Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4
Loading

Notices

Thread: Need a lil help with 1080 install...wire is too short

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: LA
Posts: 11
Default Need a lil help with 1080 install...wire is too short

Hi all,

I'm a total noob and am installing a Hobbywing 1080 because the stock ESC died. I am running into a problem, though. I can't mount the new ESC where the old one was because the wire from the ESC to the receiver is too short to follow the same path as the original.

Did everyone have this issue? I have seen it is a common ESC for this rig. Where do people usually mount it?

Thanks!
Grantmethepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Brookfield
Posts: 132
Default Re: Need a lil help with 1080 install...wire is too short

You can pick up a servo extension lead like this https://www.horizonhobby.com/heavy-d...ion-3-spma3000

Your local hobby should have them if you have a hobby shop near you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Dirt Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: LA
Posts: 11
Default Re: Need a lil help with 1080 install...wire is too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Runner View Post
You can pick up a servo extension lead like this https://www.horizonhobby.com/heavy-d...ion-3-spma3000

Your local hobby should have them if you have a hobby shop near you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the link. Darn. I wish I'd have known! Well, at least I know now.

Installing it was a pain...the stock ESC was wired under this stiff bar between the servos for the locking differentials. Geetting the plug through there was really tough.
Grantmethepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Drums, PA
Posts: 76
Default Re: Need a lil help with 1080 install...wire is too short

You just need a simple servo extension found at any hobby shop. I have the same set up and needed one as well. Fortunately I've flown RC aircraft for years and have tons of extensions. If you do end up getting one, my recommendation is to find one with gold plated connectors (they're really not that much more expensive). Some really inexpensive ones are not gold plated and may oxidize at the connection points. Also, use the shortest extension need. Servo extensions come in 3" - 48" lengths.

Here's an example:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/heavy-d...ion-3-spma3000

If you plan to play in the water or mud, just tape up the connection. May or may not be that critical but what the heck.

(Oops.....some one beat me to it.....)

Last edited by OnTheTrail; 06-20-2020 at 01:27 PM.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: LA
Posts: 11
Default Re: Need a lil help with 1080 install...wire is too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
You just need a simple servo extension found at any hobby shop. I have the same set up and needed one as well. Fortunately I've flown RC aircraft for years and have tons of extensions. If you do end up getting one, my recommendation is to find one with gold plated connectors (they're really not that much more expensive). Some really inexpensive ones are not gold plated and may oxidize at the connection points. Also, use the shortest extension need. Servo extensions come in 3" - 48" lengths.

Here's an example:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/heavy-d...ion-3-spma3000

If you plan to play in the water or mud, just tape up the connection. May or may not be that critical but what the heck.

(Oops.....some one beat me to it.....)
Thanks for the reply!
Grantmethepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:39 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: LA
Posts: 11
Default Re: Need a lil help with 1080 install...wire is too short

Ok, sorry for another dumb question...but I see extensions for "JR style" and for "Futaba Style". Which are the ones I need to connect the 1080 to the receiver?
Grantmethepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Brookfield
Posts: 132
Default Re: Need a lil help with 1080 install...wire is too short

Futaba style is the one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Dirt Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: LA
Posts: 11
Default Re: Need a lil help with 1080 install...wire is too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Runner View Post
Futaba style is the one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sweet. Thank you again!
Grantmethepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:56 PM   #9
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ocala, Florida, USA
Posts: 1,023
Default Re: Need a lil help with 1080 install...wire is too short

Getting the wires through by the micro servos is much easier if you take out the two screws holding the servo mount. Then you can lift it up enough to get them through easier. Found that out on accident after fighting some through there without loosening the mount. I bit the bullet and bought a case of connectors and the wire for cheap on Amazon. That way I just build what extensions I need.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:03 AM   #10
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Orlando
Posts: 57
Default Re: Need a lil help with 1080 install...wire is too short

Mine's in a Sport so it might be different, but I too found the wire to be pretty short. I ran it straight over the transmission.



The other thing I did was move the receiver box inward and forward a little bit, that added more slack for both the ESC and servo
20vmki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:07 AM   #11
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ocala, Florida, USA
Posts: 1,023
Default Re: Need a lil help with 1080 install...wire is too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vmki View Post
Mine's in a Sport so it might be different, but I too found the wire to be pretty short. I ran it straight over the transmission.



The other thing I did was move the receiver box inward and forward a little bit, that added more slack for both the ESC and servo

I totally forgot I had ran my wire between the battery tray and the trans. I also spun my Rx box 180degrees. Which helped allot with the wire from the steering servo.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #12
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ocala, Florida, USA
Posts: 1,023
Default Re: Need a lil help with 1080 install...wire is too short




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 108
Default Re: Need a lil help with 1080 install...wire is too short

I actually bought 2 extender cables for my sevo and my 1080. That way i can change both if i ever need to without having to open the reciever box which i hate doing with that lil blue seal and the silicone etc.
mr_alister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:34 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 108
Default Re: Need a lil help with 1080 install...wire is too short

Like so...
mr_alister is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Need a lil help with 1080 install...wire is too short - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sidewinder 3, What wire to cut after BEC install dannyboyjdc Newbie General 9 11-19-2016 12:50 AM
wire install on hh trail master 3100 brushless ktrudell Electronics 6 03-10-2014 06:30 PM
Motor install, connectors or hard wire ? xCoolHandLukex Electronics 7 10-16-2012 06:53 AM
Balancer wire short??!! RickM Electronics 6 11-03-2010 09:33 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com