RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   Thicc Diff Grease? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/618767-thicc-diff-grease.html)

MachtSchnell 06-03-2020 10:00 PM

Thicc Diff Grease?

Just got a TRX-6

Open diff's are exactly that, wide open...

Anyone put super tacky thick grease in their diffs?

I know it's kinda moot with the selectable lockers, but it would be nice no to have to flip the switch over on easy terrain.

I know they're not "sealed" but 1m fluid is like fudge and not going to sleep out

niggemannb 06-04-2020 05:29 AM

Re: Thicc Diff Grease?

Don't do it. Tried it on my TRX4, pretty much negated having a diff. I recommend leaving it as is.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MachtSchnell 06-04-2020 12:10 PM

As in too much like being locked? I have oil weights 100k, 200k, 500k, and 1m. Have 500k in to front and modded rear of my Twin Hammers and they act more like limited slip.

niggemannb 06-04-2020 08:28 PM

Yeah, it is too much like being locked. The entire point of locking diffs is to leave them unlocked so you can corner easily. If you nearly lock up the diff with 1M weight oil, you negate the benefits of that. I would think it would be even more important when you have 2 rear axles.

Also, I find that I need to leave them unlocked when I'm in high gear, otherwise it wants to roll over at higher speeds.

Typically when I'm crawling, I leave the diffs locked, and only unlock if I have a tight corner.

Inspector86 06-04-2020 09:20 PM

That's a new one. Too lazy to flip the diff switch, wow.

MachtSchnell 06-06-2020 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector86 (Post 6027167)
That's a new one. Too lazy to flip the diff switch, wow.

:lmao:

Think it would benefit from something in there, rather than basically dry... And since they're still unlockable, turning radius would probably be marginally effected. Thought it would be neat to have the pro's of a LSD with lockability, while still being able to turn :shrug:

Could probably do 100k in the rears and 200k up front. Like mentioned, even 500k is open enough to still turn.

mass-hole 06-06-2020 12:35 PM

Thicc Diff Grease?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachtSchnell (Post 6027443)
:lmao:

Think it would benefit from something in there, rather than basically dry... And since they're still unlockable, turning radius would probably be marginally effected. Thought it would be neat to have the pro's of a LSD with lockability, while still being able to turn :shrug:

Could probably do 100k in the rears and 200k up front. Like mentioned, even 500k is open enough to still turn.

I always wanted a 1:1 diff like this. I know the Ram Powerwagons have a rear helical LSD that can be locked as well.

Would def be worth a try. Unfortunately, i have a Sport with spooled diffs so not really an option for me.

bexline 06-06-2020 04:03 PM

So what do you guys use on your portal ring and pinion? I just put a thin layer of marine grease.

Gramps 06-07-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bexline (Post 6027478)
So what do you guys use on your portal ring and pinion? I just put a thin layer of marine grease.

I used Lucas Red & Sticky throughout my Chassis Kit build

debrent 06-08-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gramps (Post 6027603)

Same here, but didn't pack it in or anything. Seems to work fine so far. I did make the initial mistake of applying too much in the first portal I built. I ended up taking some of it out but not all of it - just left a light coating on the gears. With the big gob I initially had, it made the portals feel very "stiff".

niggemannb 06-08-2020 02:58 PM

I use the Dynamite brand Marine Grease. I apply it with a cheap kids paint brush in a light to moderate coating. I have been doing this for a few years now and am happy with how it holds up considering that I drive in snow and water fairly often.

Inspector86 06-08-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gramps (Post 6027603)

It's actually Lucas Red N Tacky but yeah I use it too.