Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Stomp's TRX4 Sport Kit Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Stomp's TRX4 Sport Kit Build

Just thought I would add my TRX4 Sport Kit build here as well. I have been really excited about this build. I have a post last year trying to decide between the TRX4 and the Capra. Both looks like fun rigs, but I decided to go with the TRX4 Sport.

I love my Vaterra Ascender that I built, but wanted to get a new truck with portals. Plus I have been curious since I got into crawlers to see what the TRX4 is all about. Now I finally get to try it out.

I am putting a Hobby Wing WP1080 ESC and a Holmes Hobbies Crawler 550 12T motor in it. I ordered a 45t spur and a 10t pinion to change out to. I will run a Goldbat 3s 1500mAh 100C battery. These have been giving me around an hour of so of crawling in my Ascender.

For the servo, I am just going to run a cheap Annimos 20kg servo that I have from Amazon which has worked fine in my Ascender. I will probably upgrade that later, but since I have a new one sitting in the drawer I figured I would use it.

I am not going to glue the tires onto the supplied wheel. I had bought a nice looking set of aluminum beadlocks, but they don't fit so I will have to figure something else out.

I am still waiting on parts, but got my Kit in today so started to build. I skipped over the transmission because I am waiting on my 45T spur gear. So I just finished building up both axles. It went together without any problems. The plastic seems a little soft compared to my Ascender, and seems like you could strip things out easily.

Anyways you guys have seen axles before, but here are mine.

Last edited by Stomp; 11-10-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Stomp's TRX4 Sport Kit Build

I would like to get this thing built so that I can run it some before we get a bunch of snow here in northern Minnesota. A month ago we got about 8 inches of snow, but it finally melted of two weeks ago. Hoping I have some time before more snow comes.

So I need to figure out what to build next while I wait on my motor, receiver, and 45t spur gear, and 10t pinion. Maybe paint the body, and start putting the frame together? I guess I could build the transmission and just leave the spur gear off for now.

Last edited by Stomp; 11-10-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I went ahead and built the transmission and just lightly installed the 39T spur for now until I get my 45t so that I do not lose the washers and stuff. It went together easily as well.

Last edited by Stomp; 11-10-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
I would like to get this thing built so that I can run it some before we get a bunch of snow here in northern Minnesota. A month ago we got about 8 inches of snow, but it finally melted of two weeks ago. Hoping I have some time before more snow comes.

So I need to figure out what to build next while I wait on my motor, receiver, and 45t spur gear, and 10t pinion. Maybe paint the body, and start putting the frame together? I guess I could build the transmission and just leave the spur gear off for now.

Northern Mn?

Where about?
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:10 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Northern Mn?

Where about?

Dang I spoke too soon. We got about 8 inches of snow since my last post. What the ?????

Anyways I will send you a PM about my whereabouts. Don't like that stuff out in the open with all the freaks on this forum who like playing with toy trucks. Just kidding!!!
Old 11-11-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Last night I built the frame and flipped the bumper mounts while I was at it. I also installed the links, filled the shocks, and mounted the axles. I forgot to bring in my servo from the shop so I did not install it yet. Pretty much I am now just waiting on the motor, pinion and spur gears, and receiver to get here. Guess I am done at this point. Think I will paint the body and set it up next. Oh and Yesterday when I said I hoped I could get it built before the snow falls, well last night it fell. Gerr....

Old 11-11-2020, 10:42 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Old 11-11-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

My Labradane was not impressed by the snow. All this fell in about 30 minutes. Got another 4-6 inches after I took this picture.

Old 11-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Nice build! She’s coming along!

Holy snow! We only had A heavy frost last nite.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:15 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

You should put the rear bumper mount on the front to get better approach angle. I’ve done it on mine and it works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:16 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
You should put the rear bumper mount on the front to get better approach angle. I’ve done it on mine and it works great.

I didn't think about that. Do you just swap the front and rear or run a rear bumper mount in both front and back? Do you have any pictures of how that works out? Thanks!!
Old 11-11-2020, 09:40 PM   #12
Gold Star Baby!

Good start! With the 45t spur and flipped mounts it sounds like you’ve done some research.

Congrats on the new build.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:48 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Good start! With the 45t spur and flipped mounts it sounds like you’ve done some research.

Congrats on the new build.
Thanks. I made a little more progress tonight. Pictures inbound.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I didn't think about that. Do you just swap the front and rear or run a rear bumper mount in both front and back? Do you have any pictures of how that works out? Thanks!!

Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures, but the best way is to do a rear mount on front and back so you have better approach and descent angle, but the front will work in the back too.

So yes, you can just swap them.

What spur are you running? I bought one off of Amain and it said it worked for the TRX4, but the bolt pattern was way off. I guess I should’ve known from the picture, but I didn’t lol.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 11-11-2020 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:13 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I got more done this evening. After flipping the front and rear bumper mounts, I then really needed to raise the rock sliders. I have seen some people use cylindrical tubes to do this, but that was just not refined enough for my tastes. So while at work today, I took a little break to quickly design a nice spacer that is fit to the existing parts.(I own my own business so I can get away with goofing off now and again.)

The spacer is a nice press fit that is not too hard to put on, but not loose either. With this design it makes for a very ridged setup. This raises the slider .550" from stock, and puts them just a hair above the floor pans for more then half an inch of extra side clearance.

I 3D printed them in red that matches the rest of the red on the truck. I had planned to paint the body a metallic blue, but I see a red and black theme going on so maybe I need to paint the body to match. Anyways here are a few more pictures.

Old 11-11-2020, 11:16 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures, but the best way is to do a rear mount on front and back so you have better approach and descent angle, but the front will work in the back too.

So yes, you can just swap them.

What spur are you running? I bought one off of Amain and it said it worked for the TRX4, but the bolt pattern was way off. I guess I should’ve known from the picture, but I didn’t lol.

Maybe I will look into getting an extra rear bumper mount to put on the front. One thing I am also considering is cutting the back part of the frame rails to shorten it up a bit.

I ordered a Traxxas 8053 45T Spur, and Traxxas 6746 10T pinion.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:23 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Maybe I will look into getting an extra rear bumper mount to put on the front. One thing I am also considering is cutting the back part of the frame rails to shorten it up a bit.

I ordered a Traxxas 8053 45T Spur, and Traxxas 6746 10T pinion.

Thanks for the part number

I too am considering to cut my frame since I’m doing a “fake truggy” using the Bronco body.

Yes, I think Red/black theme will look great! Just ask me lol. Can’t really see, but I have red springs, diff cover, and obviously the wheels. The body is a deep maroon and looks really good in sunlight, but looks black most the time.

Also, would you consider sharing the STL for the spacers? I would like use them for the sliders I’ll be printing.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 11-11-2020 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:27 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks for the part number

I too am considering to cut my frame since I’m doing a “fake truggy” using the Bronco body.

Glad to help. Yeah I think that the frame is just too long in the back for my liking. I will try it out first and see, but it looks like it will hang things up when crawling.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:29 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Here is what I am thinking of maybe for a paint theme minus all the loudness. LOL! I am thinking a more black bias with red accents maybe, just like the way the rest of the truck is.

Old 11-11-2020, 11:33 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Here is what I am thinking of maybe for a paint theme minus all the loudness. LOL! I am thinking a more black bias with red accents maybe, just like the way the rest of the truck is.

Yeah, I like that a lot.

I need that New Bright F150 body! (Well, not that exact one, I need a four door non Raptor.)i want to recreate a 1:1, but haven’t found any 09-14 f150 body. I would print one, but I don’t have the patience to design one from scratch.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 11-11-2020 at 11:38 PM.

Stomp's TRX4 Sport Kit Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
akumu - TRX4 Sport kit build v33 Traxxas TRX-4 9 04-24-2021 12:15 AM
Father/Son TRX4 Sport Kit Build Forker45 Traxxas TRX-4 27 07-04-2020 11:05 AM
trx4 sport kit build traxxas79k5 Traxxas TRX-4 0 05-20-2019 07:35 AM
Alex's TRX4 Sport kit build alexleblanc Traxxas TRX-4 13 05-06-2019 11:46 AM