Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: c0bra turns a trx4 into a hard body monster truck!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2020, 09:10 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default c0bra turns a trx4 into a hard body monster truck!

Like the tittle says I picked up used (but still new) trx4 chassis kit, yes it’s that one from YouTube fame thanks to Harley designs and the scale builders guild.

Anyways the plan is to mount a tf2 lwb rtr body to the trx4 and turn it into a monster truck! Now this will be my second trx4 monster, no there isn’t a build thread for the other one (bronco with axle upgrades and 1 rtr servo left). Anyways this one is going to be somewhat similar but also still different.

First things first were to get rid of the fender wells as they created a clearance nightmare and mount sport shock towers all around. I will try to switch the front back to the fenders, but the rear is staying the way it is. I also removed he stock sliders and mounts in order to get the holes cut in the bed

Then after attacking it with a Milwaukee rotary tool and a razor knife to clean up the edges a bit

The edges aren’t the cleanest and it could’ve been a little smaller but oh well it’s a monster truck anyways so it’s going to get scratched up.

Next step was to mount the sliders back on with out the extensions and radio box. I’m not going to use the radio box as nothing I have is waterproof. Then I attacked them with the same rotary tool to trim the sliders back and then drilled the slider extension holes all the way through and trimmed the sliders down flat. I also cut a notch in the front to clear the body mounts. Only pic I have is before trimming the the slider flat. Then I removed the shift servo (going brushless on 3s)

Then after designing and printing my own body mounts which took way too long, got half way through and had to restart due to the printer not having anything coming out. Anyways 5 hours into a 3 hour print and the mounts were finally done. I do need to make a v2 as the spacing between holes is a bit off. Then some screws later and magic finally happened

Well maybe not magic but who cares. Next steps are to order the axle upgrades if going to be using, basically replacing the plastic with aluminum, and will be getting a locker for the rear. Once all of the parts are in as well as the servo, I’ll rip the truck completely apart and put it back together with a new chassis (already have) and the long arm kit (also have). I’ll also make sure the screws are the correct size, so far the work I’ve done I didn’t really care how long the screws were since the plan was to just do a mock up first anyways.

Anyways I’ll probably be picking up a savox 2290 and a mamba x esc. I already have a pro4hd and a roc412hd, both around 3000kv, sitting around begging to be used. Kinda leaning towards the pro4 for this. Also will be getting a receiver for my mt44 and a powershift light kit.

Wheels and tires are up in the air, maybe 2.2 pitbulls or smt10 wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: c0bra turns a trx4 into a hard body monster truck!

Once I put trx4 sport wheels and tires on the truck that the tires rubbed the back of the wheel arches really bad, so I made an adjustment on the mounts and then they rubbed the front of the arches. Finally on the third version of the mounts they are just about perfect!

Then I realized that with cutting off so much of the stock sliders, there isn’t really a heck of a lot of room to mount electronics so I made a small printed plate that attaches to were the xl5 esc is meant to

Print didn’t turn out perfect but it’s good enough for what I need. Next on the list is to rebuild the chassis how it should be as its currently thrown together and get rid of that 2 speed. Wile doing so I’ll put on the lift kit with some wraith 2.2 wheels I have sitting around. They won’t stay but they will work for now.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I went through the truck and rebuilt the chassis correctly with new uncut rails and installed the long arm kit. Instead of going with the included shock oil I opted for 50wt instead to have a fairly stiff suspension.

Unfortunately I can’t find 4 spare 2.2 wheels and tires and I don’t want to steal the ones off the bomber or bronco just yet.

Next is to wait for a bunch of axle upgrades to come in from locked up and put everything in and test that the front locker still functions

Old 06-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

really cool
83trekker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:02 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I got all of the axle upgrades, just need to find time to put them all on.

c0bra turns a trx4 into a hard body monster truck! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lifter TRX4 Monster truck edsasso Traxxas TRX-4 0 12-23-2019 05:27 AM
c0bra’s trx4 bronco build c0bra Traxxas TRX-4 6 03-28-2019 08:46 AM
TRX4 Hummer H1 Hard Body 7ShadesBlack Videos! 0 07-07-2018 09:23 PM