Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Flex obsession

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2020, 06:14 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Flex obsession

Reading through forums & Facebook groups I’ve come to realize people are obsessed with getting the most flex from there rigs. I’m kinda confused on why. I was on the understanding that to much flex is bad. I purchased the Trx-4 because it’s a great trail truck with equally great rock crawling ability. With just a few simple mods it goes just about anywhere I want it to, and I don’t have much more flex then stock. If I’m in the mood to climb vertical rocks I’ll take out my MOA, but that’s not often because it’s no fun for trails.
So what’s with the obsession?
PFongemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2020, 07:04 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Flex obsession

Too much is a bad thing for sure. It's all cause it looks cool to be all flexed out. Some people don't care about function as long as their FB friends think it's cool. LMAO!!!!!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:51 AM   #3
Slow is the new Fast

Big flex bro! It’s all about getting your hind leg up on the spray can, so you can show off your truck nuts. The pissing dog....
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:20 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Big flex bro! It’s all about getting your hind leg up on the spray can, so you can show off your truck nuts. The pissing dog....

I don’t feel the need to show my truck nuts. I’d rather out pro-form on the rocks and trails
PFongemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:

That’s funny!!

But in all honesty, who cares.

One guy shows up with a Hot Yoga Flexer and another with a scale Jingle Truck, with all of the scale accessories including a couple of scale chickens and mima’s trunk on the roof of the Defender, who cares.

Both have fun. That’s all that matters.

I really wouldn’t stress about what the hotness of the moment is on the fickle mob book of faces group(s.)

Just have fun and enjoy your own rigs.

Just my .02.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:02 PM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

^^ this.

Not everyone is trying to go vertical, and if they are they’ll quickly learn that too much travel can hurt that. No substitutions for experience.

I almost get more tired of the people foaming at the mouth on Facebook to jump all over anyone that asks about flex. Those posts are usually followed by 50, typically condescending, comments saying flex is sooo bad. Instead of just telling them how to get what they want and adding that too much flex can hurt climbing.

But, that’s the book face, and why I’d much rather talk about tiny trucks with y’all here.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I think there’s a time an a place. My Capra and lcg build with the Capra axles, I like the flex. I drive some pretty technical stuff that’s not always straight up. My Trx4’s in the past and my 10.3 now I want to act like a scale truck but I want clean slow movement. I run heavy oil and light springs because that works for me. But no matter what the rig... who doesn’t like a good flex shot lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
I think there’s a time an a place. My Capra and lcg build with the Capra axles, I like the flex. I drive some pretty technical stuff that’s not always straight up. My Trx4’s in the past and my 10.3 now I want to act like a scale truck but I want clean slow movement. I run heavy oil and light springs because that works for me. But no matter what the rig... who doesn’t like a good flex shot lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scale “movement” of a scale vehicle is something I never even considered. That’s really interesting and taking things up a notch.

Thanks for that insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
^^ this.

Not everyone is trying to go vertical, and if they are they’ll quickly learn that too much travel can hurt that. No substitutions for experience.

I almost get more tired of the people foaming at the mouth on Facebook to jump all over anyone that asks about flex. Those posts are usually followed by 50, typically condescending, comments saying flex is sooo bad. Instead of just telling them how to get what they want and adding that too much flex can hurt climbing.

But, that’s the book face, and why I’d much rather talk about tiny trucks with y’all here.

Too much travel does hurt going vertical....ask me how I know

Front unloads and then you get the ratcheting of the drive train. Lol

The whole face book groups, that’s another discussion I guess. My dog is on bookface so he/I can see HH latest posts. That’s it.

Good post.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:58 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
^^ this.

Yep, for sure. I tried FB groups, they don’t work. You get a lot of horrible responses fast lmao. And the few good ones you get, you can’t ever find them in between the troll comments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:48 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

A lot depends on how your set up.

If you have a TRX that is top heavy and a lot of flex you could have stability issues.

My comp rig is less than 5.5lbs. It has a LCG chassis and only MINMAL weight above the axles, it has more flex and stays stable because the weight is IN THE WHEELS and that holds it down. I am not trailing it at high speeds.

My TRX is lighter than many, just over 7.5lbs still stock chassis but above the axle I keep light and weight in the wheels. It is also setup for comp but still stock shocks. Flex is fine. I could maybe have more flex but don't see the need.

Last edited by MOguy; 11-12-2020 at 06:07 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:05 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Scale “movement” of a scale vehicle is something I never even considered. That’s really interesting and taking things up a notch.

Thanks for that insight.

Too much travel does hurt going vertical....ask me how I know

Front unloads and then you get the ratcheting of the drive train. Lol

The whole face book groups, that’s another discussion I guess. My dog is on bookface so he/I can see HH latest posts. That’s it.

Good post.
Over drive will help here. More will help but depending on what you do there you may not want that much OD/UD.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:57 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Over drive will help here. More will help but depending on what you do there you may not want that much OD/UD.

Thanks!!!!

I already have OD in the front and I took the UD out of the rear.

If having both in there would lessen the front rising up so much on climbs I’ll throw it back in.

Thank you!
Old 11-12-2020, 09:00 AM   #13
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Thanks!!!!

I already have OD in the front and I took the UD out of the rear.

If having both in there would lessen the front rising up so much on climbs I’ll throw it back in.

Thank you!
Give it a shot, should help!
Old 11-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Give it a shot, should help!

Heck yeah Topher!

If it helps, I’m all for it!

The Salinas trans In my Gspeed has a 32-35% overdrive and I’m enjoying how the front end just eats.

So the od/Ud in the Trx4 won’t be as drastic to me as before.

And if the front stays down better, I’m in.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #15
Gold Star Baby!

+ better turning radius, which imo the trx4 needs all the help it can get there.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #16
Slow is the new Fast

An overdriven front axle really is a brilliant feature to have in these 1/10 crawlers(if you are actually crawling). The absence of this feature is the reason my Ascenders are now collecting dust. My Trx4 and Enduro's have stolen the show.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Default Flex obsession

Quote:
An overdriven front axle really is a brilliant feature to have in these 1/10 crawlers(if you are actually crawling). The absence of this feature is the reason my Ascenders are now collecting dust. My Trx4 and Enduro's have stolen the show.

Would it be worth it for me to get an OD gear? I do crawling and trailing, but crawl anytime I come across rocks lmao

ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #18
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Would it be worth it for me to get an OD gear? I do crawling and trailing, but crawl anytime I come across rocks lmao

From my personal experience I would say that If you are engaged in relatively vertical climbs and/or crawling more technical lines, then yeah, for sure install the OD. You should notice the difference, I know I sure did. It gives your front tires more opportunity to pull you over the steep rocks before your rears hook up creating a force to flip you over backwards. If you are mostly trailing in high gear it might not benefit you so much and you are unlikely to notice any benefit.

As also mentioned above the disparity in wheelspin front to back really helps the turning radius of rigs with locked diffs
Old 11-13-2020, 05:12 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post

On my crawler/comb I have 24%-30% OD. On my trailer I have none. I have a Wraith 2.2 for trailing. For comp I am a very nonaggressive deliberate driver, for trailing I am not.

I had 12% on my Wraith but then I put in a MambaX and a HH3800 and it didn't take long (hours) to shred the front OD gear. Now it back to no OD or UD. It doesn't climb as wheel but my driving "technique" is much different with my Wraith then my crawlers.

If you are hitting it hard and fast keep your OD to a minimum (or non at all). If you are crawling and being smart then OD is necessary if you really want to crawl. It works better than adding weight (you still need some low and up front) for climbing and it also helps going down by keeping your front spinning faster than your rear.

Last edited by MOguy; 11-13-2020 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:41 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
From my personal experience I would say that If you are engaged in relatively vertical climbs and/or crawling more technical lines, then yeah, for sure install the OD. You should notice the difference, I know I sure did. It gives your front tires more opportunity to pull you over the steep rocks before your rears hook up creating a force to flip you over backwards. If you are mostly trailing in high gear it might not benefit you so much and you are unlikely to notice any benefit.
This is a good general rule for when over driving the front axle is a benefit. It depends on the driving you do and the terrain you drive on. I don't do much climbing but I do a lot of trail drving and I have no need to over drive the front wheels.

On a seperate note, I have completely stopped frequenting Facebook groups. Part of the problem is that everyone there is an expert, just ask them. All those self-proclaimed "experts" are quick to tell you exactly what you must do to your rig. I have found probably 80% of the facebook advice is absolute crap.

RCC has a great member base and people here will tell you the truth but will also point out that upgrades which work for one person may or may not work best for someone else. Occasionally, one of those facebook experts show up here on RCC and they are pretty quickly called out when they start passing out crap advice. Most don't stay here long. My advice to anyone is to simply ignore facebook, your life will be better off.

Last edited by Inspector86; 11-29-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Flex obsession - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My latest obsession, $25 micro helicopters badger Non Crawler RC's 15 01-30-2013 07:13 AM
How do you pay for your hobby (or obsession)? ElBandito Chit Chat 57 01-28-2013 02:51 PM
New obsession dgna5 Redcat Crawlers 0 03-26-2010 07:59 PM
At what point does this become an obsession RXcrawler Chit Chat 13 10-06-2007 07:54 PM
The start of my TTTT Obsession pigeonfarmboy Chit Chat 25 11-17-2005 07:14 PM