climbing uphill and the front end just unloading, raising all the way up and having front driveline bind.

I don’t know if the servo drop would help with this.

One area it doesn’t do as well in compared to how I had it with the stock shocks and 3/4” lower ride height is crazy transitions going up. Lowered, it would nail those zero issue. With the long travel and stock ride height, it flops a lot.

Going across rocks, etc it is awesome. Here’s a vid from last fall. At 41 sec or so you can see the front wheel just drop all the way out until it contacts.

https://youtu.be/T4DJmwIgPCQ

It’s a lot of tinkering for sure. Keep posting your results.

ETA -

I’ve been impressed with the desert lizard quality. I’ve had my shocks apart close to 20 times with all on my tinkering. I’ve had zero issues with leaking/weeping. None.

I’m running 3 hole pistons but I’ll be changing that to the 4. I didn’t realize the stock traxxas shocks were 4 hole. I’ll see if that’d make any difference.

Highly highly highly recommend the dynamite E Clip tool. No way I could of torn these apart so Many times without losing an e clip without the tool.

Also, get a lot of spare e clips.

ETA 2 -

This is one of my posts from the What did you do to your Trx4 today” thread.

I documented my long travel adventures pretty good.

You can see how I have the desert lizards the same length as the stock shocks.

What did you do to your TRX-4 today?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Last edited by Benp; 05-11-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote

Long travel for 60 bucks. Prepare to read. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long Travel Buildup mass-hole Traxxas TRX-4 57 04-14-2021 05:49 AM
long travel shock's Cork 2.2 Scale Rigs 6 09-21-2014 05:57 PM
Long travel shocks f/r? xLPlushy Axial Wraith 21 05-27-2012 01:33 PM
long travel shocks xiteamxi General Crawlers 21 11-04-2011 01:27 PM
anyone with long travel 10 scale chromoly77 Non Crawler RC's 0 10-05-2010 12:15 PM