Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Andy's TRX4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2020, 08:53 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Andy's TRX4

I've had this TRX4 Bronco on the trail for a while now and still loving it. Not really a whole lot of mods done to it, but a fair bit of tuning I guess you could say. There's a decent amount of lead I've strategectly placed around the chassis to keep that nose down and HR brass portal covers up front. Heavier oil in the shocks seems to help too. Still running the original tires. I cut them over the winter and they work even better. I've been running other tires as well, but I keep coming back to these.

These pics are from Mt Cardigan in Orange New Hampshire.

Last edited by andymac0035; 07-06-2020 at 09:02 PM.
andymac0035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2020, 09:07 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Andy's TRX4

With all that we do to these rigs, it's nice to see a thoroughly scraped-up mostly stock TRX4... just out there gettin' it done. I think that some of us get a little overwhelmed ( and lost) with all the mods and upgrades. Glad that you're enjoying your rig. Appears that she climbs like a beast and looks like an awesome/ scenic location!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

My original esc did last year and a SV3 I had picked up used replaced that, but it died too. There's a HH BRXL in there now so I think that one will last (it better!). Still running a stock motor but that will change after this one (I've gone through 3, the 1st lasted a long time, but the replacements... not so much).

So originally I had a lot of lead on the underside of the front tray, and more at the front of each running board. I was running a full sized 3S in the stock tray, but switched to a shorty in the front tray. This worked well (front tray) but if the truck started to tip at all ... with all the weight up front and that battery up high ... ummm yeah...I changed things up. I pulled the side/front weight and made a lead cross member of sorts right over the front axle and moved the shorty to the stock tray. I tried it all the way forward, as well as on it's side in the rear well of the tray. both worked well and improved side and down-hilling a lot, but the forward tray position seems to do the best if steep climbs are involved (and they usually are).

The stuff wrapped in black tape is all the 1/4 oz stick-on lead I used.

Last edited by andymac0035; 07-06-2020 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:19 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Looking good!
20vmki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:28 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
With all that we do to these rigs, it's nice to see a thoroughly scraped-up mostly stock TRX4... just out there gettin' it done. I think that some of us get a little overwhelmed ( and lost) with all the mods and upgrades. Glad that you're enjoying your rig. Appears that she climbs like a beast and looks like an awesome/ scenic location!
Thanks, and yes, it's a great spot. I'm lucky too, it's local to me. That body is so beat it's hard to believe it's the same one I started with. There's a fair bit of shoe-goo and drywall tape under there and the door bottoms have velcro holding them in the little channels and that's gone a long way to help saving it too, as it's had quite a few tumbles.

One of my other sets of tires. RC4WD Iroks that I've been braking in. I recently cut them (middle tread) and shaved them (they were getting feathered) and it's helped a lot. I have a jig a made for a drill and spin them in the opposite direction they would go on the truck and work them over with a file (like you would with a wood lathe). I always like to put a little back-cut on the tread of a directional tire so they bite harder.

Andy's TRX4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Andy's Build thread AndyGJorgensen RC4WD Bully 8 12-03-2012 08:02 PM
andy's crack thomass14 North Dakota 13 09-25-2012 07:32 PM