Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Winch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Winch?

So I’m thinking about adding a winch and have no idea which one to get. Also I probably need a new bumper. What ideas do any of you have?

PFongemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Winch?

I’ve never owned one, but a lot of people have good luck with the RC4WD Warn winch, and at $35, might as well try it out. Is there any flat spot on that bumper? It comes with a mounting plate.

https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-110-Wa...ch_p_3734.html

RC4WD also has a winch controller for it, I don’t think it’s included with the winch though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I’ve never owned one, but a lot of people have good luck with the RC4WD Warn winch, and at $35, might as well try it out. Is there any flat spot on that bumper? It comes with a mounting plate.

https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-110-Wa...ch_p_3734.html

RC4WD also has a winch controller for it, I don’t think it’s included with the winch though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was looking at those. If I go that route I’d need a new bumper. Which I’m still trying to find one that looks good for my truck. The bumper I have does have a spot for the cable to come through, I’ll just have to cut the diamond plate.
I’m kinda leaning towards a servo winch. Just need to figure out which one and a mounting plate.
PFongemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:05 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Whatever you do, DON'T BUY TAHT RC4WD WINCH CONTROLLER!!!

It's bulky, not waterproof at all and they fail regularly. It's junk.

There's a vendor on here (HeyOK Performance) and he makes a $25 winch controller that's leaps and bounds better than the RC4WD junk; tiny, waterproof and reliable. He also makes another style that's a little bit more money but can run higher voltages so your winch will be faster and stronger. He also has a wireless option available as well if you don't have an extra on your Tx to run a winch.

As far as the winch itself, a good bet is the RC4WD Warn winch but the best bet (for a scale inch anyways) is the RC4WD scale 8274. The free spool option is mucho excellente to have when you need to spool out line for far away pull and it's crazy strong...
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Whatever you do, DON'T BUY TAHT RC4WD WINCH CONTROLLER!!!

It's bulky, not waterproof at all and they fail regularly. It's junk.

There's a vendor on here (HeyOK Performance) and he makes a $25 winch controller that's leaps and bounds better than the RC4WD junk; tiny, waterproof and reliable. He also makes another style that's a little bit more money but can run higher voltages so your winch will be faster and stronger. He also has a wireless option available as well if you don't have an extra on your Tx to run a winch.

As far as the winch itself, a good bet is the RC4WD Warn winch but the best bet (for a scale inch anyways) is the RC4WD scale 8274. The free spool option is mucho excellente to have when you need to spool out line for far away pull and it's crazy strong...
Everything @QuesoDelDiablo said!!
x154! I have so far, only tried a few of HeyOK's Aux channel switches. (Allows me to turn on/off my lightbar(s), rock lights, etc via my Transmitter. But the products are "on fleek". Nice presentation, perfectly executed function, as well as HELLA-affordable! @heyok could you please point this lad in your web-store's direction?

R.C. means both;Remote control, and Rock Crawler.
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Friends trx4 its the 8274 winch and hot racing front bumper. I think there was some drilling/ cutting to get the winch on. This one has plenty of power as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
talltee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Bowhouse servo winch mount with a servo winch. Works out well!

OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Yep, gotta agree with Queso'. I'm running the Warn and Al's (HeyOk) winch/light controller. Love 'em both! The winch controller has a soft-start feature that is really nice too. The big Warn will lift the truck into a tree, or pull out other rigs 2 or 3 at a time. And with just a little work it'll fit behind the bumper mount.

Then you just need a hole in the bumper and a fairlead, not a new bumper.

Just my 2 cents.

jim

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 12-03-2020 at 03:55 PM. Reason: oopsy poopsy
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:14 AM   #9
Go Buckeyes!

Another option for a winch is a servo winch with a 3D printed mount or homemade mount to fit in between the inner fenders. I've burn't up too many of the RC4WD winches, so I went with the 3Brothers Overlander winch. This winch mount is a 3D print from 3DtoRC on Thingiverse. It is an easy print and fits great!

Name:  IMG_5751.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  177.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5752.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  167.5 KB
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Thank you all for the mention of my winch and light controller products.
This link will take you to winch items in my web store:
https://www.freewebstore.org/heyok-p...3_1588136.aspx

Thanks,
Al
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:25 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFongemie View Post
So I’m thinking about adding a winch and have no idea which one to get. Also I probably need a new bumper. What ideas do any of you have?

If you want a winch that kind of sorta of works and you want it scale but don't want to spend that much get the RC4WD Warn 9500.

If you want a scale winch that really really works get the RC4WD Warn 8274.

I have mounted a winch on a cheap 15 dollar stinger I got on Amazon and it works great BUT it moght not look right on your RC.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Another option for a winch is a servo winch with a 3D printed mount or homemade mount to fit in between the inner fenders. I've burn't up too many of the RC4WD winches, so I went with the 3Brothers Overlander winch. This winch mount is a 3D print from 3DtoRC on Thingiverse. It is an easy print and fits great!

Attachment 392884

Attachment 392885
It all depends on how big you want to go. The RC4WD winches provide a scale look, but I have not found one yet that I couldn't easily burn up. I like servo winches, I buy 25kg servos off of Amazon, strip the guts out of them and wire them up to a HW1060 ESC. The mount above is one that I designed (3DtoRC is my Thingiverse channel), and it works very well. There are a couple versions of this mount to fit your needs, or if you want something specific, let me know, I can see if I can't modify the design.

Another option is to go full-retard with it. I have also designed a winch using a 1/18 scale transmission that is an absolute beast. I am using this in my TRX6 (post #24), the base for this is also on my Thingiverse channel.

Greatscott's TRX-6
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:10 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Gonna throw a dumb question in here - - - is the second servo slot on the front of an Enduro frame for a servo winch, or is it just in case you want to switch the steering/panhard/all of that to the passenger side for some reason?
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:23 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Gonna throw a dumb question in here - - - is the second servo slot on the front of an Enduro frame for a servo winch, or is it just in case you want to switch the steering/panhard/all of that to the passenger side for some reason?
it could be for either
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #15
RCC Addict

*cool...Googles price of winch and controller...decides to pick up truck with his hands lol. I may do this eventually, it is intriguing but gotta buy like 8lbs of brass things first haha.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:03 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Not trying to thread Jack but I recently saw a picture where somebody transferred on their TRX4 the stock steering servo location to the front most position on a bumper mount with a servo mt

Anyone know why? Seems like u can put ur servo in a bit of danger on the rocks? If u have personally done it, whats the Pros?

R.C. means both;Remote control, and Rock Crawler.
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
*cool...Googles price of winch and controller...decides to pick up truck with his hands lol. I may do this eventually, it is intriguing but gotta buy like 8lbs of brass things first haha.
A 20kg continuous rotation servo can plug right into a spare receiver channel with no external controller needed, is strong enough to deadlift a 10+ lb truck and can be had with an aluminum winch spool for about $30.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
A 20kg continuous rotation servo can plug right into a spare receiver channel with no external controller needed, is strong enough to deadlift a 10+ lb truck and can be had with an aluminum winch spool for about $30.

Ahhh. I was under the impression it needed to be regulated due the creep and what not. Certainly is affordable if you go that route.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:15 PM   #19
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
It all depends on how big you want to go. The RC4WD winches provide a scale look, but I have not found one yet that I couldn't easily burn up. I like servo winches, I buy 25kg servos off of Amazon, strip the guts out of them and wire them up to a HW1060 ESC. The mount above is one that I designed (3DtoRC is my Thingiverse channel), and it works very well. There are a couple versions of this mount to fit your needs, or if you want something specific, let me know, I can see if I can't modify the design.

Another option is to go full-retard with it. I have also designed a winch using a 1/18 scale transmission that is an absolute beast. I am using this in my TRX6 (post #24), the base for this is also on my Thingiverse channel.

Greatscott's TRX-6
Yeah, I completely agree! I do like the scale looks of the RC4WD winch. I'm just too hard on them to last very long! I have used just the case of the winch mounted to the bumper and ran my winch line thru it from my servo winch to make it look like the RC4WD winch was in use. Kept the scale look of the winch with the strength of the servo winch.

I do have a few of the cheap 20kg and 25kg servos from Amazon that I did turn into servo winches. Paired up with a HW 1060 or 1080 ESC and they make for a very strong winch. I have yet to destroy one of those!

The mount you designed and shared on Thingiverse is very nice! Thanks for sharing it!

Quote:
Ahhh. I was under the impression it needed to be regulated due the creep and what not. Certainly is affordable if you go that route.
I had the creep problem with my first servo winch I made out of a 20kg Amazon servo. Even after super gluing the potentiometer, the servo still liked to ever so slightly creep out. That was a pain in the butt to deal with, so I solved that problem by hooking up a HW1060 ESC. Works great and no creep!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Can anyone tell me if i can power the wireless winch controller off the spare jst connector coming off of the XL5 esc? And yes it is the RC4WD controller. I figuered I've already got it so might as well try to use it. When it craps out I'll go with the controller mentioned in the earlier comments. Thanks in advance and sorry for hijacking the post.
offroad1911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Winch? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
impulse winch buy, rc4wd, custom bumper and winch pull test evan03 Axial Wraith 13 03-10-2013 09:15 PM