Notices

Thread: Steering Horn Issue and Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2020, 08:19 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Steering Horn Issue and Question

i just upgraded my steering servo to this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
it came with a metal servo horn with two holes for the drag link (estimated 20mm and 24mm c2c). i needed to adjust the end points because the servo horn contacts the frame rails. driving it yesterday, i discovered the turning radius has increased from the stock setup. I was wondering if the metal Traxxas horn would be a good solution or is another option preferred (Samix, SSD, etc)

i plan on clearancing the metal horn i have to have a spare, but i would like to return to 22mm c2c. i may also just use the stock plastic horn while i wait for the new horn.
splyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2020, 10:11 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Steering Horn Issue and Question

You could always just grind the end off the horn you're using so it stops interfering. Then you could reset your endpoints back to normal.
mr_alister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

It is the top of the horn that contacts the bottom of the frame rail (and also touches the panhard bar mount). I will clearance the horn but i still wouldnt have the proper c2c distance that i am looking for.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:59 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The Traxxas horn has a 25t spline if I recall. The servo you linked to I did not see what spline it uses. Many of us use the Savox 1230SG which is rated at 500oz in at 6v making it compatible voltage wise with the TRX4 electronics. I have never felt the need to use the Traxxas horn I just used the horn that was supplied with my 1230SG in the short c2c hole.

https://www.amazon.com/Savox-SC-1258...688546&sr=8-11

Last edited by Inspector86; 05-28-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:12 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

the servo i linked to is a 25t. I think the raised nub on the horn (for ensuring enough threads make contact between horn and track bar screw) is on the opposite side as the stock Traxxas one causing the contact. ill take a closer look tonight and post and update.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:22 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

after taking a closer look and comparing the horns, the traxxas has a "rise" of approx 3mm vs the metal horn that came with my servo. when the servo is mounted in the rig, this "rise" becomes a "drop" and easily clears the frame rail. additionally, the traxxas horn is shorter which allows it to clear the panhard bar mount. So i mounted the stock plastic horn on the new servo while i wait for the traxxas metal horn to arrive and have no clearance issues.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:17 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

so the stock plastic horn lasted 10 min in my crawler log pile before it stripped. switched back to the ill fitting metal horn that came with my servo as a quick fix and only used the pinch screws to keep the horn on the servo. the horn came off the servo with in 15 min so i remounted it with the horn screw. with a little end point adjustment, the steering is acceptable. still waiting for the traxxas metal horn that will hopefully put an end to all the failures (with the parts and my misguided installations).
Old 06-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #8

Buy Traxxas's metal horn, it's ~$7 and is 25 spline, problem solved I ran into the same issue with the first cheap servo I had that came with a metal horn.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehawk View Post
Buy Traxxas's metal horn, it's ~$7 and is 25 spline, problem solved I ran into the same issue with the first cheap servo I had that came with a metal horn.

When I bought my TRX4 I had several of the metal horns that I normally keep on hand. I had read where the TRX4 horn had some bends in it to clear suspension parts. So I ordered the Traxxas horn for the TRX4 works great & I have a plastic one as a backup if ever needed.

So like Icehawk and others have said just get the Traxxas horn and your problems are solved.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Steering Horn Issue and Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
some steering issues viorel.spinu Vaterra Ascender 10 07-11-2016 10:08 AM
Steering issues merin_83 Axial Wraith 13 08-07-2013 06:30 PM
steering issues 99xjlove Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 01-11-2013 04:45 PM
steering issues wolfkings General Crawlers 3 03-05-2007 12:20 PM