RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   Active suspension trx6/4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/620902-active-suspension-trx6-4-a.html)

jemelumadu2 09-10-2020 04:10 PM

Active suspension trx6/4

Hey guys I have an idea for active suspension to complete my race trx6 and i need help with the servo burning out or being too stiff thoughts?

Active suspension scx10 https://youtu.be/9ynjglfqH04https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c7a86b151f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

RockCrawlingKid 09-10-2020 06:23 PM

Active suspension trx6/4

That looks cool. To keep from burning out I would start by moving the servo so its pivot point is vertically aligned with your shock mount on the axle. And have the servo arm running parallel to the shock. This would position the servo to take an axial load vs a rotational( ie torque) loading. Idk just my thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jemelumadu2 09-10-2020 06:25 PM

Re: Active suspension trx6/4

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCrawlingKid (Post 6043880)
That looks cool. To keep from burning out I would start by moving the servo so its pivot point is vertically aligned with your shock mount on the axle. And have the servo arm running parallel to the shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree definitely that would help

HumboldtEF 09-10-2020 07:03 PM

I dont know what servo you have but basic low budget servos often lack overload protections. When a servo is loaded up it can have a runaway situation where the amperage (I may be mixing this part up) increases, the servo gets hotter, the hotter it gets the more amperage it draws and on and on until the magic smoke is let out. John Ron Holmes explained this once in a much more accurate way.

But to summarize cheap servos lack overload protection where as most nice servos (read more expensive) do have this protection built in.

I've done this myself by parking a rig on flat ground, leaving it on with a tiny load on the servo, came back 10-15 minutes later and the servo would no longer respond.

Also make sure your end points are good.

EDIT: what did you mean by the servo being too stiff?

jemelumadu2 09-10-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumboldtEF (Post 6043893)
I dont know what servo you have but basic low budget servos often lack overload protections. When a servo is loaded up it can have a runaway situation where the amperage (I may be mixing this part up) increases, the servo gets hotter, the hotter it gets the more amperage it draws and on and on until the magic smoke is let out. John Ron Holmes explained this once in a much more accurate way.

But to summarize cheap servos lack overload protection where as most nice servos (read more expensive) do have this protection built in.

I've done this myself by parking a rig on flat ground, leaving it on with a tiny load on the servo, came back 10-15 minutes later and the servo would no longer respond.

Also make sure your end points are good.

This servo was just a test to see if my idea worked im going to use some fast servo and strap a fan on it.

mass-hole 09-11-2020 10:01 PM

This would be absolutely epic for side hilling, climbing, descending. Great idea.

jebster 09-12-2020 05:29 AM

I love the idea and think it could have some practical applications. One concern I would have is raising the cg with the added servo weight is probably going to negate the benefits. Then my brain starting pondering how you could get that servo weight down low. How about a cantilever setup? Have the servos down low near the tranny. Have the cantilever arm placed near the existing shock mount. Servo connects to the cantilever via a link. With the cantilever you can make the lever arms different lengths. For example, if the side that connects to the servo is longer you could actually go with a lower torque servo.

I was also thinking in this setup you could use springs attached to the servo arm as helpers to reduce the tension on the servo if you have a default ride height.

jemelumadu2 09-12-2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebster (Post 6044100)
I love the idea and think it could have some practical applications. One concern I would have is raising the cg with the added servo weight is probably going to negate the benefits. Then my brain starting pondering how you could get that servo weight down low. How about a cantilever setup? Have the servos down low near the tranny. Have the cantilever arm placed near the existing shock mount. Servo connects to the cantilever via a link. With the cantilever you can make the lever arms different lengths. For example, if the side that connects to the servo is longer you could actually go with a lower torque servo.

I was also thinking in this setup you could use springs attached to the servo arm as helpers to reduce the tension on the servo if you have a default ride height.

Servos are light so I don't know what ur getting at

jebster 09-12-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemelumadu2 (Post 6044121)
Servos are light so I don't know what ur getting at

I would consider 4 servos up on top of the chassis rails heavy. Most of us work hard to reduce weight up high on our rigs so the cg stays low, which improves stability.

I was just visualizing other configuration options.

jemelumadu2 09-12-2020 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebster (Post 6044124)
I would consider 4 servos up on top of the chassis rails heavy. Most of us work hard to reduce weight up high on our rigs so the cg stays low, which improves stability.

I was just visualizing other configuration options.

Yea I was trying to visualize it to but I couldn't find a mounting position