Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Top Heavy TRX4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #1

Default Top Heavy TRX4

I know it is a common problem with the Trx4 Land Rover, being top heavy. But is there a solution to stop it being so?

Would be much appreciated for advice, as sick of the ‘walk of shame’ to turn it the right way up!
RCMattXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Top Heavy TRX4

Lightening the weight on top- I removed my cargo rack altogether as well as the spare tire/ carrier out back. That helped.

Adding weight down low... as low as possible- low COG battery tray, steel or brass portal covers, c-hubs, etc..

Widen the track width- You might try a wider offset wheel hex. That can help ( a bit) to keep the vehicle a little more stable while side-hilling.

Tire foam- A softer foam may help depending on trail conditions, terrain, etc.

Springs- In conjunction with the "right" foams, a firmer or softer spring may help with weight distribution.

The one thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to add TOO much weight. There's a good balance somewhere with your rig... top to bottom/ front to back.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMattXC View Post
I know it is a common problem with the Trx4 Land Rover, being top heavy. But is there a solution to stop it being so?

Would be much appreciated for advice, as sick of the ‘walk of shame’ to turn it the right way up!
No right answer just trade offs.

If you don't want to be top heavy get a lexan body. If you want to keep the Defender get a dermal. Even then it will be top heavy.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

It's a trade off but I think I would start by getting some steel bead lock wheels to add some low weight that isn't sprung. The next thing I would try would be brass portal covers.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I've done brass portal covers front and rear, brass portal knuckles front, steel wheels, stiffer foams, better tires and the Bowhouse lower CG battery tray. Can't believe the difference it all made. All the brass stuff I got was was from Benedict Harry on Amazon. It all went together very well. Only had to use the Dremel drum on one part to open up the bearing area to make it a little easier to get it out down the road. Overall very happy and the cost was substantially lower than the brand name brass. Oh, I also went to a 9T motor pinion gear since I added the weight.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
I've done brass portal covers front and rear, brass portal knuckles front, steel wheels, stiffer foams, better tires and the Bowhouse lower CG battery tray. Can't believe the difference it all made. All the brass stuff I got was was from Benedict Harry on Amazon. It all went together very well. Only had to use the Dremel drum on one part to open up the bearing area to make it a little easier to get it out down the road. Overall very happy and the cost was substantially lower than the brand name brass. Oh, I also went to a 9T motor pinion gear since I added the weight.
Tradeoffs:

That way above you keep the TRX4 body. I went the opposite route. I weigh less than 8lbs but I don't have the looks a Defender has.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Tradeoffs:

That way above you keep the TRX4 body. I went the opposite route. I weigh less than 8lbs but I don't have the looks a Defender has.

Precisely.... Under eight pounds I am not.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:21 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

The defender body is really heavy. Removing the rear tire and roof racks/accessories will help, but it ruins the scale look IMO. Your best and probably easiest option other than changing the body is to add more weights down low, like metal wheels, portal weights, wheel weights, stuff like that.

Lowering the battery tray or switching to a lighter battery will help, but not a significant amount to weights.

Stiffer or dual-stage foams will also help during sidehilling, and stop the tire's sidewall from collapsing as easily, but that involves taking apart and reassembling the wheels, which is a pretty hard task if you have glued and not deadlock wheels.

The most effective option that I see is swapping out the body, but I know some people really like the defender body, and would like to keep it.
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Changing the approach angle really helps. The bumpers are too wide and low. I flipped my bumper mounts up. Trimmed and shortened bumpers. Trimmed the body shorter. You can turn the body into a pickup also. My tires touch the rocks before my bumpers do now.
Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:22 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:

Mount a Sport body on it or find an aftermarket body that you like.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Took a photo today. This will do everything I need it to do. Weighted all 4 wheels with car wheel weights. Added 4 more for each front. Made my own foam inserts from shipping foam for Bio Med equipment.
Attached Images

Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #12

The best solution that I have seen is a combination approach depending on your needs.

THE best body mod I have seen is the one by " LifeWith BillSiff " on youTube. It's excellent. I watched quite a few vids on the brass weight mods & my conclusion is : they are great for going up stuff & climbing, but going down hill.....not so much. Many will flip forward & endo because of the weight, which is why I said depending on your needs.
2019RedZR2Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #13

I added a bunch of weight up front and it flips forward!
size does matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:14 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Even though the thread is a little old. What was the decision on the body problem?
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #15

Modifying the body and weight down low helped this truck a lot.
Attached Images

NightOwlRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:29 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Remove the spare tire from the back and the luggage rack from the top. Then buy some STRC brass portal-gearbox housings to make the axles heavier. Beadlock wheels with steel rings are also a good step. That's pretty much everything I did to my TRX-4 Defender to keep it from rolling over.

Also, remember the TRX-4 has unlockable diffs -- make sure to actually use them. Run the diffs unlocked unless you need them, and you'll minimize truck-rolling torque twist.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:46 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
The defender body is really heavy. Removing the rear tire and roof racks/accessories will help, but it ruins the scale look IMO.
Looks fine to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
Your best and probably easiest option other than changing the body is to add more weights down low, like metal wheels, portal weights, wheel weights, stuff like that.
But yes, I agree brass portal gearbox housings are an important investment for the TRX-4 Defender -- or any TRX-4 or TRX-6 for which you want to minimize rollovers.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:50 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Looks fine to me.

But yes, I agree brass portal gearbox housings are an important investment for the TRX-4 Defender -- or any TRX-4 or TRX-6 for which you want to minimize rollovers.

Yeah, that looks great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:54 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Thanks. I wish I could take credit for it, but I used a 3D-printed rear "equipment rack" from Shapeways.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:05 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Default Top Heavy TRX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Thanks. I wish I could take credit for it, but I used a 3D-printed rear "equipment rack" from Shapeways.

Nice I’ll have to take a look at that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 10-04-2020 at 01:04 PM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Top Heavy TRX4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
top heavy. what will help?? stanmondz General Scale Talk 6 06-10-2012 05:42 PM
Help! my Dingo is to top heavy! FordFixer Axial SCX-10 18 02-17-2012 10:25 AM
Super top heavy! motostowes Tamiya CR-01 12 09-10-2011 06:12 PM
cr-01 top heavy Witz Tamiya CR-01 7 10-14-2008 09:27 PM