Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Stock foams.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2020, 10:00 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Stock foams.

So I want a final decision on what to do here. Are the foams that come with the sport kit too hard or too soft or good enough? Depending on who you ask i get different answers. I had kind of decided to drill some holes in them around the outer edge to turn them into "dual stage faoms" but then i watched a youtube vid that said they are too soft already. I dont wanna buy new foams until i upgrade the wheels and tires so im looking for an answer on what to do with the stock setup for the first 6 months or so. Any advice?
mr_alister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Stock foams.

I can't accurately answer since I don't have the Sport but I do have the Defender and Bronco models. What I've found is that with such variation in terrain, vehicle weight, and tire/ sidewall flex due to varying compounds... foams act quite differently from rig to rig. I've used foams that on a lighter rig with stiff tires, were almost useless, yet they were perfect in another heavier rig with more flexible tires. I'd personally run them in whatever tire/ wheel you think you're going to use and just give it some time to see how they perform.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:08 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Problem is i gotta glue the stock tires to the stock wheels so i kinda want to get the foams right otherwise im in for a pain in the butt baking the tires off the rims later..
Old 06-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #4

Just glue them. You're going to want to replace the rims, tires, foams and servo eventually anyway. Run what you got until you do.
Moothafugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:32 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

So what you're all saying is go and buy a set a beadlocks right away and stop worrying about it? Lol.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:59 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Yes! lol. I mean... just like the different reviews indicate, you may find that they work for you and you may not. It's not as simple as what foams work best for the Sport since tires and the type of terrain will play into the equation. If you can swing it, aluminum bead-locks are worth the cost imo... especially b/c you can fine tune your foam preference as you go.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:00 PM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

I have been running the stock Canyon Trail tires with the stock foams for over a year on and off and I really like how the stock foams feel. With the terrain I run in they work very well. I do not vent my tires, so my foams have stayed dry and they have not seemed to break down to badly.

I would recommend getting a set of beadlock wheels. As Drifter said, it makes it much easier to fine tune your foams if needed. Also, if your foams get wet or damaged, it is as simple as removing screws to take out the foams. Glueing tires has never been something that I've liked to do. Beadlocks make life much easier!

Here is a pic of my Sport/Chassis Kit. My rig is fairly heavy at about 8.5 to 9 lbs. The stock foams have no problem holding their shape and keeping the rig stable.

Name:  IMG_3156 (2).jpg
Views: 245
Size:  186.1 KB
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:23 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

B-mow i just commented on your pic on the traxxas forum! Love your truck dude. How much weight would you guess you've added? You think im best off just leaving them alone and adding weight? I might be overcomplicating things here but i guess i just love talking to people with more experience than me as much as i like my rc's themselves
Old 06-14-2020, 02:14 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Get a cheap set of alloys on eBay, I've been running them for years, huge selection.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #10
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_alister View Post
B-mow i just commented on your pic on the traxxas forum! Love your truck dude. How much weight would you guess you've added? You think im best off just leaving them alone and adding weight? I might be overcomplicating things here but i guess i just love talking to people with more experience than me as much as i like my rc's themselves
Thanks man!

As for how much weight I've added, I haven't totaled it up. I've added all the Samix brass pieces to the front and rear axles. As the truck sit now without battery, it is weighing in at 8lbs. 5ozs.

I did not do a build thread on this rig...yet, but you can check out my thread I made when I took to Beat The Creek to see more pics of how the tires looked out on the trail. Here is the link: B-MOW takes the Sport to Beat The Creek!

I regret not making a build thread on this rig. I've done a ton of upgrading and mods to it over the past couple years. I should go back and dig up the old pics and put a build thread together for it.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:06 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I would read that!

Stock foams. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What pair of foams to replace the stock bomber foams? nd4spdbh Axial RR10 Bomber 14 10-11-2016 10:36 AM
Stock HB Rover Foams or Proline Memory Foams? norco kid Tires and Wheels 3 10-13-2012 11:00 AM
help....stock tires cut foams or no foams? Jcplante Redcat Crawlers 8 08-22-2011 07:32 AM
cut stock foams, or buy foams? marvinbeaverdip Tires and Wheels 4 01-20-2011 12:55 PM
Stock AX10 foams or Losi Rock Claw foams? ForkliftJeff Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 04-06-2008 10:28 PM