Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Brushless system

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2021, 05:57 PM   #1

Default Brushless system

Want more punch in my bronco. Nothing insane, just enough to be engaging from obstacle to obstacle, and occasionally chasing the dog around the yard.

Hear great things about the hobbywing axe, but have never soldered before... thoughts?
50misson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2021, 05:59 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Brushless system

Fusion 2 in 1. No soldering needed. Comes equipped with xt 60 I believe battery plugs.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
JOMJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOMJ87 View Post
Fusion 2 in 1. No soldering needed. Comes equipped with xt 60 I believe battery plugs.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Does the fusion have the same punch as the axe?
Old 05-11-2021, 10:49 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've never tried the fusion myself, but I can definitely recommend the Axe. I run an Axe R2 on my -portal axle TRX4 and I feel like it has plenty of power to go fast if I want to while still being slow and controllable when I don't. I suck at soldering so I just cheated and used some easy solder connectors. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0EZBYQ...p_mob_ap_share.

It should be more tame than my TRX if you still have portals, while still having "punch" on tap when you need it.

The Bluetooth connectivity is handy and allows you to adjust (with a cell phone and app) some of the basic functionally of the ESC. It's no where near the level of customizability as a Castle or Holmes Hobbies ESC and Castle link though. Not even on the same level as Traxxas link.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:20 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50misson View Post
Want more punch in my bronco. Nothing insane, just enough to be engaging from obstacle to obstacle, and occasionally chasing the dog around the yard.

Hear great things about the hobbywing axe, but have never soldered before... thoughts?

I replied to your same question in the Bronco thread.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:35 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

A couple of months back I had the same dillemma about the Fusion or the Axe systems for my TRX4. I decided to go with Axe R2 2800kv, mainly because you can swap engines if needed, using the same ESC. It only works with the Axe engines, because of the FOC system, but you can still swap between lower and higher kv engines.

The Fusion is a fixed system. It's plug n play, so soldering etc but you are stuck with the same ESC-Motor combo.

I'm terrible at soldering, but with a little practise and watching some Youtube videos, I managed to do all the required soldering. Even soldered some JST cables for the lights on it. It's easier than it seems at first.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I'm very pleased with the Axe system. Super smooth low speed control and still has the power to go pretty fast on high gear if i feel like bashing around.
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
A couple of months back I had the same dillemma about the Fusion or the Axe systems for my TRX4. I decided to go with Axe R2 2800kv, mainly because you can swap engines if needed, using the same ESC. It only works with the Axe engines, because of the FOC system, but you can still swap between lower and higher kv engines.

The Fusion is a fixed system. It's plug n play, so soldering etc but you are stuck with the same ESC-Motor combo.

I'm terrible at soldering, but with a little practise and watching some Youtube videos, I managed to do all the required soldering. Even soldered some JST cables for the lights on it. It's easier than it seems at first.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I'm very pleased with the Axe system. Super smooth low speed control and still has the power to go pretty fast on high gear if i feel like bashing around.
Cool. Looks like they only have the 3300 in stock. Is that over kill?
Old 05-12-2021, 07:08 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The 3300 comes with the 550 motor. I have the 2800 with the 540L motor which is the same size as the stock Titan motor. I imagine the 3300 would be much more powerfull and can deliver more speed than the 2800.

I run it with 9t pinion gear and can still deliver good speed. The 3300 even if geared as low as 9t would be super fast for a crawler and because of the portals there will be a lot of rolling over in high speeds. But a lot of people seems to like it, so I guess it's a matter of preference.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:35 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I've never tried a HW Axe system but I do have a Fusion 1800 kv system in one of my rigs and absolutely love it. Plenty of punch when I need it and amazing low speed torque and control. One of the side benefits of the Fusion system is the super clean setup inside the rig since the ESC is built into the motor.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:06 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The Fusion is a great combo if you have a hard body with interior.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:47 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The Fusion is a great combo if you have a hard body with interior.
I quite like the Axe R2 in my TRX but I've been thinking about installing a fusion in my hard body Trail King for that exact reason. And just to go brushless like the rest of my rigs.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:32 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

https://www.hobbytown.com/castle-cre...66-07/p1308925

I ran across this setup to be coming soon and i am very interested. This will likely be what i go with unless i get excited and cant wait for brushless.

Cole
JOMJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:15 PM   #13

Quote:

Btw with the all in one Fusion, can you still somehow use accessories that want to interface with the esc? Like back up lights or engine sound boxes? Incompatible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OThatsRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OThatsRich View Post
Btw with the all in one Fusion, can you still somehow use accessories that want to interface with the esc? Like back up lights or engine sound boxes? Incompatible?

You can still use all of that, those accessories hook up to the receiver and not the ESC
Snemeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:50 PM   #15

Just put the fusion in my blazer. I love it!!! Upped to a 13t this thing has crazy low speed control and power. With the 11t it was a tad slower than the stock 21t titan. 13t seems on par and I'm gona try a 14t next week. Oh, it has to much punch it does stoppies and reverse wheelies easy if ya want. Kinda funny

DPesonen is offline   Reply With Quote