RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   2s vs 3s Performance Comparison (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/619313-2s-vs-3s-performance-comparison.html)

splyn 06-26-2020 12:27 PM

2s vs 3s Performance Comparison

After i got my Blazer, i got annoyed that my 5yr old would always want to drive it. So a sport was "required" so we could run together (and fewer parts to repair/adjust). i have been running the Blazer with a 3s and put a 2s in the sport, to keep the kiddo from destroying things TOO quickly. well, he's been doing really well with it; not always at full throttle, is developing some good control, etc. so i decided to give him the 3s to try. I was REALLY surprised at how much better the Sport is with a 3s. And how much slower the Blazer is on 2s. With the Sport running a 2s and the Blazer with the 3s, the Sport was just a little bit faster with the Blazer in low. With the batteries swapped, the Blazer needs high gear to keep up with the Sport. The Blazer is still faster, but BARELY.

Both rigs still crawl well with either battery, but the 3s really makes EVERYTHING better.

20vmki 06-26-2020 04:36 PM

Re: 2s vs 3s Performance Comparison

Quote:

Originally Posted by splyn (Post 6031210)
I was REALLY surprised at how much better the Sport is with a 3s.

Both rigs still crawl well with either battery, but the 3s really makes EVERYTHING better.

What specially was better with 3S?

splyn 06-26-2020 06:33 PM

it was just as composed, but it had noticeably more torque, wheel speed, speed in general. the phrase "wakes it up" is the best description. the 2s needs some coffee, the 3s already had thiers.

20vmki 06-26-2020 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splyn (Post 6031243)
it was just as composed, but it had noticeably more torque, wheel speed, speed in general. the phrase "wakes it up" is the best description. the 2s needs some coffee, the 3s already had thiers.

Okay. I got 2 2S 2200mAh for my TRX-4 Sport (I get small packs so I can share them with my 1/16 E-Revo). I didn't go with the 3S 1400 mAh because I was worried about runtime, would it be a lot less with that 3S battery?

mass-hole 06-27-2020 11:48 PM

2s vs 3s Performance Comparison

The sport has taller gears at the motor(pinion/spur). Low speed in the blazer is slower/higher gear reduction than the sport.

Thats why the blazer seems so slow on 2S

splyn 06-28-2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mass-hole (Post 6031425)
The sport has taller gears at the motor(pinion/spur). Low speed in the blazer is slower/higher gear reduction than the sport.

Thats why the blazer seems so slow on 2S

True, but the comparative speeds between the Blazer in low gear and the sport illustrates the performance differences between the 2s and 3s packs.

splyn 07-02-2020 10:07 PM

i just upgraded to a mamba x and castle slate 2850kv. HOLY COW!!! low speed with 3s is now just a little bit faster than the Sport with a 3s. High gear is WAY too fast for this rig. far too tippy but straight line fun is ... well.... fun. crawling is still good, decent control. however i just received and installed my 9t pinion and indoor crawling shows a marked improvement in crawling modulation. once i have a chance to try it on some proper obstacles, ill report some more. looks like i am headed in the right direction when it comes to performance.

HumboldtEF 07-02-2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splyn (Post 6032202)
snip
High gear is WAY too fast for this rig. far too tippy but straight line fun is ... well.... fun.

unlocking the diffs helps a tiny bit

Benp 07-03-2020 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splyn (Post 6032202)
i just upgraded to a mamba x and castle slate 2850kv. HOLY COW!!! low speed with 3s is now just a little bit faster than the Sport with a 3s. High gear is WAY too fast for this rig. far too tippy but straight line fun is ... well.... fun. crawling is still good, decent control. however i just received and installed my 9t pinion and indoor crawling shows a marked improvement in crawling modulation. once i have a chance to try it on some proper obstacles, ill report some more. looks like i am headed in the right direction when it comes to performance.

I run 9/45 on my sport with similar setups to yours and really like it with 3s. (Mamba x , Trailmaster Pro 3300, Revolver 2500 and now Puller Pro v2 2700)

I setup my Mamba X pretty much verbatim to HH recommendations on his videos.

The crawler modulation and low speed control is awesome with the gearing, motors and esc set up.

I’m very very happy with my setup on the rocks.

I agree that you’re headed in the right direction.