Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: 3d printed differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 3d printed differentials

Hey guy's I'm trying to save weight on my 12s race 6x6 and I came up with the idea 3d printed differential gears that will be made of nylon x or polycarbonate filament thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
jemelumadu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 3d printed differentials

I think its going to fail very easily. I predict you'll get about 12" before these grenade.

I'd recommend looking for weight savings elsewhere.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Can’t say I would recommend that venture either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:04 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I think its going to fail very easily. I predict you'll get about 12" before these grenade.

I'd recommend looking for weight savings elsewhere.
It lasted in a car differential for a while so in a rc it should last, and porsche is 3d printing pistons

Old 09-07-2020, 04:05 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrawlingKid View Post
Can’t say I would recommend that venture either.

Why?

Old 09-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default 3d printed differentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemelumadu2 View Post
Why?

Why? Plastic would deform quickly leading to failure. That would be the last place I would look to reduce rotating mass and rotational drag. If you haven’t done so already I would get rid of the transmission and make it direct drive with a buggy centre diff or something of the sorts. Changing a diff to a 3D plastic would not cross my mind like ever.. it’s just a bad idea. But what do I know, I’ve only been a machinist for 12years

Last edited by RockCrawlingKid; 09-07-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:28 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Why? Plastic would deform quickly leading to failure. That would be the last place I would look to reduce rotating mass and rotational drag. If you haven’t done so already I would get rid of the transmission and make it direct drive with a buggy centre diff or something of the sorts. Changing a diff to a 3D plastic would not cross my mind like ever.. it’s just a bad idea. But what do I know, I’ve only been a machinist for 12years

It is a dual motor direct drive but I would think that since its in car differentials that it is fine for a rc car?

Old 09-07-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It is a dual motor direct drive but I would think that since its in car differentials that it is fine for a rc car?

Try it then. Unless you can hold tolerances less than .0015in on your printer and can print a material that’s stronger than aluminum you’ll only be making things worse... a lot worse. Getting your plastic gears to mesh correctly and have less friction than a properly meshed hardened steel gear set will be far to much work for a substandard result.. Porsche or whoever has spent billions on R and D into 3D printing and I doubt anyone on this forum has a printer that can do what your thinking let alone have any success

Old 09-07-2020, 04:46 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Try it then. Unless you can hold tolerances less than .0015in on your printer and can print a material that’s stronger than aluminum you’ll only be making things worse... a lot worse. Getting your plastic gears to mesh correctly and have less friction than a properly meshed hardened steel gear set will be far to much work for a substandard result.. Porsche or whoever has spent billions on R and D into 3D printing and I doubt anyone on this forum has a printer that can do what your thinking let alone have any success

Ok lets see how it goes then also the real car diff was printed on a ender 3 I believe from nylon x

Old 09-07-2020, 04:51 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ok lets see how it goes then also the real car diff was printed on a ender 3 I believe from nylon x

Prove me wrong! I just know I’ve replaced every plastic gear/ rotating assembly piece that’s ever came on an rc and replaced it with the appropriate aluminum or hardened steel piece. Rotational friction of your current set up is what you need to reduce.

Old 09-07-2020, 04:53 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Prove me wrong! I just know I’ve replaced every plastic gear/ rotating assembly piece that’s ever came on an rc and replaced it with the appropriate aluminum or hardened steel piece. Rotational friction of your current set up is what you need to reduce.

Alright well lets see if i can prove u wrong thanks for ur feedback tho

Old 09-07-2020, 06:08 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

lets not forget you've said this will be on 12S, thats a tall fricken order that even the metal gears may struggle with. If the gears can hold up they'll be fighting friction and heat and I can see them fusing together if they can hold up for a while.

I'd love to be proven wrong, that would be cool. But it looks like this could be one of those "what do you guys recommend so I can ignore it" type threads.

Much of what Porsche and other big manufactures use for printing is on super high dollar machines.

Do you have a link to some info on their plastic gears? I am curious.

I do tons of 3D printing BTW so dont take me as a 3D printed part hater.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 09-07-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
lets not forget you've said this will be on 12S, thats a tall fricken order that even the metal gears may struggle with. If the gears can hold up they'll be fighting friction and heat and I can see them fusing together if they can hold up for a while.

I'd love to be proven wrong, that would be cool. But it looks like this could be one of those "what do you guys recommend so I can ignore it" type threads.

Much of what Porsche and other big manufactures use for printing is on super high dollar machines.

Do you have a link to some info on their plastic gears? I am curious.
Porsche is the one making pistons for their engine and I saw a nylon x diff on yt

Porsche 3d printed pistons https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news...or-911-gt2-rs/

3d printed differentials https://youtu.be/7kd4ZLn-Ouw

3d printed lifting a car https://youtu.be/Z2XkdLy9pxE

And this tread was that I wanted to know what u guys thought about it not recommendations but still open to it no hate.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:35 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Porsche is the one making pistons for their engine and I saw a nylon x diff on yt

Porsche 3d printed pistons https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news...or-911-gt2-rs/

3d printed differentials https://youtu.be/7kd4ZLn-Ouw

3d printed lifting a car https://youtu.be/Z2XkdLy9pxE

And this tread was that I wanted to know what u guys thought about it not recommendations but still open to it no hate.

Companies like Porsche are using multimillion dollar cutting edge of technology machines that might not be available to the average person

P.S. the guy who 3d printed a car different said a plastic diff was a bad idea at 8:07(minute)in the video

Last edited by jcanuck; 09-07-2020 at 06:39 PM.
jcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanuck View Post
Companies like Porsche are using multimillion dollar cutting edge of technology machines that might not be available to the average person

P.S. the guy who 3d printed a car different said a plastic diff was a bad idea at 8:07(minute)in the video
the car diff held up for a while the only thing im worried about is the gear teeth thickness and layer adhesion which hopefully i will find a work around any comment on the car lift/ transmission lift?

Old 09-08-2020, 04:59 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Where the hell do you race a 12s 6x6!?
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:13 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
Where the hell do you race a 12s 6x6!?
A race track where it can embarrass any touring car

Old 09-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

hmmmm I hope your not a betting man.

Last thing I'll point out is the size of the output shaft on the pinion, is a meager 5mm diameter and has a 3mm hole running through it. this area will be extrememly weak.

The axle shafts will also need something to key the tangs into and plastic wont cut it.

so at the very minumum you'll need metal outputs as well as a metal spool at which point..... why not just keep the metal gears.

Monthly Mayhem might have inspired this and if so I say great, go have some fun. But if you're trying to be competitive the only thing getting embarassed at the track will be you, no offense I'm just being realistic.

Just look at how much the TRX6 struggles with going straight and staying off its roof on a mere 4S-6S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg9b...ilder%27sGuild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Zi...=HarleyDesigns

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 09-08-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Last thing I'll point out is the size of the output shaft on the pinion, is a meager 5mm diameter and has a 3mm hole running through it. this area will be extrememly weak.

The axle shafts will also need something to key the tangs into and plastic wont cut it.

so at the very minumum you'll need metal outputs as well as a metal spool at which point..... why not just keep the metal gears.

Monthly Mayhem might have inspired this and if so I say great, go have some fun. But if you're trying to be competitive the only thing getting embarassed at the track will be you, no offense I'm just being realistic.

Just look at how much the TRX6 struggles with going straight and staying off its roof on a mere 4S-6S

I believe that if I get this light enough with the right shock oil downforce, rwd "for turn in response", super low cg and the correct active suspension tuning it will be just fine on the track also "I have a downforce idea that I will save for my next topic" And I had this idea but I wanted to save do this after my other air suspension trx6 build and the monthly Mayhem jumpstarted the project. And I will think about the output shaft weakness.

Last edited by jemelumadu2; 09-08-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:00 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

And I had this idea but I wanted to save do this after my other air suspension trx6 build and the monthly Mayhem jumpstarted the project. And I will think about the output shaft weakness.

3d printed differentials - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Differentials jeeptec Axial SCX-10 5 05-23-2017 01:24 PM
MRC Differentials? Blazerbogger Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 02-25-2015 11:28 AM
waterproofing differentials rick_c Tools, and Procedures 7 02-02-2011 08:01 PM
Why locking the differentials? kc092755 Newbie General 7 08-30-2009 10:46 AM