Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX-4 Issues with 8062/8061 Axle Shaft Portal Drive Gears?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default TRX-4 Issues with 8062/8061 Axle Shaft Portal Drive Gears?????

Traxxas 8062 /8061 Axle Shaft Front and back Heavy Duty Portal Drive Input Gear Left & Right Machined Assembled (2)

so my Honey Comp Crawler Rig is doing great super capable and I finally installed the Hot Racing Differential Gears Overdrive front and stock in the back and its amazing and I went ahead and installed these heavy duty portal drive gears and on the first run the rig had a lot of trouble getting up what was normally something easy and felt like it was slipping!!!!
ANYBODY come across this????
For Sure its these portal gear shafts are what has made the rig now weak so im goin to go back to the heavy duty driveshafts and protal gears I had before....

BUZZZZZZZ..... BUZZZZZZ.......
Attached Images

Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TRX-4 Issues with 8062/8061 Axle Shaft Portal Drive Gears?????

So I did another test run before heading to the rocks and the rig is still running a little funny WITH THE TRAXXAAS OUTPUT GEARS AND SHAFTS but is handling and pulling a lot better than the first run and probably the gears need a couple hours of breaking in as the front was a little rough when installed the overdrive gear and after 2 hrs of climbing it was very smooth when turning the wheels!!!!

Today the day started pretty nasty in Nashville but the SUN is out and im going to head out and find some dry rocks and give this truck and these gears a real WORKOUT like a BEE..... BUZZZZZ......

Hopefully can catch another vid as we are working on another reggae song for the vid!!!!! BUZZZZZZZ.......
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

the rig..... BUZZZZZZZ......
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #4

I'm not sure I understand your issue. These are gears, there is nothing in there to "slip".
Red_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I agree, I read through this earlier and dont understand either. Were you driving with open diffs and didn't realize it?

Can you clarify whats going on or take a video?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Could there be some binding somewhere and the slipper clutch is the part that's slipping?
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:04 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Hey everybody thanks for the the comments first of all I slipped when I used the word slipped I should have said it was acting like the gears were loose but that day I don't know if I was stoned but the Rig that is so functional that day I tried it was just slacking big time and basically not giving me much torque and yes the diffs were locked so went back checked everything all looked good and then tried the Rig out again and voila magic running better than ever!!! Now im not sure but tell me if this is correct the beveled Hot Racing Diff gears
front and rear I installed were not spinning smoothly with unlocked diffs but after a couple runs they are smooth! so I guess my question is do the gears need a break-in period????

here is a vid of the current capability of this rig.... BUZZZZZ.......

Old 11-18-2020, 06:56 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Diff gears dont really need a break in but sometimes they benefit from being run, this in my eyes has more to do with fully seating the gears/bearings. I often chuck up a drill to the output shaft on newly built axles and run them for a little bit to fully seat things.

If you do have issues with the diff gear meshing nicely you can shim the diff. I do this on almost all of my rigs as most have side to side play on the ring gear and in out play on the pinion (though on some rigs like the SCX10.2 hooking up the driveshaft fixes that).

I will say if you try a specific line multiple times you may end up with different results. I have a granite countertop slab (flipped over so it has some texture) thats propped up as a ramp on my backyard course. its just about the most consistent rock I can crawl on yet depending on the temperature, humidity and specific line I run on I'm constantly getting different results. Tire testing also runs into the same issues in that its almost impossible to test a single line, you really need a bigger picture of a long run and trying many, many lines.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 11-18-2020 at 07:02 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:56 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Diff gears dont really need a break in but sometimes they benefit from being run, this in my eyes has more to do with fully seating the gears/bearings. I often chuck up a drill to the output shaft on newly built axles and run them for a little bit to fully seat things.

If you do have issues with the diff gear meshing nicely you can shim the diff. I do this on almost all of my rigs as most have side to side play on the ring gear and in out play on the pinion (though on some rigs like the SCX10.2 hooking up the driveshaft fixes that).

I will say if you try a specific line multiple times you may end up with different results. I have a granite countertop slab (flipped over so it has some texture) thats propped up as a ramp on my backyard course. its just about the most consistent rock I can crawl on yet depending on the temperature, humidity and specific line I run on I'm constantly getting different results. Tire testing also runs into the same issues in that its almost impossible to test a single line, you really need a bigger picture of a long run and trying many, many lines.

HumboldtEF. Thanks for all the good RCshop advice and yes those gears could have used a couple spins on that drill for sure and you are dead on with conditions changing everything I think its because here in Nashville weather goes up and down like crazy and I think moisture humidity was an issue that dy! but the gears for sure were not smooth like they are now after 3 good runs...

the only thing I was little weirded out by was when I installed the Traxxas input portal gears and shafts to both front and back before installing into axle housing I spun the stub axles to feel the smoothness and the shafts wobbled a lot that concerned me I might have a slight bend on one of those axle shafts???? BUZZZZZZ...... ALOHA.......
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Excellent advice Humboldt!!!

I 110% agree!

I experience this all the time with my granite walls that are non shaded.

One day it’s decent traction and next day it’s like glass.

Part of the fun (and sometimes frustration ) though.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX-4 Issues with 8062/8061 Axle Shaft Portal Drive Gears????? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drive shaft issues crazee horse Axial SCX-10 10 08-14-2016 09:14 AM
best way to join a rwvo drive shaft to the output shaft on the axle TRAV Kyosho Crawlers 12 01-29-2012 07:37 PM
lnc drive shaft issues thundaar Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 04-03-2011 12:36 AM
Honcho drive shaft issues yodacralwer89 Axial SCX-10 9 01-05-2011 06:51 PM