Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: How do lights on a real 1:1 '79 Bronco work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question How do lights on a real 1:1 '79 Bronco work?

Hello,
and i apologize if it's common knowledge or posted somewhere, i couldn't find it.
Fyi, i am from Germany, and cars over here have a different light scheme since at least the seventies.

I am wondering how all the lamps on a real '79 Bronco work because i want to make my model behave like a real one.

Can someone tell me how all the lamps work, which wattage they have, when they light up, and how strong?

e.g. do the front beams have a parking light? We have 55W low beam, 60W high beam (sometimes both filaments in one lamp, sometimes two lamps) and a separate 5W parking light bulb, that sometimes is integrated in the main reflector.
What type of lamps were used in the '79? Were they halogens?

How do the side lamps work? Do they flash with the indicators, and if so: how?
Do they always light up, or only when the main light is on?

Same for the red rear lights: They are rear, brake and indicator all in one. We have 5W rear and 21W brake in a two filament lamp, but the indicators are extra 21W.
How does this work on a vintage american car?
amigaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: How do lights on a real 1:1 '79 Bronco work?

Here's how it's set on my 79 Mustang, shouldn't be very different on the Bronco of the same year.
_ headlights : sealed-beams 45-55W outside, 55W inside (not applicable on the Bronco of course) ... exports varies (mine was sold new in Switzerland so had H4 55/60W outside and H1 60W inside).
_ front turn-signal : in the same housing as the parking-light with a 5w/21w bulb (some cars had dedicated bulb per function but looks like it's the same dual-filament configuration on the 79 Bronco)
_ side markers (aka side lamps) : 5w bulb, amber front, red rear, on from parking lights ... they are not turn-signal repeaters, they don't blink.
_ rear backup lamps : 21W
_ rear parking/turn/stop : 2x5W/21W per side

Rear is the funky US scheme ... no matter how many bulbs they used.
_ when braking : 21W on
_ when turning : 21W on/off on the side where turning, off on the other side
_ when turning and braking : 21W off/on on the side where turning, on on the other side
_ when using hazards : both side 21W on/off
_ when using hazards and braking : 21W off/on ... on both side (so no more braking information)

No rear fog lamp, there's no fog in the US. If front fog lamps, then the are as close as possible to the median line of the vehicule, as recessed as possible if in the bumper, and lighting white ... because wth is fog ?

Last edited by tuxstang; 09-28-2020 at 12:39 PM.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:55 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Wow, thanks a lot.
So the white headlights on the american Bronco are 45/55 dual-filament non halogen low/high beam, and the orange lights are "5W park/21W turn" dual-filament?

You really helped me with the funky rear scheme ;)
You wrote on/off when turning, but off/on @ tuning/braking. Does that mean the front and rear lamps blink synchronous when not braking but alternating when braking?

Also, i saw you're in France. Is your car modified for european standards? Here in Germany even old cars need to have their lights modified, that's why i asked here...
Old 09-28-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Headlights could be hallogen, it was a matter of checking the option box when available, but their wattage was almost the same. EU headlights had a higher wattage back then and when converting to H4, it was mandatory to add relays to power the headlights, or you could end up driving stealth because the headlight switch overheated and its security switched the headlights off.

For rear blinking, i use on/off to mean that the blinking sequence lights the bulb, while when applying the brakes and turning, the blinking sequence shuts off the brake signal, so off/on.
Never paid attention if it stays synchronous front/rear ... and won't have the opportunity to check until I've finished rebuilding the transmission.

My Mustang is under the french collection car status so I'm not entitled to the actual lighting regulations... hence I have white h4 headlights and belgium specific clear park/turn to match my clear Marshal fogs, while the rear are originals, with the original lighting scheme ... plus some flashers front and rear because it's a 79 Pace Car ...

(a few years ago, before I killed the engine)

Last edited by tuxstang; 09-28-2020 at 04:08 PM.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Oh, nice!
I hope you get it back on the streets!

Tags
1:1, bronco, full size, light, lights

How do lights on a real 1:1 '79 Bronco work? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Real Bronco Mnstersbro 1.9 Scale Rigs 139 01-22-2015 05:15 AM
real scale 4x4 lights alanpineapple Scale Accessories 31 03-07-2011 09:22 PM
My real Bronco Ty@Tekin Chit Chat 12 12-30-2009 07:35 PM