RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   Does anyone else wish there was a 4wd/2wd switch for the TRX? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/621802-does-anyone-else-wish-there-4wd-2wd-switch-trx.html)

TRX4 11-02-2020 06:17 PM

Does anyone else wish there was a 4wd/2wd switch for the TRX?

Maybe im alone here, but i always thought it would be awesome to see a 2wd/4wd switch on the trx4. Im into the realistic looking/driving aspects of the TRX4 and that mostly why i went with this crawler.

OSRC 11-02-2020 06:24 PM

Re: Does anyone else wish there was a 4wd/2wd switch for the TRX?

I've made a few trucks 2/4wd... unfortunately it doesn't scale down well. With a lot of weight in the front, the rear tires tend to sit and spin on anything but a high traction surface.

I agree with the concept though - I love the scale driving of the TRX platform. I only use the diff lock if I absolutely need to.

TRX4 11-02-2020 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSRC (Post 6051324)
I've made a few trucks 2/4wd... unfortunately it doesn't scale down well. With a lot of weight in the front, the rear tires tend to sit and spin on anything but a high traction surface.

I agree with the concept though - I love the scale driving of the TRX platform. I only use the diff lock if I absolutely need to.

I noticed that when i pulled my driveshafts just for giggles. It had very limited grip especially on smoother surfaces! It was almost annoying how it couldnt really scale anything short of a pebble but at the same time it would still be a cool feature, as trivial as it sounds :lol:

ScaleLifeNewbie 11-02-2020 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRX4 (Post 6051323)
Maybe im alone here, but i always thought it would be awesome to see a 2wd/4wd switch on the trx4. Im into the realistic looking/driving aspects of the TRX4 and that mostly why i went with this crawler.

I used to wish it had one, but realistically, it would be left in 4wd most the time, for me at least. But o do like the idea. Wonder how hard it would be to pull it off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kage 11-03-2020 06:49 AM

If you are not driving a spot, unlock your diffs. I do that sometimes to increase the challenge.

TheLetterJ 11-03-2020 09:37 AM

If you really want it, you can use a Wraith transmission (or really, anything with dig) and install it backwards. Having dig in neutral would allow rear wheel drive, then 4wd, and locked would act as a line lock for super sweet burnouts. I could see the Wraith dig being a bit sketchy since the neutral zone is very narrow and bouncing along at speed in 2wd might involuntarily knock the shifter to a different position since the servo mount/case are not all that rigid. An aluminum housing would probably take care of that concern, but a VP dig setup might be the better choice there. I've seen a few guys (OSRC?) do exactly this on other vehicle platforms.

OSRC 11-04-2020 07:02 AM

Yessir. I ground off the locking nubs for the dig so there was no chance of accidentally locking the front wheels.

Gula 11-04-2020 09:42 AM

I have comverted a LCC tranny to have these functions: Fwd, 4wd, Rwd. It would most likely have to be a custom install, but this is on any customized vehicle.

Levi 11-09-2020 02:42 PM

Nope can't say I wish it had 2wd/4wd mode. Keep it simple, besides I'd rather have 4wd for my trucks.

Stomp 11-09-2020 11:01 PM

Not here. I see no reason to have 2wd/4wd on a crawler. We are not driving long distances on pavement to go crawl. No reason to need 2wd in my opinion. Just more complication to the truck. KISS

ScaleLifeNewbie 11-09-2020 11:21 PM

Does anyone else wish there was a 4wd/2wd switch for the TRX?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levi (Post 6052379)
Nope can't say I wish it had 2wd/4wd mode. Keep it simple, besides I'd rather have 4wd for my trucks.

Yeah, any extra electronics would be way too much

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stomp (Post 6052474)
Not here. I see no reason to have 2wd/4wd on a crawler. We are not driving long distances on pavement to go crawl. No reason to need 2wd in my opinion. Just more complication to the truck. KISS

Agreed. I really can’t see myself using it at all. Sometimes, I forget about my diffs lmao.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MAGNUMB 10-26-2023 12:33 PM

They wait is over! Someone now makes this. Check out Ampro YT channel for 2wd/4wd TRX-4

high plains drifter 10-26-2023 09:05 PM

Goro Majima 10-26-2023 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAGNUMB (Post 6142631)
They wait is over! Someone now makes this. Check out Ampro YT channel for 2wd/4wd TRX-4

I'm on the list for order on their Discord.

meatmonkey 10-28-2023 07:21 AM

You can select 2wd with a VFD twin transmission. I've found 2wd remarkably useless, especially since the front diff is spooled.