RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   Shock oil weight/foams (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/618658-shock-oil-weight-foams.html)

mr_alister 05-30-2020 09:09 AM

Shock oil weight/foams

Hey guys. So rc-review on YouTube say i should be using lighter than stock oil (so maybe 20w?) but i just watched the harley designs vid where he went heavier up to 60 front and 80 rear. Is this a personal preference thing or is there a recognized standard setup i should use. This is for use in my sport kit, and i do a bit of everything as far as trailing/crawling. On top of that, is it a good idea to have stiffer foams and oil in the rear?

Thanks in advance.

dr frankenstyle 05-30-2020 11:23 AM

Re: Shock oil weight/foams

It's largely a preference thing. :) Like all set-ups, it's a give and take. Depending on how and where you drive, firmer or softer works better. My rig is runnin' 10-wt oil and soft springs. I spend most of my time crawlin' on rocks, not much trail drivin', so that set-up works for me. I run the shock caps slightly loosened too (with teflon thread tape to keep them in place), so the suspension is nice and loose. It's a little wobbly at higher speeds, but it doesn't see much speed. :lol: I'm also using CI's Li'l Nova foams, and LOVE 'em. The reason some recommend firmer rear stuff is to help when the weight shifts while climbing. I use the same foams in both ends so it's easier to rotate my tires. ;-)
Just 2-cents worth. :D

8) jim

mr_alister 05-30-2020 12:32 PM

How often do you rotate tires? I didnt even realise that's a thing in rc [emoji23]

Dirt Runner 05-30-2020 01:37 PM

I use 50-60 at in mine due to a little weight. The thicker oil also slows down the shifting of the rig as well.

It is a preference though. With the foams it also depends on weight and what you're trying to achieve. Also the weight of the rig ther cog of the rig as well plays into the foams and suspension.

Finding the balance that works for the rig and for you is the key.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mr_alister 05-30-2020 01:40 PM

As a general rule, lighter oil for crawling and heavier for trailing?

Dirt Runner 05-30-2020 01:51 PM

It's also weather dependent. If you're out in hot weather the oil thins or thicken in cold. I know some that like the lighter weight and some that use diff fluid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mud bogger 05-30-2020 03:15 PM

For me 80wt and softer springs has been great.

dr frankenstyle 05-30-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_alister (Post 6026065)
How often do you rotate tires? I didnt even realise that's a thing in rc [emoji23]

:lol: When the edges of the lugs get rounded, then I'll swap sides to get the tread edges going the other way. :roll: I run the BFG Krawlers, so they're not "directional". ;-)

8) jim

mr_alister 05-30-2020 04:04 PM

Heh, ok thanks gentlemen!