Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: My very first RC build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #1

Default My very first RC build...

Well... not counting airplanes back in the 90s...

Anyway, my first foray into building up an RC car kit was the Traxxas TRX4 Chassis Kit. This was the standard TRX4 kit, not the sport version. I already had 2 TRX4s that I had purchased RTR, the Bronco and the Defender, and I really wanted the '79 K5 Bazer also. Instead of buying another RTR, I decided to build this one in order to gain a deeper understanding of the truck and how it was engineered. So even though it was more expensive to do so, I bought the chassis kit and the Blazer body and wheels separately.

The only upgraded components I included were the Traxxas 400oz servo and the complete lighting kit which I was able to incorporate into the build without too much trouble. The instructions for this kit are amazing and I only noticed a couple of typos which were not show stoppers.

The only "gotcha" I had was not realizing that the Bronco and Blazer need the extended length stub axles in order to thread on the decorative center hubs after you attach the wheels. So I had to swap those out after the fact.

This being my first kit, I REALLY took my time with it. I logged each session I spent working on it and when it was finally complete, my total build time was 31 hours, 7 minutes! I've seen builds on YouTube take 4-6 hrs so I know I was probably slower than most you out there who have built this rig. Note that that time included installing the light kit, the BEC for the beefed up servo and all it's extra wiring as well as re-building the portal axles... twice! (the first time was because I put too much grease in them, the second time to swap the axles).

I don't have anything to compare this to, but I REALLY enjoyed building this kit. There were ZERO fit issues. Everything went together perfectly. I had exactly 1 minor quality control issue. One of the 4x15 screw pins in the bumper assembly did not get machined properly and could not be used. Traxxas sent me a whole bag of replacements in less than a week so I have no complaints there. The truck runs great and looks EXACTLY like the RTR version (because it's basically identical) and with the light kit, it's now my best looking model.

My next build, which I'm in the process of collecting the parts for, is going to be the Axial SCX10 III Jeep Wrangler. It looks a little more advanced since you have to source your own electronics and I will also be using a 3rd party light kit. I will post that build in the Axial forum when I start.

Last edited by debrent; 06-07-2020 at 02:23 PM.
debrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2020, 11:51 AM   #2

Default My very first RC build...

Congrats! You started with a great truck. You won’t find an easier or higher quality build than the TRX-4.

If you built the complete TRX-4 you should be fine with the SCX10 III. It’s not necessarily more complex, but you may run into minor issues not seen on the TRX-4. Obviously if you have any questions, the members on this site are a great resource should you need them.

I can’t see your photos. Google Photos are consistently a bad source for sharing photos on this site. I recommend signing up for Imgur which is free. I have a guide elsewhere on this site.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:14 PM   #3

Default Re: My very first RC build...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I can’t see your photos. Google Photos are consistently a bad source for sharing photos on this site. I recommend signing up for Imgur which is free. I have a guide elsewhere on this site.
Actually, I decided to go ahead and support the site.

Hopefully the images are showing up now!

Last edited by debrent; 06-07-2020 at 12:26 PM.
debrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:46 PM   #4
RCC Addict

And another one succumbs to the RC addition! But seriously, nice work. Building it yourself makes it special!
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrent View Post
Actually, I decided to go ahead and support the site.

Hopefully the images are showing up now!

That’ll work too! “thumbsup”

Post a build thread of your SCX10 III!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:29 PM   #6

Looks good! The kit is definitely a fun experience.
TheseusOfTroezen is offline   Reply With Quote

My very first RC build... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JackedDriver's R1 Build (non-specific purpose / just wanted a good build) JackedDriver G-Made Crawlers 12 01-12-2016 07:59 PM
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM