RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   Trax (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/621577-trax.html)

PFongemie 10-20-2020 10:45 AM

Trax

Who’s running them and what’s your opinion? I have the chance to pick up a set really cheep.

smog 10-20-2020 10:56 AM

Re: Trax

I run them on snow, not otherwise. They are tons of fun in winter up here.

The quality of the Traxxas Trax are excellent. They do require a little bit of maintenance if you are getting them wet, but nothing deal breaking.

Edit : eye candy?

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/membe...4578-67641.jpg

crazee horse 10-24-2020 04:48 PM

Great pic buddy ��

meatmonkey 10-26-2020 06:33 PM

Winters coming soon. As a snomobile enthusiast, these are tempting me.

What kind of maintenance are we talking? How many bearings does each track use? I'll keep them out of dirt/mud, strictly for snow use.

I know Traxxas' official statement is to only use them in low gear with rtr electronics, but will the tracks themselves tolerate bombing around in 2nd?

smog 10-26-2020 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meatmonkey (Post 6050298)
Winters coming soon. As a snomobile enthusiast, these are tempting me.

What kind of maintenance are we talking? How many bearings does each track use? I'll keep them out of dirt/mud, strictly for snow use.

I know Traxxas' official statement is to only use them in low gear with rtr electronics, but will the tracks themselves tolerate bombing around in 2nd?

After running them, and letting the snow melt out of the mechanism I use a light bearing oil on all of the idler wheel bushings and bearings. I can’t remember how many actual bearing there are, but not many. It takes me all of 5 minutes to do it. It’s really not a big deal but likely needs to be done to prevent corrosion.

Mine is powered by a 2700kv Puller Pro on 3s, my sons is on stock Sport RTR electronics. As you can imagine, the Puller Pro is much more fun :ror:

Neither of us have the two speed trans.

Edit: here is some video footage running in deep snow during a snowfall

https://youtu.be/F3usvlKVo30

smog 10-26-2020 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazee horse (Post 6050035)
Great pic buddy ��

Thank you

PFongemie 10-27-2020 04:35 AM

Will they work with brass upgrades? I have 150g of SSD portal covers on my front.

smog 10-27-2020 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFongemie (Post 6050341)
Will they work with brass upgrades? I have 150g of SSD portal covers on my front.

I expect so. They Traxx mechanism itself is quite heavy so I haven’t added any other weight. Couldn’t say for certain for that reason.

PFongemie 10-30-2020 06:09 PM

Update: the TRAXX do not work with SSD portal covers.
Also I’m not to impressed with them. I’ll have to try them out again when the snows deeper and there’s banks to climb.

meatmonkey 10-30-2020 07:25 PM

I'm impressed with smogs video. Are those the deep lug version?

Is there any issues with damp spring snow jamming them up?

At this point im just looking for excuses to not get them. I dont mind oiling bearings. I already have to oil cvd's and such because otherwise Vermont turns everything rusty in no time.

crazee horse 11-01-2020 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFongemie (Post 6050852)
Update: the TRAXX do not work with SSD portal covers.
Also I’m not to impressed with them. I’ll have to try them out again when the snows deeper and there’s banks to climb.

Well you gotta post a reason?

jcanuck 11-01-2020 02:24 AM

I haven`t used the deep treads,but in snow the traxx out perform any tire.

PFongemie 11-01-2020 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazee horse (Post 6051034)
Well you gotta post a reason?

The clips for the little shock don’t fit over the brass. There to wide. Either mod them by making them slimmer or reinstall the original plastic covers.
I’m going to get a extra set of axles with locked up diffs and just switch the axles out when I want to run the Traxx

smog 11-01-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meatmonkey (Post 6050861)

At this point im just looking for excuses to not get them. I dont mind oiling bearings. I already have to oil cvd's and such because otherwise Vermont turns everything rusty in no time.

I believe I am running the regular track in the video. I did switch over to the deep lug, but they only arrived at my LHS at the end of winter so got limited time on them. I will say this, the time I did get on them made it obvious that they provided better performance. The lugs are substantially longer. I will post up a comparative image...

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/membe...4578-67798.jpg

The only issue I have ever had with these is in snow melting temps. If wet snow packs into the mechanism that the rubber track mates with it can lead to track slippage. I always make sure to leave the rig outside to cool to air temp before I hit the snow.

As far as performance in snow goes, these can’t even be compared to a tire. It would be the equivalent of comparing a snowmobile to a car by attempting to drive through a snow covered field.

Here is some video footage of the deep lugged Traxx. I shot this towards the end of winter after much of the snow had melted away. Snow wasn’t nearly as deep, but the deep-traxx were making short work of what was there.
https://youtu.be/qbVvmh9U9sU

Benp 11-01-2020 09:20 AM

Trax

I’d say from 3” on up of snow, tracks absolutely come into their own due to the increased flotation. Maybe even less snow than that.

If you’re only going to be using the tracks in snow, by all means get the deep lug for better traction like a mountain sled has. The short lug tracks seem to be for multi terrain or minimal snow like on skid steers or trail sleds.

Also, imo, you don’t want any additional weight up front such as brass. I feel it will cause the front to ride lower in the snow when you want the chassis up and out of it.

@smog , very cool videos!

The tracks did awesome in both types of snow conditions, dry powder and spring/hero snow.

The first one where the truck bailed off the deck and got after it was awesome!!!

Looked like a lot of fun!

Egsise 11-02-2020 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meatmonkey (Post 6050861)

I tried them once when it was cold and snowing, the tracks jammed in five minutes. I have more fun with tyres, you just have to pick when and where to drive.
Traxx are good for flat surface, with tyres you can climb on piles of snow.
Tyres can be much much lighter which helps the car float.
https://youtu.be/taEUASBLSo8

Inspector86 11-02-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egsise (Post 6051155)
I tried them once when it was cold and snowing, the tracks jammed in five minutes. I have more fun with tyres, you just have to pick when and where to drive.
Traxx are good for flat surface, with tyres you can climb on piles of snow.
Tyres can be much much lighter which helps the car float.
https://youtu.be/taEUASBLSo8

Before driving any tracked vehicle in snow you have to let it set outside and normalize to the ambient temperature otherwise it just melts snow on the drive system then refreezes on the drive making it no fun at all. I don't have the Traxxas Trax but I do have a Blizzard which is a tracked vehicle and it has to be temperature normalized to the outside air for about two hours before driving in snow other wise the tracks just jam.

smog 11-02-2020 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inspector86 (Post 6051234)
before driving any tracked vehicle in snow you have to let it set outside and normalize to the ambient temperature otherwise it just melts snow on the drive system then refreezes on the drive making it no fun at all. I don't have the traxxas trax but i do have a blizzard which is a tracked vehicle and it has to be temperature normalized to the outside air for about two hours before driving in snow other wise the tracks just jam.

100%

Egsise 11-04-2020 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector86 (Post 6051234)
Before driving any tracked vehicle in snow you have to let it set outside and normalize to the ambient temperature otherwise it just melts snow on the drive system then refreezes on the drive making it no fun at all. I don't have the Traxxas Trax but I do have a Blizzard which is a tracked vehicle and it has to be temperature normalized to the outside air for about two hours before driving in snow other wise the tracks just jam.

REALLY.
It's snow here from october to may, I never would've guessed that.

PFongemie 11-05-2020 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector86 (Post 6051234)

I would have never thought of that. Learn something new every day.