Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Power switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Power switch

What’s everyone’s thoughts on eliminating the power switch?
I’m running a first generation mamba x, so it’s about 5 years old and has been in many different vehicles in its life. It still works perfectly except the little rubber cover on the switch is torn.
The other day my truck slipped off a rock and was submerged.
Afterwards I started having problems with the esc randomly restarting. Today I opened up the receiver box and everything is dry. My opinion is the switch is shorting out. So do I replace it or eliminate it?
Now it’s dried out everything works as should. Also whenever I shut it off I always disconnect the battery.
PFongemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Power switch

The switch on the Mamba X is really flaky. I removed mine when I started having issues. That was over a year ago and it's been great ever since. I also removed the fan.
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Power switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashNSlash View Post
The switch on the Mamba X is really flaky. I removed mine when I started having issues. That was over a year ago and it's been great ever since. I also removed the fan.

I also removed the fan when I water proofed it with dielectric grease before I installed it.

Last edited by PFongemie; 10-12-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Is it a real switch, or is it a button?

If it is a switch, chances are it's "wrong around": shorting it cuts the power to the model, opening it switches the model on.
Either way, you could cut wires and either isolate or bridge them.
Personally i don't like always-on models because to rebind the Rx it's convenient to have the button and not need to replug the battery plug, but technically on a real switch system it's not a problem.

If it's a momentary button you're gonna have a problem cutting it... ;)
amigaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

It’s a real switch. I cut it out and soldered the wires together. All is good now. Time to go back and conquer the rock that I fell from
Old 10-12-2020, 08:39 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigaman View Post
Is it a real switch, or is it a button?

If it is a switch, chances are it's "wrong around": shorting it cuts the power to the model, opening it switches the model on.
Either way, you could cut wires and either isolate or bridge them.
Personally i don't like always-on models because to rebind the Rx it's convenient to have the button and not need to replug the battery plug, but technically on a real switch system it's not a problem.

If it's a momentary button you're gonna have a problem cutting it... ;)
Very good point here!

The HW1080, which is a very popular replacement for the stock XL5-HV has an integrated mode button and power switch. This is something that you would not want to cut because your ESC likely would not work properly. However, in the case of the Mamba, it is just a 2-wire, plain-jane single pole, single throw on/off switch.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:35 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I've found the switches to he the weak point of Castle esc's. I cut the switch off and solder the wires together when new to prevent the issue you had.

The switch on my HW1080 has somehow survived for years now under its protective booty. It's certainly been submerged enough to kill a regular switch.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I cut the switches off all my Castle ESC's before I even install them. Can't do that with Trx or HW but it's non-negotiable on Castle ESC's imo.

Every time I've ever tried to leave a switch in place it's failed and I have to cut it off in the field anyways, I'd rather do it at home where I can make it nice & tidy.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:56 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
I cut the switches off all my Castle ESC's before I even install them. Can't do that with Trx or HW but it's non-negotiable on Castle ESC's imo.
You don't need to, those TRX and HW are waterproof. Castle mostly not. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Every time I've ever tried to leave a switch in place it's failed and I have to cut it off in the field anyways, I'd rather do it at home where I can make it nice & tidy.
But don't forget to mention that's because of your abuse. I had several ESCs with switches over the decades, none had Problems with the switch that weren't caused by water/mud or crashes.
amigaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I’ve had zero problems with getting my Mamba X wet. It’s even been submerged for 15 minutes in 5ft of water. Failed a pond crossing when it was in my slash. It’s a first edition so it’s about 5 years old and has been in about the same amount of vehicles. It’s been heavily abused. Only just recently the switch boot tore and that’s when I started having water problems. So as far as I believe with my years of use the Mamba X is waterproof. It even says so in the description on there website.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:06 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, they also say "not intended for usage while fully suhmerged", or some bs like that. The reality is that the esc works fine when wet, the dimunitive switches eventually fail due to corrosion or crud in them.

I'm not going to claim I don't abuse my electronics, because i certainly do. I'll just say that the only real side effect has been switch related.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Power switch - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power switch for sidewinder3 Espo Electronics 46 07-05-2016 08:35 AM
Need a power switch...help! Nelstrodomous Electronics 2 06-11-2009 11:15 PM
Adding Power Switch maxxa87 Electronics 6 06-11-2009 08:42 PM
switch wiring for power, do u switch - or + toy4crawlin Electronics 3 09-09-2008 04:59 AM
power switch problem SlammedMini469 General Crawlers 14 05-13-2006 10:24 PM