Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: trx4 sport, shock HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2020, 07:10 PM   #1

Default trx4 sport, shock HELP!

I want to get more flex out of my truck. I have checked out multiple options.
I want to get some 110-120mm shocks on my truck without raising the ride hight up.
relocate shock location?
droop set up with internal spring shocks?
here are some pictures with options I've bin considering
Attached Images

downieville is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #2

Default Re: trx4 sport, shock HELP!

here is what the truck currently sits like
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2020, 03:49 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I will chime in on this with my experience. I have been chasing a longer travel setup for majority of summer and fall. Winter is here, so the chase resumes next year.

For what you are asking, be prepared for a non stop tinkerfest, with a lot of wheel time tuning.

I run the IERC scaler rear shock towers. Allows multiple shock positions.

Samix towers in the front. Again multiple shock positions but more important the panhard mount is excellent.

I’m running 110 Desert Lizards. This is where the tinkering begins. I wish they made 105s as that would be about right.

With just the included spring set, I couldn’t get the ride height low enough. The front pinion angle was too much just at rest, let alone fully extended.

So, I ordered 2 complete additional spring sets.

All you are going to be using are the soft springs.

I’d also plan on getting an e clip tool. I’ve had my shocks torn apart a lot.

I think I’m currently running 2 of the small softs in each shock.

There is pretty much zero compression and all travel.

Once you have the ride height figured out, then you can play with piston holes and oil.

One big down side is when going up, the front raises up/ unloads, the driveshaft starts binding and ratcheting.

So I’m going to try and combat this with more overdrive. I’ll put the rear under back in along with the front to help keep the front down. I’m going to try limiter straps as well.

Also, travel in the front is limited by the stock linkage. Only goes so far. Rear goes down a touch more.

I’m pleased with the quality of the desert lizard shocks. For as how many times I’ve had them apart, zero leaks.

Be mindful that their bodies are a bigger diameter than stock. So I have the shocks shimmed out.

The Trx4 is sitting up 1.25” higher than the red rig.

It travels pretty good.

All I do is slow crawl rocks.

https://youtu.be/T4DJmwIgPCQ

I feel you need to be aware that there is more than just throwing new shocks in. A lot of variables when wanting to keep stock ride height.

I had it setup pretty good with stock shocks and was able to drop the ride height 3/4” with just the new shock towers.

I have things documented pretty good in the “what did I do to my trx4” thread.

Good luck!

Last edited by Benp; 11-30-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
I will chime in on this with my experience. I have been chasing a longer travel setup for majority of summer and fall. Winter is here, so the chase resumes next year.

For what you are asking, be prepared for a non stop tinkerfest, with a lot of wheel time tuning.

I run the IERC scaler rear shock towers. Allows multiple shock positions.

Samix towers in the front. Again multiple shock positions but more important the panhard mount is excellent.

I’m running 110 Desert Lizards. This is where the tinkering begins. I wish they made 105s as that would be about right.

With just the included spring set, I couldn’t get the ride height low enough. The front pinion angle was too much just at rest, let alone fully extended.

So, I ordered 2 complete additional spring sets.

All you are going to be using are the soft springs.

I’d also plan on getting an e clip tool. I’ve had my shocks torn apart a lot.

I think I’m currently running 2 of the small softs in each shock.

There is pretty much zero compression and all travel.

Once you have the ride height figured out, then you can play with piston holes and oil.

One big down side is when going up, the front raises up/ unloads, the driveshaft starts binding and ratcheting.

So I’m going to try and combat this with more overdrive. I’ll put the rear under back in along with the front to help keep the front down. I’m going to try limiter straps as well.

Also, travel in the front is limited by the stock linkage. Only goes so far. Rear goes down a touch more.

I’m pleased with the quality of the desert lizard shocks. For as how many times I’ve had them apart, zero leaks.

Be mindful that their bodies are a bigger diameter than stock. So I have the shocks shimmed out.

The Trx4 is sitting up 1.25” higher than the red rig.

It travels pretty good.

All I do is slow crawl rocks.

https://youtu.be/T4DJmwIgPCQ

I feel you need to be aware that there is more than just throwing new shocks in. A lot of variables when wanting to keep stock ride height.

I had it setup pretty good with stock shocks and was able to drop the ride height 3/4” with just the new shock towers.

I have things documented pretty good in the “what did I do to my trx4” thread.

Good luck!
Solid walk through if you're chasing droop.

I only added 100mm desert lizard and long travel servo mount. I'm super happy with it, but you NEED the long travel servo drop mount. I found the only limiting factor to be the front drive shaft, side to side front travel is perfect. My rear links are close to being maxed out but I don't mind, could get the longer links from a different rig and screw on your eyelets.

My tires and foams are pretty well worn on my trx4 but the pictures should show the travel I got out of it. The Capra is stock, and it sucks for the crawling I do. Both have same size tires as well. Capra should come with bigger tires and more travel stock.
Attached Images

Last edited by CNCist; 12-03-2020 at 03:17 AM.
CNCist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:21 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCist View Post
Solid walk through if you're chasing droop.

I only added 100mm desert lizard and long travel servo mount. I'm super happy with it, but you NEED the long travel servo drop mount. I found the only limiting factor to be the front drive shaft, side to side front travel is perfect. My rear links are close to being maxed out but I don't mind, could get the longer links from a different rig and screw on your eyelets.

My tires and foams are pretty well worn on my trx4 but the pictures should show the travel I got out of it. The Capra is stock, and it sucks for the crawling I do. Both have same size tires as well. Capra should come with bigger tires and more travel stock.

Very nice!

Absolutely agree on the long travel servo mount. That would help so much.

ETA - Your pictures definitely show the improvement when using the long travel servo mount.

My front doesn’t hang down that far.

Last edited by Benp; 12-03-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #6

thanks for the info guys! any chance you can send me a link or more information about the servo modification you are talking about? thanks again!
Old 12-10-2020, 05:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Very nice!

Absolutely agree on the long travel servo mount. That would help so much.

ETA - Your pictures definitely show the improvement when using the long travel servo mount.

My front doesn’t hang down that far.

is this what your talking about?
Old 12-10-2020, 05:56 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by downieville View Post

is this what your talking about?

Picture isn’t working.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:01 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Picture is not working for me either.

This is what @CNCist is talking about.

https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/8141

It lowers the servo down and the panhard mount so the steering link and panhard bar are allowed to travel down more.

It never dawned on me that there would be the lowered panhard mount as well. I’d be very curious to the strength of that. The stock one is marginal at best with higher torque servos so I’d imagine a longer plastic one wouldn’t be too great.

I absolutely could be wrong though.

Last edited by Benp; 12-11-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:52 PM   #10

Has anyone tried the Traxxas long travel servo mount to provide feedback if there is flexibly in the plastic mount? I am current using the Samix due to the solidness it provides but at the same time I want to use a 100 or 110mm shock as we are always looking for more travel.
farmjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote

trx4 sport, shock HELP! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 or TRX4 Sport Kit? Help please. m4inbrain Traxxas Crawlers 13 09-01-2021 07:47 AM
TRX4 Sport body on TRX4 Crawler kit chassisc redpeppers Paint and Body 7 09-14-2019 12:59 AM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM