Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: RCBee TRX-4 Honey Comp Crawler Differential Modification HELP ADVICE BUZZZZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default RCBee TRX-4 Honey Comp Crawler Differential Modification HELP ADVICE BUZZZZ

BUZZ BUZZ everyone!!!! I am need some comments and suggestions on my ongoing TRX4 Honey Comp Crawler and soon to start building the TRX4 Honey Comp Buzzer 4WS project but I Digress and am talking about the axles and differentials on the TRX4 I had my fun with locking and unlocking and im over it and just want locked differentials and just ordered 2 of the Traxxas spools for locking the diffs and am looking forward to freeing up the space the weight and the channels on my flysky so I can add a winch and 4WS if I want to down th line!!

Has anybody locked out their Differentials on the TRX4??? Removed servos???
that's what im going to do very soon and need input???

Also does anybody know if you can set the 2 locking diff servos to one dedicated channel so they lock and unlock at the same time??? if I want that option on my 4WS project or not..... BUZZZZZ BUZZZZZZ......
Attached Images

Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: RCBee TRX-4 Honey Comp Crawler Differential Modification HELP ADVICE BUZZZZ

Hey brother, your rig is looking great! Subscribed to your YouTube channel! I recently switched out my selectable front diff with a LockedUp RC FI locker. It's a heavier locker to put some weight down low. It installed very easily and was a great price. They make some great products. As far as putting both diff servos on the same channel. You could easily use a splitter, but I don't know if they would work right. only cause I think one servo locks one direction and the other goes the opposite direction. Honestly I rarely used my selectable diffs. Most of the time that I did use it. It was only the rear one. Really not needed in my opinion. If I was building a comp rig. It definitely wouldn't have selectable lockers. I will be posting a video in the near future of the FI locker and the install on my channel. Good luck! Keep up the great work.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: RCBee TRX-4 Honey Comp Crawler Differential Modification HELP ADVICE BUZZZZ

hey man thanks its work in progress among too many projects at the moment being cooked up indoors so this TRX4 im trying to get to the closest comp level of performance and capability and its very very close im almost on the verge to go too far as im reworking the servo situation possible motor esc switch and winch in the back and the diff locking is going to be nice!!!! it was nice to feel like a child again and have a rig with lots of servos and pushing buttons and such and then you just want to performance drive you rig and cut the loose diffs I get it im going through all the motions of RC cliches after 20 years out of the game but so good to be back!!! BUZZZZZZZ......
Old 12-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

this is what's on the table waiting to get installed but the reefs 500 and the Holmes pro custom 20t and hobby wing 1080 are rocking that almost 8 lb rig and it pulls whatever even finally bent the Hot Racing Panhard which I was expecting and waiting to happen!!
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I’m excited to see how that beast of a 777 is!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Buzzz Buzzzz ScaleLIfe. Aloha yes that 777 is scaring me the Raw 500 already bent my Panhard and is getting beefed up im gonna start posting this week and next.... and working on a video and song!!!!

im also excited about the Holmes Magnum Motor.....BUZZZZZZZ.....
Old 12-03-2020, 04:25 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyman108 View Post
Buzzz Buzzzz ScaleLIfe. Aloha yes that 777 is scaring me the Raw 500 already bent my Panhard and is getting beefed up im gonna start posting this week and next.... and working on a video and song!!!!

im also excited about the Holmes Magnum Motor.....BUZZZZZZZ.....

Ouch! Can’t imagine what the triple 7 would do if you didn’t beef it up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

ill tell you what it would definitely not be able o handle stock Panhard plastic it would snap it unless reinforced... BUZZZZ.....
Old 12-04-2020, 04:37 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Default RCBee TRX-4 Honey Comp Crawler Differential Modification HELP ADVICE BUZZZZ

I’ve had great luck with the Samix upper panhard mount. It’s very stout construction and captures the panhard bar like stock.

You definitely are going to find weak links with a stronger servo. I stripped out the stock lower panhard mount, so upgraded to aluminum which has held up very well.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the 777 in action.

ETA - one more thing regarding your servo.
I see you have the 3s balance port adapter to power the servo. Holmes Hobbies strongly recommends against this practice for powering the servo instead of soldering in a JST to the battery connector of the ESC and connecting that way.

There should be a solderable JST plug included with your servo that you can use.

I know it’s 2 different brands of servos but the basic principle still applies.

I felt you should at least be aware.

Last edited by Benp; 12-04-2020 at 02:17 PM.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
I’ve had great luck with the Samix upper panhard mount. It’s very stout construction and captures the panhard bar like stock.

You definitely are going to find weak links with a stronger servo. I stripped out the stock lower mount, so upgraded to aluminum which has held up very well.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the 777 in action.

ETA - one more thing regarding your servo.
I see you have the 3s balance port adapter to power the servo. Holmes Hobbies strongly recommends against this practice for powering the servo instead of soldering in a JST to the battery connector of the ESC and connecting that way.

There should be a solderable JST plug included with your servo that you can use.

I know it’s 2 different brands of servos but the basic principle still applies.

I felt you should at least be aware.

BUZZ BUZZ Benp great info man!!!! you beat me to the post!!!! Im actually working on the TRX4 today and am installing the Samix Shock and Panhard mounts I had already ordered and had on reserve because I knew the Hot racing Panhard was going to fail so I had a pair front and rear and a pair of double front for my 4 steering trx4 Comp buzzer they are rock solid!!!

I need a little more input so im going to gather my parts as I have 2 triple 7's and a bunch of adapters and also on my gspeed build box I gave a 3 brothers direct to battery servo!!!

I. guess I got a lot of soldering t do pain in the butt!!! butt im a good solderer so they will be done to spec but I need a step by step and why re 3 brothers and reefs selling these cables if they don't work??? Buzzz Buzzzz...

ik going to collect all these servos and cables and pst it up on a new thread about this and ill post the samix install and a couple other mods im doing today!!!!

thanks for your helping don't stop Buzzing me on my builds I am full blown OCD maniac I like things right and functional so the help is priceless brother.... BUZZZZZZ....
Old 12-04-2020, 11:00 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Good to hear!

The cables do in fact work, but not optimally and could possibly lead to a failure down the road.

I ran a G13 for a few weeks using the adapter cable before my mamba x showed up and it worked fine.

Although I can totally see the unneeded wear and tear on the balance port by hooking up to and unhooking from the servo all the time.

Now it’s always hooked up to the jst at the battery plug.

ETA - Here’s a video where John Holmes shows how to solder up a battery and jst connector to an ESC

https://youtu.be/VCuSbBoJ_sg

ETA 2 -

Here is what the JST connector looks like attached to the battery plug. Although you can’t physically see the connections, you get the idea.

Last edited by Benp; 12-04-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Hey BENP my brother haven't gotten to the posting but saw this last message I get the soldering now that's easy my question is? are you doing that so the esc still cuts off when the lipo battery is below certain volts ??

I was going to use 2 small batteries one for servo one for esc but my problem is how do I know my lipo is going to low voltage on the servo ? I have a voltage checker but im pretty sure that servo does not have the ability to cut off the battery??

im not sure if the servo as that protection but I have not programed the servo yet!!! too many ****ing RC projects I feel like a Bee in A big puddle of HONEY but I guess that's not a bad thing.... BUZZZZZ.....
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2020, 06:35 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Hey BENP my brother haven't gotten to the posting but saw this last message I get the soldering now that's easy my question is? are you doing that so the esc still cuts off when the lipo battery is below certain volts ??

I was going to use 2 small batteries one for servo one for esc but my problem is how do I know my lipo is going to low voltage on the servo ? I have a voltage checker but im pretty sure that servo does not have the ability to cut off the battery??

im not sure if the servo as that protection but I have not programed the servo yet!!! too many ****ing RC projects I feel like a Bee in A big puddle of HONEY but I guess that's not a bad thing.... BUZZZZZ.....

Everything runs off 1 battery. No need for servo specific battery.

My esc lipo cutoff is 3.4v. Meaning battery gets to 3.4v per cell esc starts squawking. This is on the conservative side.

That’s it. Time to put fresh battery in.

HW 1080 has same lipo cutoff adjustability.

There are no direct powered servo issues with this.

You’re not going to hurt the servo with lower voltage. Maybe a little less performance ....that’s it. And with how stout that servo is I would think you wouldn’t notice it

Went back and re read your post. To me, what your are worried about is a non issue.

A direct powered servo is by far the easiest and simplest way to run a servo. In my simple newbie opinion.

The biggest threat to your servo is leaving it plugged in to the battery when fun time is over.

ETA - Exocaged Rc’s YouTube channel has a good video regarding the tuning of the Triple 7.

I found it pretty interesting.

Last edited by Benp; 12-05-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Everything runs off 1 battery. No need for servo specific battery.

My esc lipo cutoff is 3.4v. Meaning battery gets to 3.4v per cell esc starts squawking. This is on the conservative side.

That’s it. Time to put fresh battery in.

HW 1080 has same lipo cutoff adjustability.

There are no direct powered servo issues with this.

You’re not going to hurt the servo with lower voltage. Maybe a little less performance ....that’s it. And with how stout that servo is I would think you wouldn’t notice it

Went back and re read your post. To me, what your are worried about is a non issue.

A direct powered servo is by far the easiest and simplest way to run a servo. In my simple newbie opinion.

The biggest threat to your servo is leaving it plugged in to the battery when fun time is over.

ETA - Exocaged Rc’s YouTube channel has a good video regarding the tuning of the Triple 7.

I found it pretty interesting.

so I got a couple of these adapters so when I change the servos to direct power I can test direct battery or through esc plug!!!
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2020, 12:04 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

SO going ahead and locking both diffs on the Honey Comp Rig im done with the diff locking servos and the lockers on the differentials and also I need the space in the Rig and the 2 diff servo channels free for 2 triple 444 winches im installing and I got some nice lockers from locked up RC.com they have great reviews and I can't wait to feel the torque once fully locked diffs are in my crawling!!!!

https://www.lockeduprc.com

https://www.lockeduprc.com/FI-Spool-TRX-4_p_1148.html
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
SO going ahead and locking both diffs on the Honey Comp Rig im done with the diff locking servos and the lockers on the differentials and also I need the space in the Rig and the 2 diff servo channels free for 2 triple 444 winches im installing and I got some nice lockers from locked up RC.com they have great reviews and I can't wait to feel the torque once fully locked diffs are in my crawling!!!!

https://www.lockeduprc.com

https://www.lockeduprc.com/FI-Spool-TRX-4_p_1148.html

My interest has been piqued for a while with the steel spools.

I run steel wheels now and wonder at point xx amount of rotational mass becomes a detriment.

Or I get the LURC spools and some nice light wheels.

Quote:
so I got a couple of these adapters so when I change the servos to direct power I can test direct battery or through esc plug!!!

Those will do the trick!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2020, 08:06 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
My interest has been piqued for a while with the steel spools.

I run steel wheels now and wonder at point xx amount of rotational mass becomes a detriment.

Or I get the LURC spools and some nice light wheels.

Those will do the trick!!!!!!

Hey Benp let e know if your using brass and on what kind of rig???? unless your wheels are like rocks it should be fine on the rotational mass unless they are 2.2 wheels???

hopefully I get those lockers this week & I can start to morph this rig into the RescueBee Comp Rig and make the new TRX4 4WS the main comp rig of the 2!!!

check these DSM OFF ROAD self recovery system im adding to the RescueBee Rig...
im adding to winches and 2 recovery systems to make this rig pull 4 ways!!!!

BUZZZZZZ.......
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Only brass is ssd front portal brass on the Trx4. Wheels are gmade steelies. There is a little weight to them.

I like those DSM systems. I’d like to try the integrated one.

My GSpeed came with a couple of the clip n versions. Work pretty god!
Old 12-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Only brass is ssd front portal brass on the Trx4. Wheels are gmade steelies. There is a little weight to them.

I like those DSM systems. I’d like to try the integrated one.

My GSpeed came with a couple of the clip n versions. Work pretty god!
they have Gspeed TGH version that uses the TGH double front servo mount its really cool!!!
also the mount for the winch which can be used almost anywhere!!!
Attached Images

RCBee TRX-4 Honey Comp Crawler Differential Modification HELP ADVICE BUZZZZ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RCBee TRX-4 Honey Comp Crawler Build Full Mod Honeyman108 Traxxas TRX-4 170 10-16-2021 08:29 AM
TRX-4 Honey Comp Crawler Maiden Voyage Honeyman108 Traxxas TRX-4 3 10-28-2020 09:20 PM
TRX4 HoneyBee Comp Crawler Body Post Modification Hot Racing Honeyman108 General Crawlers 0 10-23-2020 07:35 PM
TRX-4 Defender Modification Suggestions CodeEzra_RC Paint and Body 6 05-01-2019 11:14 AM
Need some 3rd channel modification advice bvitale Electronics 0 10-04-2014 11:34 PM