Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Just got a Bronco kit TRX-4 and want a second body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2020, 12:10 PM   #1

Default Just got a Bronco kit TRX-4 and want a second body

Hi, I'm a total newb to the TRX-4, to rock crawlers and to "modern" RC cars. In fact its been like 30 years since I last played with one and things have changed. A lot. Lol. It is really cool but the learning curve is quite steep and there are many more variables than there used to be.

I just got my Bronco TRX 4 and love it. I thought it would be fun, though, to paint and have a second body to swap back and forth.

Looking closer at whats on the market, though, it seems like it isn't that simple. It seems you have to modify the fenders and/or shocks and/or wheelbase. I want to be able to keep the car able to accept both bodies without going back and forth for the two bodies.

Is that possible? Everything I saw on proline was either for a different wheelbase or didn't accept the fenders that are attached to the chassis (which it looks like the shocks attach to the car on the bronco) etc.

Thanks for the help and sorry if it's a dumb question!
Grantmethepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #2

Default Re: Just got a Bronco kit TRX-4 and want a second body

I'm pretty sure the bronco wheelbase is 12.3in (312mm), which is pretty standard for rock crawlers. You won't have issues finding bodies to fit that wheelbase. Check out ProLine, they make a good variety of rock crawler bodies for both a 12.3in wheelbase and a 12.8in wheelbase. So pay close attention to what you are buying and make sure it matches your wheelbase.

As for the inner fender issue, I think the Bronco comes with the large inner fenders. You can either trim to fit the new body, and deal with the gap on the Bronco body when you use it again. Or you can get rid of them and go with just shock towers with no fenders, they are Traxxas Part #: TRA8216. They also make narrow inner fenders as well, they are Traxxas Part #: TRA8080.
TheseusOfTroezen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the links on the part numbers....would I be losing anything by replacing the fenders for the regular shock towers? it doesn't seem like I see them from the outside of the bronco, but they much be there for a reason, no?

Appreciate the help!!
Old 06-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantmethepower View Post
Thanks for the links on the part numbers....would I be losing anything by replacing the fenders for the regular shock towers? it doesn't seem like I see them from the outside of the bronco, but they much be there for a reason, no?

Appreciate the help!!
Inner fenders are mainly for scale looks and to keep dirt and debris out. They are nice to have but not needed at all. Though if you play in the mud you might value them more (I dont).
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
RCC Addict

First, Welcome to RCC!
All my TRX4s are equipped with non-intigrated shock towers with my fender liners held on the chassis by zip ties. This is a pic of my #3 TRX4 which started as a Bronco but is currently sporting an Axial SCX10ii Cherokee. Proline is just one source of bodies. If you see a 1/10 scale body that you like while browsing just ask where is came from. Odds are it can me made to fit.
Attached Images

Last edited by Inspector86; 06-09-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
First, Welcome to RCC!
All my TRX4s are equipped with non-intigrated shock towers with my fender liners held on the chassis by zip ties. This is a pic of my #3 TRX4 which started as a Bronco but is currently sporting an Axial SCX10ii Cherokee. Proline is just one source of bodies. If you see a 1/10 scale body that you like while browsing just ask where is came from. Odds are it can me made to fit.
Sweet! Your car looks sick and its good to know I could make the fenders work with zip ties. So then all I would need is those shock towers previously mentioned and then a few zip ties?

What do you zip it to?
Old 06-09-2020, 06:36 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Not the clearest picture but I drilled small holes so I could run the zip tie around the chassis rail.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2020, 10:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Not the clearest picture but I drilled small holes so I could run the zip tie around the chassis rail.
Ah! Clever! Thanks for the picture. Does that mean you think something like this would work? It doesn’t say it fits TRX-4 but it has the right wheel base. I’m concerned about the body mount locations and what not...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313mm-Conve...-/133083771295
Old 06-10-2020, 09:25 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Any body with an interior that has a low floor pan will likely need some creative fitment by cutting out pieces of the interior to fit around chassis components and/or moving some electronics around on the chassis.
Omega-Tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:22 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ah! Clever! Thanks for the picture. Does that mean you think something like this would work? It doesn’t say it fits TRX-4 but it has the right wheel base. I’m concerned about the body mount locations and what not...

That body could be made to fit BUT, do you want a hard body? In general a hard body is a completely different class of body molded out of styrene which is generally much heaver than the vacuum formed lexan bodies. Plus a hard body is far more difficult to mount. That said, Injora is a known counterfeiter of parts and I will not buy anything from them. They are known to steal designs from legit companies and then flood the market with cheap inferior quality parts. I would be surprised if that body is even licensed.

Last edited by Inspector86; 06-20-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:10 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

You want to swap between two bodies. If you want to do this without any tools. You would need to match the body post height. The Bronco will have a tall post for the rear. To match exactly, you would not pick an open body or pickup style. I have one body for running tall rocks where flipping is only a matter of time. I have another body I use that still looks great. You can get another set of posts on EBay if you want short posts. So after swopping...(unscrewing two screws) you can run a pickup style body or open.
Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:19 PM   #12

How do you like the TRX4?
Jeanethics is offline   Reply With Quote

Just got a Bronco kit TRX-4 and want a second body - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 sport/Bronco kit BrianP Traxxas TRX-4 19 10-27-2018 07:31 AM
IN STOCK NOW! NEW My Trick RC Attack LED Light Kit for TRX-4 Bronco! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-26-2018 12:28 PM
Traxxas Official TRX-4 Bronco Light Kit ScoJac Traxxas TRX-4 9 06-11-2018 10:09 AM
Traxxas TRX-4 KIT Bronco fxman General Crawlers 115 04-22-2018 10:26 AM