Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Clicky Transmission/Driveshaft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2020, 11:04 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Clicky Transmission/Driveshaft

So I know that this has been asked and solved before.
Taking apart the transmission and reassembling it solves the clicking issue, but it just keeps coming back and reassembling the transmission after every 2 packs is starting to get annoying.

Does anybody have a permanent solution to this? I did notice that my driveshafts were wobbly, maybe that's part of the issue but I'm not sure.

I did lose one of those tiny washers on the 3 gear tranfer case, but it dosen't seem to be effecting anything and I've got new ones backordered.

A little help?
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2020, 11:09 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Clicky Transmission/Driveshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
So I know that this has been asked and solved before.

Taking apart the transmission and reassembling it solves the clicking issue, but it just keeps coming back and reassembling the transmission after every 2 packs is starting to get annoying.

Does anybody have a permanent solution to this? I did notice that my driveshafts were wobbly, maybe that's part of the issue but I'm not sure.

I did lose one of those tiny washers on the 3 gear tranfer case, but it dosen't seem to be effecting anything and I've got new ones backordered.

A little help?
I noticed a lot of the sounds I was hearing on my sport were solved by fully disassembling at least the rear preferably both drive shafts, the little plastic collar around the end that the pin goes through to hold it in place comes off then you push the pin out of the metal sleeve that's left, then the joint itself comes out and you'll notice inside both cup type pieces there are tiny fine little particles of ground up sand at least in my case so a simple spray and re-lube didn't fix it once I realized just how much dirt was stuck in there and having to physically brush it out with q-tips toothbrushes etc I solved a lot of the noise.

R.C. means both;Remote control, and Rock Crawler.
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Are you indexing all the gears and output shafts? When I built mine, I read that they were sensitive to that. So between that and some good marine grease I never had an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:45 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Are you indexing all the gears and output shafts? When I built mine, I read that they were sensitive to that. So between that and some good marine grease I never had an issue

What do you mean by indexing gears? I googled it and didn't get much. The gear mesh is good and the shift works smoothly. I regreased the whole thing with marine grease a bit back.

I'll check the driveshafts, mine are pretty clean but the sound does sound like its coming from the more rear side of the transmission/driveshafts.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:33 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
What do you mean by indexing gears? I googled it and didn't get much. The gear mesh is good and the shift works smoothly. I regreased the whole thing with marine grease a bit back.

I'll check the driveshafts, mine are pretty clean but the sound does sound like its coming from the more rear side of the transmission/driveshafts.
The crappy part about it, is that sometimes if there's sand within a bearing, you won't hear it unless there's a load on that bearing meaning some weight while it rotates

Old 11-18-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
RCC Addict

There’s a couple articles here in RCC about it. One guy did some shimming but what I’m talking about it making sure the pin holes for the drive shaft are lined up for front and rear output shafts. Also lining up the pin holes on the axles with the pin holes on the trans if that makes sense. If not I’ll see if I can find the articles

Old 11-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Default Clicky Transmission/Driveshaft

I “think” what Fricker is describing is also known as “driveshaft phasing” or driveshafts “in phase.” I “think.”

Meaning that the driveshaft pinholes line up or are “in phase” from differential to differential.

This all starts at the transmission’s outputs.

This is a new take off Sport/single speed trans. I got off eBay.

You can see that the driveshaft pin holes are lined up, phased or the same orientation.

Actually, I think it’s off one tooth but it’s 100% better than my stock sport trans that’s off 90 degrees and clicks pretty good.

My plan is to tear my stock trans apart and get the outputs phased to see if it helps or hopefully resolves the clicking.

I do not know if this would be the same procedure for the 2 speed trans or not. I have no experience with that.

Hopefully this helps and is what Fricker is talking about.

ETA - I reread your original post and had initially glossed over some things.

If you’ve been refreshing your trans on a frequent basis I’d think you’ve got the outputs phased.

The missing shim though.

You refurb the trans, pack it with grease, and the tolerances are tightened up. Clicking stops.

Grease dissipates after use, loosens up and clicking starts.

Here is a fantastic thread regarding clicking. I mean awesome.

Transmission Clicking Fix
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

All of shims needed are listed by part numbers.

Good luck.

Last edited by Benp; 11-18-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:09 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Hey thanks, that’s exactly what I was talking about. Mine was a 2 speed, and didn’t have any problems.
Hopefully with some shimming and phasing it will be good

Old 11-18-2020, 10:45 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
I “think” what Fricker is describing is also known as “driveshaft phasing” or driveshafts “in phase.” I “think.”

Meaning that the driveshaft pinholes line up or are “in phase” from differential to differential.

This all starts at the transmission’s outputs.

This is a new take off Sport/single speed trans. I got off eBay.

You can see that the driveshaft pin holes are lined up, phased or the same orientation.

Actually, I think it’s off one tooth but it’s 100% better than my stock sport trans that’s off 90 degrees and clicks pretty good.

My plan is to tear my stock trans apart and get the outputs phased to see if it helps or hopefully resolves the clicking.

I do not know if this would be the same procedure for the 2 speed trans or not. I have no experience with that.

Hopefully this helps and is what Fricker is talking about.

ETA - I reread your original post and had initially glossed over some things.

If you’ve been refreshing your trans on a frequent basis I’d think you’ve got the outputs phased.

The missing shim though.

You refurb the trans, pack it with grease, and the tolerances are tightened up. Clicking stops.

Grease dissipates after use, loosens up and clicking starts.

Here is a fantastic thread regarding clicking. I mean awesome.

Transmission Clicking Fix
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

All of shims needed are listed by part numbers.

Good luck.

Oh wow, thanks for this Benp!

I didn’t even know this is something that needs done. I’ll definitely me tearing my tranny apart and fixing it, even though I don’t have any clicking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:42 PM   #10
RCC Addict

One other thing to look at is the pinion gear on your motor. If it is set too deep the grub screw will click on the spur gear.

Last edited by Inspector86; 11-29-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:03 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
One other thing to look at is the pinion gear on your motor. If it is set too deep the grub screw will click on the spur gear.
Yes, and since you can’t see it when it’s mounted, it’s a little tricky to get right sometimes.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Sorry if this is dumb, but what do you mean by “setting the pinion too deep?”

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Sorry if this is dumb, but what do you mean by “setting the pinion too deep?”

Thanks!
Either too far in-towards motor? Or too far "out" on the motor shaft? I cant decide either but would love to learn the terminology!

Old 11-25-2020, 07:32 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Shallow or deep simply refers the alignment of the pinion gear relative to the spur gear. If the pinion is set too shallow there is simply not full tooth engagement with the spur gear. However, If the pinion is set too deep the spur gear teeth will come in contact the hub section of the pinion gear, the section where the grub screw is located. You can get away with the pinion being set too shallow, but if the pinion is set too deep the spur gear teeth will run in contact with the hub and possibly the grub screw resulting in wear on the edge of the spur gear teeth as well as excessive noise.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:46 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Shallow or deep simply refers the alignment of the pinion gear relative to the spur gear. If the pinion is set too shallow there is simply not full tooth engagement with the spur gear. However, If the pinion is set too deep the spur gear teeth will come in contact the hub section of the pinion gear, the section where the grub screw is located. You can get away with the pinion being set too shallow, but if the pinion is set too deep the spur gear teeth will run in contact with the hub and possibly the grub screw resulting in wear on the edge of the spur gear teeth as well as excessive noise.
Thank you @Inspector86

Old 11-26-2020, 05:24 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Gotcha!

Thank you for the explanation!
Old 11-29-2020, 12:42 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I ordered some Traxxas 1985 shims, they come in a pack of 20.

They'll work for the transfer case shimming, but will they work for the main transmission shimming?

Clicky Transmission/Driveshaft - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grub Screws for driveshaft at transmission DLRC Vaterra Ascender 1 08-23-2020 06:32 AM
MOA versus driveshaft/transmission ctracy Newbie General 50 07-24-2010 04:50 PM
transmission/driveshaft help mudslinger74 General Crawlers 1 01-19-2008 03:00 PM
Clicky Axle Fix LiftedSuzuki General Crawlers 3 12-06-2006 10:34 AM
Those that were at the raffle<Clicky jason General Crawlers 8 01-04-2005 05:47 PM