Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: help me choose a esc and motor combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #1

Default help me choose a esc and motor combo

Hi there,

Im wanting to get back into the crawler scene and purchase a trx4 kit, I am not fimilar with matching motors with escs however I would like to run 3s lipo or even 2s lipo what ever is better .

Just need something smooth and that is waterproof and gets the job done.

thanks i really am considering the trx4 sport kit over a scx10 2 what do you think thanks have a great day!
ReMiXeDg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2020, 06:34 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: help me choose a esc and motor combo

It would help if you could provide a bit more information. For example, are you a slow technical crawler or more of a speed basher? Do you want a brushed or brushless system? What is your budget? Do you want a package deal or are you capable of picking ESC and motor independently?

That said, I am a slow technical crawler so smooth and slow is what I prefer. For a budget price of $62 I recommend the Hobbywing WP 1080 and Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 550 12T. If your budget is bigger you can go with a Castle Mamba X and Holmes Hobbies 2200KV motor If you have the TRX4 with two speed transmission I would recomend running a 9t pinion.

Last edited by Inspector86; 05-12-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:45 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
It would help if you could provide a bit more information. For example, are you a slow technical crawler or more of a speed basher? Do you want a brushed or brushless system? What is your budget? Do you want a package deal or are you capable of picking ESC and motor independently?
Yup. All of our suggestions will be generalized without some context as to what you want out of your rig and your budget.

With that, the Gucci set up, that will more or less fill any need you have with your rig is the Mamba-X with a 1800kv sensored motor running on 3S.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Esc bec needs to be set to 6v or less on traxxas recievers.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:12 PM   #5

Curious what you ended up with here... I’m running the stock XL-5 HV with a Reedy Radon 16t and looking to get a backup motor.
JNM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:12 PM   #6

Curious what you ended up with here... I’m running the stock XL-5 HV with a Reedy Radon 16t and looking to get a backup motor.
JNM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:28 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Yup. All of our suggestions will be generalized without some context as to what you want out of your rig and your budget.

With that, the Gucci set up, that will more or less fill any need you have with your rig is the Mamba-X with a 1800kv sensored motor running on 3S.

“Gucci setup.” I laughed.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:15 PM   #8

I run brushless in all of my stuff besides my como crawler. I really like the mamba x esc and the new castle sensored motors
size does matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:13 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMiXeDg View Post
Hi there,

Im wanting to get back into the crawler scene and purchase a trx4 kit, I am not fimilar with matching motors with escs however I would like to run 3s lipo or even 2s lipo what ever is better .

Just need something smooth and that is waterproof and gets the job done.

thanks i really am considering the trx4 sport kit over a scx10 2 what do you think thanks have a great day!
Seems Mamba X may be your choice for an ESC. I run one with a 3300kv bushed censored Holmes Hobby Motor and it is smooth. But as far as crawling and torque it does not even compare to my other rigs I comp with that have 1400KV Holmes Revolvers and an SWR4 ESC but for water proof I don't think revolvers are the best answer.

You will want 3s, more power works for torque as well as speed. You will want a good servo.

I have two TRX4 I comp with. I have the selectable lockers and 2 speed trans in both. I could do with out the 2 speed but I do use the lockers (opening and closing) to help with maneuverability. Were I comp if you use more than one servo it puts you in another class. My TRXs still have the stock chassis and do well.

For my two channel I use an Axialii based (basically just the axials) comp rig with a corrupt carbon chassis. it has a very tight turning radius.

The down side to the TRX 4 is it is not as maneuverable as the Axial based build. The one piece ar44 have an incredible tuning radius. Those axles and some over drive make it so you have an incredible tight tuning radius. The down side to those axles is they are much weaker than the Traxxas ones.

If you are looking to build I don't think there is an answer to what is best, it is what works for you.

BUT

If you are looking for out of the box I really don't think you can find anything better than a TRX4.

Last edited by MOguy; 09-29-2020 at 06:41 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote

help me choose a esc and motor combo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Castle Creations Motor/ESC combo should I choose? dbuus Vaterra Twin Hammers 3 11-22-2018 06:45 AM
help me choose motor/esc socal gto Newbie General 15 06-17-2018 10:13 AM
What motor/ESC to choose? gottacrawl2 Newbie General 7 02-07-2008 02:21 PM