Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX4 Defender questions.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2020, 10:02 AM   #1

Default TRX4 Defender questions.....

I am REALLY enjoying my very first RC vehicle, ever, at 57 yrs old. TRX4 Defender, red & already installed the 9T pinion (& yes, I reclocked the motor/bolts, to the A position). IMO, it REALLY helps with the crawling (which is why I bought it). I would be fine if Hi range was my Lo range & Lo range was REALLY Lo.

So 1st question is : is anyone running front & rear 10/35 ring & pinions in their axle diffs ? If so, how do you like them ?

Anyone install the long arm lift kit & regret it ?

Anyone install the 2.2 tires & wheels & regret it ?

I am asking because It seems the limiting factor for me is ground clearance.

Also, does anyone know if the long arm lift kit is required to install the deep terrain tracks ? I would like to be able to use it in winter as well.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by 2019RedZR2Diesel; 08-20-2020 at 10:08 AM.
2019RedZR2Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2020, 02:23 PM   #2

Default Re: TRX4 Defender questions.....

Interesting questions, hoping someone would chime in.
Would upgrading the motor to something like the Hobbywing Axe help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
deuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I’m new to this like you also, running my red TRX. From what I’ve read you want to keep the CG as low as possible. Installing a lift kit is going to negate that effort. Tomorrow will be my second run, I have installed wheel weights under the frame and also have a Bowhouse low CG battery tray. Being such a top heavy rig you need to pay attention to this to stay grounded. I also removed the roof rack, spare tire, gas can, and jack to lighten the load. First thing I did with mine was swap out the steering servo and put in a HW 1080. Hope this helps.
Uncle Pete
Uncle Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:03 PM   #4

I was actually thinking lift kit with stock tires & softer springs to get a little more droop. Or maybe just the shocks but not sure that would work.

For getting the weight off the roof issue, I was thinking down the road, maybe this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgAEXI7rmh8

If I can't post this, please delete.

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming please. Stock motor seems plenty strong enough for me, especially with the 9T pinion on motor (vs the stock 11T).

Last edited by 2019RedZR2Diesel; 08-20-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

First of all congratulations. you made a great choice. It is a capable rig that performs better and better with each mod. Use the search for “what have I done to my TRX-4”. You can reverse your bumper mounts to raise the bumpers. Push the bumper in all the way. It will have a curved spot. Grind that square. The bumper will go in further. Put them on a grinder and angle and shorten. Get lexon scissors and trim the body. Raise the sliders with spacers and longer bolts. Do the canyon tire mods. Get Samix adjustable shock plates. Like Uncle Pete said..lose dead weight. Get a 3S 50C,5200MH,Battery make sure it has a Traxxas connector. I like the Traxxas 400 steering servo . Get a BEC not Traxxas though. Get a 1080 ESC with program card. Get beadlocks and put weight on wheels. Look at stock shock mods for no stick shocks with green slime. Overdrive the front only...will help with steering while front is locked in. If you want lower gearing than what the 9T pinion is giving you...only underdrive the rear. Get aluminum front lower link and shock mount. This fixes play in the plastic mounts steering under a load. Put the rig through some tuff crawling when your done for the moment modifying...then do it again with the body off. If there is a big difference..you need to counterweight the running gear or get a lighter body. I have no clearance uses with the 1.9 canyons. They are as tall as aftermarket xl tires. Put time on the rig ...watch what is going to hit the pumpkins and angle it. I am constantly walking around the rig looking where the tires need to grab next.

Last edited by Jeff6x6; 08-20-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:55 PM   #6

Lots of people installed the lift kit and regret it, with the Defender body especially the most important thing is weight distribution and achieve stability, lift kit and 2.2 tires are detrimental for both.
The best upgrades for stability that I did are 4.35" tires (and almost no preload), shocks tuning (spacer mod and lighter oil), lowcg battery tray, brass outer portals and alloy axle just on the front, remove spare tire and lighten up the cage, heavy beadlock wheels.
For clearance the GRC c-hubs are a nice addition that also improves steering due to the Ackermann angle, for crawling the HW 1080 ESC. Just underdrive the rear if you want to increase climbing capabilities.
Run 3s batteries with that gearing, Gens Ace Adventure 4300mah or Protek LIHV packs are compact and last almost three hours, more than enough.
RCPawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:20 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Welcome to RCC and the RC hobby, we are just a bunch of old kids who like to play with tiny trucks. First some forum business, TRX4 questions should be posted in the TRX4 specific section below. That said, I'm 66 and currently have 5 TRX4s all of which I have installed 9t pinions and Traxxas underdrive gears in both axles on all of them. The trucks crawl noticeably smoother with more power and the motors stay noticeably cooler. The trucks still run faster than I can walk in hi range which is all the top speed I am interested in. As for the long arm kit and 2.2 tires, DON'T unless you are building a mud bogger. Nearly everyone I have seen over the years do this conversion eventually goes back to the stock length links and 1.9 tires. The problem you run into when lifting the truck is that you raise the CoG (center of gravity) which negatively effects climbing and side hill stability. The Defender is top heavy to begin with and the net result of a lift kit is that you end up with a truck that will fall on it's side very easily which gets old really fast. The best first mod I normally recommend is installing weight down low in the form of portal weights which will go a long way to counter the top heavy Defender body.

Last edited by Inspector86; 08-20-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:51 AM   #8

Sorry, I thought this was the Traxxas TRX4 forum thread. My apologies. Thanks for the replies. I guess basically, I am looking for more suspension performance/travel. I was amazed at what my real life (1:1 I guess you RC-er's call them) 3rd Gen Dodge Power wagon could do with the flex it had. In my minds world, a lift kit would give you more suspension performance ---NOT JUST a lift. I am seriously thinking the 10/35 diff gears as my next mod, after payday. Not interested in actual competition. Just fun, realism & crawling performance.

I watched a video from Kevin Talbot who relocated/fabbed his own upper shock mounts & got CRAZY articulation. It seems that would greatly aid in crawling ability, yes ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5g3p0Sevhw

I really appreciate the help/input, Thanks !!!
Old 08-22-2020, 05:18 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

BenP installed Desert Lizard shocks and went for a lot of droop. His tire would just keep falling till it touched a rock. Where stock would be up in the air due to the short travel. He liked the results. He played around with different springs till he picked the right one. He is in “what did you do to your TRX-4 today” comment #1510.
Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6x6 View Post
First of all congratulations. you made a great choice. It is a capable rig that performs better and better with each mod. Use the search for “what have I done to my TRX-4”. You can reverse your bumper mounts to raise the bumpers. Push the bumper in all the way. It will have a curved spot. Grind that square. The bumper will go in further. Put them on a grinder and angle and shorten. Get lexon scissors and trim the body. Raise the sliders with spacers and longer bolts. Do the canyon tire mods. Get Samix adjustable shock plates. Like Uncle Pete said..lose dead weight. Get a 3S 50C,5200MH,Battery make sure it has a Traxxas connector. I like the Traxxas 400 steering servo . Get a BEC not Traxxas though. Get a 1080 ESC with program card. Get beadlocks and put weight on wheels. Look at stock shock mods for no stick shocks with green slime. Overdrive the front only...will help with steering while front is locked in. If you want lower gearing than what the 9T pinion is giving you...only underdrive the rear. Get aluminum front lower link and shock mount. This fixes play in the plastic mounts steering under a load. Put the rig through some tuff crawling when your done for the moment modifying...then do it again with the body off. If there is a big difference..you need to counterweight the running gear or get a lighter body. I have no clearance uses with the 1.9 canyons. They are as tall as aftermarket xl tires. Put time on the rig ...watch what is going to hit the pumpkins and angle it. I am constantly walking around the rig looking where the tires need to grab next.
Underdrive both axles?? I've always hear over drive the front and underdrive the rear. On my TRX4 Sport I have over drive the fronts.
Also put in a slip eliminator and will be adding the 9T pinion gear. No mods to my gearing on the rear axle.
My front axle is all brassed out, minus the Diff cover.
Captain Scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:58 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Default TRX4 Defender questions.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019RedZR2Diesel View Post
Sorry, I thought this was the Traxxas TRX4 forum thread. My apologies. Thanks for the replies. I guess basically, I am looking for more suspension performance/travel. I was amazed at what my real life (1:1 I guess you RC-er's call them) 3rd Gen Dodge Power wagon could do with the flex it had. In my minds world, a lift kit would give you more suspension performance ---NOT JUST a lift. I am seriously thinking the 10/35 diff gears as my next mod, after payday. Not interested in actual competition. Just fun, realism & crawling performance.

I watched a video from Kevin Talbot who relocated/fabbed his own upper shock mounts & got CRAZY articulation. It seems that would greatly aid in crawling ability, yes ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5g3p0Sevhw

I really appreciate the help/input, Thanks !!!

Hey man, welcome to RCC! I have a TRX4 with 2.2s and no lift, and it does great. Although I’m running a chopped up Bronco body, they fit good, not sure how they’d fit under the Defender body. There aren’t super tall, only 5.1” tall while the stock 1.9s are 4.75” tall, so not a big difference there.

As far as lift, don’t do it. The only time it’s good is when you’re doing like a Mega truck or mud truck, but for a crawler, there’s no positive impacts, only negative.

As for more travel, I am running the stock GTS shocks with factory shock oil in it, but have mine relocated, so I get stupid amount of flex. Even though the front shocks aren’t moved, that extra travel in the rear allows for WAY more flex. I’ll post some pictures of the relocation and flex below.

Hope this helps!

(Ignore the hideous roof rack, that’s long gone lol)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:21 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scoundrel View Post
Underdrive both axles?? I've always hear over drive the front and underdrive the rear. On my TRX4 Sport I have over drive the fronts.
Also put in a slip eliminator and will be adding the 9T pinion gear. No mods to my gearing on the rear axle.
My front axle is all brassed out, minus the Diff cover.

The only time OD front and UD rear is a benefit is if you comp or climb a lot. Since I trail and do not comp I want slow crawling which is why I went to a 9t pinion and UD gears front and rear. The problem is you hear everyone telling you you need OD UD and you start to believe everyone needs this when in fact it is a matter of what works best for you and your driving style. I tried OD UD and it simply did not work for my terrain and driving style. The bottom line is to build a setup that works best for YOU!
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:53 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019RedZR2Diesel View Post
I am REALLY enjoying my very first RC vehicle, ever, at 57 yrs old. TRX4 Defender, red & already installed the 9T pinion (& yes, I reclocked the motor/bolts, to the A position). IMO, it REALLY helps with the crawling (which is why I bought it). I would be fine if Hi range was my Lo range & Lo range was REALLY Lo.

So 1st question is : is anyone running front & rear 10/35 ring & pinions in their axle diffs ? If so, how do you like them ?

Anyone install the long arm lift kit & regret it ?

Anyone install the 2.2 tires & wheels & regret it ?

I am asking because It seems the limiting factor for me is ground clearance.

Also, does anyone know if the long arm lift kit is required to install the deep terrain tracks ? I would like to be able to use it in winter as well.

Thanks for the help.
I have a bronco that I ended up lifting on huge flat iron XL 2.2s and a brushless vxl system, for my location of where I usually crawl (natural creeks and streams, rock paths ect) it's been just as capable as my stock chassis trx4 with just a set of spacers, wheels and 4.75" tall 1.9s my only downside to the lift kit is wanting to change up my body because it's getting pretty beat up. I have a defender body that I'd like on but it will just sit way too high, 2.2s are too wide for the body and my tallest 1.9 is too short. The ideal tire would be a 5" tall 1.9ish wide tire but it's hard to find with a good tread/compound. It's all going to come down to what you prefer. Imo I would try messing around with some other changes before biting that bullet like adding weight down low, a taller tire and some shock adjustments or changing out with others of need be. A change of driving style may help if your trying to clear large objects.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
mitch.douglas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

*If you want performance as far as crawling you have to ditch that body. It is too big and too heavy. If you like the looks you have to add allot more weight down low in an attempt to try to compensate. You still want your wait forward whether you go light or stay heavy.

I don't like droop where people mounted the shock one the frame. I like the RC to sit in about the middle of the suspension travel and the angle of the shock to work with the arc the axle moves in and do what a shock is supposed to do. Your spring needs to be able to carry weight in order to work. The oil in the shocks tells it how fast to rebound. Slower rebound and heavier oil for crawling slow, lighter oil if you want to travel faster.

With the spring to hold up your RC in position, and the weight needs to settle it. We have solid axles as the wheel on the other side of the axle goes up it PUSHES down you wheel and the down wheel pushes back. With the shock low, too much angle it just falls, it doesn't push the RC back up. On climbs it would just flip me over backwards. I have slightly longer shocks in back I mount high, normal shocks in front mounted almost normal and my servo is on the axle allowing for more up ward movement. I like to sit in about the middle of my suspension travel. I want about as much up travel as down travel*

When you build you have build you vehicle for a purpose. Is it for comp, for trailing? While it crawl on rocks or scoot down trails?

It isn't about right or wrong answers, just trade offs. If you want a jack of all trades you can do that but it won't be a master of any.

I run Traxxas12% OD in front and 12% in the rear. I ran 12% OD at first and like the additional 12% in the rear.

I don't trail just mostly do comps with my TRX. I run 2 different 2.2s. My favorites are ProLine Hammers, they are 4.9in not real big. I also run some Pitbulls that are closer to 5.5. I run a different body that has more wheel space and I am not scared of the Dremel.

I wouldn't do lift, I would rather cut away the body to allow for more tire movement. Because of the portals TRXs have more clearance than others. Drive it a while and you will get better at picking your line.

I have no experience with tracks.

*My opinion and others my have a different one.

Last edited by MOguy; 12-06-2020 at 03:56 PM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:57 AM   #15
RCC Addict

The 'limiting factors' for me are what make it fun. Once upon a time I had a very dialled in Jeep/Wraith and a Wronch....it became quite dull as very little challenged them.

I run a red Landover like you that is more or less stock bar looking as realistic as I can make it and I get much more sense of achievement when I tackle obstacles that look tough.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX4 Defender questions..... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 Defender in the woods RichardA Traxxas TRX-4 5 08-11-2020 08:16 AM
TRX4 Defender in the woods RichardA Scale Videos! 1 07-19-2020 01:38 PM
Traxxas trx4 Defender Luis ferrero Newbie General 4 02-15-2020 05:13 PM