RichardA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2020, 06:28 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TRX-4 Defender, testing mudslinger tyres and new trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardA View Post
Tyre and trailer testing - https://youtu.be/HWD2xQdb-rA

I loved the beginning where you backed out and headed off. I got a good chuckle.

The tires look great!

Rig seemed to handle the trailer pretty good.

The part where you got stuck and backed up, I have seen the exact same situation play out in the 1:1 world. With the same tires even. TSL Boggers.

There is forward momentum, start slowing, tires quit cleaning out and stuck. I was getting flashbacks. Lol.

To get those tires to work well on all 4, you need some really good wheel speed and a healthy motor. Just like 1:1.

Be interesting to see what the outcome would of been with a 3300-3500kv brushless setup.

The downside is you find out how durable your parts are. Just like full size.

The self recovery was great! A much better option to endless backing up and then hammering it.

Great video!
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
I loved the beginning where you backed out and headed off. I got a good chuckle.

The tires look great!

Rig seemed to handle the trailer pretty good.

The part where you got stuck and backed up, I have seen the exact same situation play out in the 1:1 world. With the same tires even. TSL Boggers.

There is forward momentum, start slowing, tires quit cleaning out and stuck. I was getting flashbacks. Lol.

To get those tires to work well on all 4, you need some really good wheel speed and a healthy motor. Just like 1:1.

Be interesting to see what the outcome would of been with a 3300-3500kv brushless setup.

The downside is you find out how durable your parts are. Just like full size.

The self recovery was great! A much better option to endless backing up and then hammering it.

Great video!

Thanks buddy your comments are appreciated. Yeah, i've been thinking of getting a brushless setup and putting the current 1080 and HH 550 TMS into my Scx10 UMG 6x6, upgrade both at once sort of thing. Been looking at either the HW Axe or the Manba with HH motor. Is there any particular combo that's good for towing torque and wheelspeed/punch, i'm not bothered about a high top speed but wouldn't mind it if it gets you going forward in the thick stuff! The truck weighs 6.2Kg and with a bit more brass on order it will be in the region of 6.5kg, so it would only be a matter of time until the trans/props/diffs/portals expire and i plan to upgrade those as and when required. I've just got a proper camera, Gopro Hero 8 so i'll be making some more 'mud' videos soon, again thanks for the comments.

Last edited by RichardA; 08-27-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

If your rig is a 2 speed you could drop the pinion size and see if that helps.

It would crawl along well in low gear and then give you some good pop in high gear.

If you don’t already, running 3s battery would also help regain speed loss from lowering the gearing from pinion change.

If you do wind up going brushless with either the axe or mamba x, there a great YouTube videos regarding tuning.

HH mamba x tuning videos are top notch and that’s how I have mine set up.

Keep up the good work!

Even though I have mudding out of my system, I thoroughly enjoy watching other people’s adventures slinging it!
Old 08-28-2020, 09:20 AM   #5

Hi, yes it's a 2 speed running a HW 1080 with the budget HH 550 trailmaster sport on a 9T pinion with the standard 45T spur on 3s always unless I run the 2x 5000mah's out and only then i use a spare 5000mah 2s to get me home/back to the car. It crawls pretty slow already to be fair and I suppose i should use the 2nd gear for punch when needed (i sometimes forget as I spend most of the time in 1st). The only thing putting me off the axe system is you can't use other make motors with it, so for future compatibility, think I'll go with the CC Mamba X and something like the HH Puller Pro V2 2200KV (it's a bit dearer than the equivalent axe system but heard more good things about the Mamba x than the axe) Does the Mamba X have FOV like the axe or does it drive more like a brushed motor where you have to put the work in with the throttle to keep the wheels turning when you hit an obstacle?
Old 08-28-2020, 08:19 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Hi, yes it's a 2 speed running a HW 1080 with the budget HH 550 trailmaster sport on a 9T pinion with the standard 45T spur on 3s always unless I run the 2x 5000mah's out and only then i use a spare 5000mah 2s to get me home/back to the car. It crawls pretty slow already to be fair and I suppose i should use the 2nd gear for punch when needed (i sometimes forget as I spend most of the time in 1st). The only thing putting me off the axe system is you can't use other make motors with it, so for future compatibility, think I'll go with the CC Mamba X and something like the HH Puller Pro V2 2200KV (it's a bit dearer than the equivalent axe system but heard more good things about the Mamba x than the axe) Does the Mamba X have FOV like the axe or does it drive more like a brushed motor where you have to put the work in with the throttle to keep the wheels turning when you hit an obstacle?

I 100% agree on being locked in with the axe system.

IMO, right now I run a 2700 kv motor. No way I personally would go lower. It goes plenty slow plus gives me wheel speed when/if I need it.

I started off with a 3300kv motor and that crawled just just fine with 9/45 gearing.

I’d rather have it and not need it.

I think I know what you mean by FOV and I’d say no it drives more like a brushless. You need throttle input.

I have my throttle curve set at 70% trigger pull gives me 30% power. . Awesome low speed control.

Like I said HH has awesome mamba x programming tutorials and he explains the why for each setting.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:42 AM   #7

#Benp thanks for the info, i'll look for a 2700kv or higher and read/watch up on the Mamba X.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:39 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Default TRX-4 Defender, testing mudslinger tyres and new trailer

Quote:
#Benp thanks for the info, i'll look for a 2700kv or higher and read/watch up on the Mamba X.

HH has both of them in stock now.

https://holmeshobbies.com/brushless-motor-combo.html

This is the route I’ve chosen. You get both of them at a cheaper price and can get either xt60 or deans plug battery connector soldered on along with a jst connector if you wAnt.

I’m very pleased with them. A little spendy but the programming is awesome.

ETA - the jst addition is nice Incase down the road you decide for a direct battery powered servo. You’re all set!

Last edited by Benp; 08-29-2020 at 07:59 PM.

Tags
defender, mudslingers, trailer, trx-4, trx4

TRX-4 Defender, testing mudslinger tyres and new trailer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Defender, testing mudslinger tyres and new trailer RichardA Scale Videos! 0 08-24-2020 03:38 AM
TRX-4 Defender, testing mudslinger tyres and new trailer RichardA Videos! 0 08-24-2020 03:34 AM
Traxxas TRX4 Defender pick up mod+ 2.2 tyres FredhollTRX4 Traxxas Crawlers 1 06-07-2020 05:32 PM
Testing some low cost tyres... Esseaux Tires and Wheels 7 02-04-2020 01:28 AM
Part 2 of the Mudslinger testing..... Reflection Videos! 7 12-03-2007 11:53 AM